Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Where does all this vitriole come from regarding Palin? I don't think Palin is the second coming of Christ, but come on...she's not some drooling on herself, evil witch.

Have you people listened to and taken a look at Jim Martin? Regardless of your politics, any reasonable person has to admit that he's an empty suit put up by the party bosses. Is that the best that Georgia's Democratic Party can do?

Palin is clearly out of her league. First of all McCain made a major mistake nominating Palin, and Palin should have realized she wasn't presidential material. Somehow, she still seems to be living in a fantasy world. Her credentials are less than stellar. A lot less than stellar.

While Saxby Chambliss was wearing his Brooks Brothers suits in the '60s, Jim Martin was wearing his army fatigues in Vietnam. A "major" football injury, and five college deferments, kept Saxby Chambliss out of Vietnam.

Today, Saxby Chambliss is regarded as one of the BEST golfers in Washington. I'm not speaking in terms of physically-challenged/handicapped golfers. No! I'm speaking in terms of able-bodied golfers, regardless of age or physical impairment. In addition, Chambliss is 65-years-old.

Compute this information and see what you get. With this information, my computer seems to be malfunctioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post

While Saxby Chambliss was wearing his Brooks Brothers suits in the '60s, Jim Martin was wearing his army fatigues in Vietnam. A "major" football injury, and five college deferments, kept Saxby Chambliss out of Vietnam.
Agreed, but we can make those same arguments with regard to George HW Bush and Bill Clinton, and John McCain and Barack Obama. Clinton (a draft dodger) beat a decorated war veteran, and Obama (never served) beat a decorated war veteran and former POW.

I respect the military and those who serve (I am part of a military family), but that doesn't wash away every other aspect of their lives, especially when they run for office. Your political views and record in office, and statements of policy hold more weight for me.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 AM

274 posts, read 860,397 times
Keep Palin, move the city of Wasilla here (it's beautiful) you can have the entire county of Clayton and Perdue and his (our) tax dollar fish museum. A 'friggin' fish museum?????????? and we are in a recession !!!!!!!!!
Franklin stays.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:

As for Palin being a "dingbat"...again, I think that comes more from people watching Tina Fey parody her (eg..I can see Russia from my house) than it does from anything she's actually done. . .
Maybe it was here interview with Couric, when didn't understand the bush doctrine, equated neighboring Russia as foreign policy experience, not being able to name "ONE" supreme court case except Roe V. Wade, refusing to reveal which newspapers she read to stay informed. Maybe it was when she didnt realize that the Vice President doesn't "run" the Senate, or being pranked called by the President of France, or not knowing Africa wasn't a country. Maybe it was the fact she never gave a press conference unless she was with her PR team. Maybe it was just one of those examples that made her seem like a "dingbat", just maybe?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Agreed, but we can make those same arguments with regard to George HW Bush and Bill Clinton, and John McCain and Barack Obama. Clinton (a draft dodger) beat a decorated war veteran, and Obama (never served) beat a decorated war veteran and former POW.

I respect the military and those who serve (I am part of a military family), but that doesn't wash away every other aspect of their lives, especially when they run for office. Your political views and record in office, and statements of policy hold more weight for me.

The campaign waged against Max Cleland was despicable.

Chambliss is a Bush clone. He's a champion of big business and that's about the only thing on his radar screen.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
I heard she thinks we are located somewhere near Russia and that she's up on our foreign policy due to proximity.......maybe you could tell her before she comes we are the other Georgia. The one that is a state in the US. She should be briefed before she comes here.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Keep Palin, move the city of Wasilla here (it's beautiful) you can have the entire county of Clayton and Perdue and his (our) tax dollar fish museum. A 'friggin' fish museum?????????? and we are in a recession !!!!!!!!!
Franklin stays.

Sounds fishy!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
LOL, this thread is getting to the ridiculous.

Palin got a hose job by the media. Neil, you are spot on about people confusing Tina Fey's spoofs with the actual Palin. How many times have I seen people on this thread slam Palin because "I can see Russia from my house'"? Fey said this, Palin did not.

Palins isolation from the media frenzy and the Washington politico talk got her in trouble. That is part of her allure. A politician that doesn't talk in PC sound bites, someone that is really like the majority of us.

Partisans will gravitate to the negative talking points that were so brazenly shoved in our face everyday. It was completely one sided. Her counterpart in the election is well known for his gaffes, did we see one tenth of coverage of him during the election? Another proof of the one-sideness of the media, blatantly explosed during this last election.

Palin hit a home run with us everyday conservatives. Was she qualified to step into the presidential office right away? No. But 4 to 8 years of being vice president would have seasoned her just right for the job. And I still stand by my premise (already thoroughly hashed out in numerous other threads) that her resume is no more or less qualified than the man about to assume the office.

If Alaskans are now so ashamed of her, than shame on you. She represented your state in a very good light. Have I ever seen anything on TV about Alaska that didn't have to do with a bear trapper or eskimos (excuse me, inuits) or a dog sled race? I actually now have a picture of a normal family living in a normal house, driving a car to the school, church and hair salon, just like what people here in Georgia do.

If you really don't won't her, we will take her. I like the suggestion of trading her for Shirley Franklin even better.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Palin got a hose job by the media. Neil, you are spot on about people confusing Tina Fey's spoofs with the actual Palin. How many times have I seen people on this thread slam Palin because "I can see Russia from my house'"? Fey said this, Palin did not.
True, Palin did not say that, but many of Tina Fey's lines were, in fact, direct Palin quotes. You can watch the Palin interviews and Fey "spoofs" back to back on youtube. Word for word.

Palin did a horrible job answering easy questions asked by carefully hand-selected interviewers. I fail to see how that's a "hose job".

Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Maybe it was here interview with Couric, when didn't understand the bush doctrine, equated neighboring Russia as foreign policy experience, not being able to name "ONE" supreme court case except Roe V. Wade, refusing to reveal which newspapers she read to stay informed. Maybe it was when she didnt realize that the Vice President doesn't "run" the Senate, or being pranked called by the President of France, or not knowing Africa wasn't a country. Maybe it was the fact she never gave a press conference unless she was with her PR team. Maybe it was just one of those examples that made her seem like a "dingbat", just maybe?

I totally agree.

Election-eve night in Phoenix, Palin wanted to give her own concession speech. She didn't even know that the presidential candidate gives a concession speech. Apparently McCain operatives had to contront her.

When Palin is in Atlanta, I hope she can hand-deliver Chambliss her election-eve concession speech. Neat! You just know that Palin's concession ditty was a jem of a speech. Not! Palin might have even consulted Dan Quayle for a little insight. Why settle for second-rate minds, when you can consult first-rate minds?

Gee, Chambliss can play a few more rounds of golf on election day and not even worry about his concession speech when he loses. Sarah to the rescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta