Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM

279 posts, read 1,013,900 times

Advertisements

For meterology and architecture.
I dont know much about the area.
But should I stay off campus or on?
Is the area good?
Is there a demand for those two majors in the city of Atlanta or Suburbs.
What are some home prices?
Any information would be great.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
I didn't know we had meterology?

campus is a personal choice, off is usually cheaper
area is so/so, crime happens and it tends to find GT pretty well.
demand for Architects, I'd say yes
you won't find a home under $400K and condos under $200K

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
We don't. We have Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, which I knew of no one to take. How old are you? Are you coming in as a frosh? If so I wonder if they require first semester/first year on campus? Stay there your first year. If you are a transfer you can forget about trying to get housing on campus and you're better off living off campus anyway as yo udon't need the convenience of a dorm while adjusting to college life, if this is a concern.

Let me put it this way, no matter what you study there, if you study hard, learn a lot, get to know professors, network, attend professional events, maybe grab an internship or mentor who can help you do research and get published, you won't have to worry about demand for a job regardless of economy. And it will be a good job.

What I just mentioned ^ is a pain in the a** and not a whole lot of fun. I did it though, without sacrificing my DJ career or ignoring my girlfriend....tis possible Have fun!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
We don't. We have Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, which I knew of no one to take. How old are you? Are you coming in as a frosh? If so I wonder if they require first semester/first year on campus? Stay there your first year. If you are a transfer you can forget about trying to get housing on campus and you're better off living off campus anyway as yo udon't need the convenience of a dorm while adjusting to college life, if this is a concern.

Let me put it this way, no matter what you study there, if you study hard, learn a lot, get to know professors, network, attend professional events, maybe grab an internship or mentor who can help you do research and get published, you won't have to worry about demand for a job regardless of economy. And it will be a good job.

What I just mentioned ^ is a pain in the a** and not a whole lot of fun. I did it though, without sacrificing my DJ career or ignoring my girlfriend....tis possible Have fun!
Yes, the major is Earth and Atmospheric Sciences and I did know of several people who majored in it when I was there. I believe they have several concentration tracks...where one tailors the major to their interest as they advance through the upper-level classes (Geology, Meteorology, etc.).

How old are you? If you are a freshman (or transferring sophomore), your focus should really just be living on campus.

And many of you may not yet know, housing at Tech has changed a lot since the early 2000's and before. Most students are wanting to live on campus now...for most or all of their years. Plus, GT recently (almost two years ago) acquired the North Avenue Apts. from Georgia State (but the overall student population is larger than it was several years ago).

Also, Georgia Tech does not have to be a pain in the a**...Remember you will be going to a great school in now-dynamic Midtown!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
I often regret not taking my HS education seriously enough to get into GT. What sucks even more is that my little brother DID get in lol

Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Quote:
Also, Georgia Tech does not have to be a pain in the a**
Yes, it does. It's on a disclaimer that they give to you with those RAT caps. As well as getting Tech goggles, a prescription of Prozac, etc. :-P. I'm surprised they don't hand out rape pamphlets after the first semester :-P

BTW, for the OP, if you're thinking of doing two majors here: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It takes most 5-6 years to do ONE! So, keep that in mind! However, completing one will get you a job, because you prove that you're able to take it up the ass for the final product.

Most people want to live on campus because it's convenient and the upperclass housing is nicer than years past.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Just be thankful that (thanks to changes and the Hope Scholarship) Tech now has both men and women in fairly even proportions. It used to feel somewhat like a nerdy boys school. On campus housing was also lacking. At least there was never a problem with getting food...Junior's and the V were always 2 min away.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM

168 posts, read 560,866 times
Ahh Juniors. (sigh). Cheese 2 side? Anyone?

Stay on campus for two years for the true college experience. Then you'll figure out where to stay off campus.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
I am a student at Tech in the Earth and Atmospheric Science department. You can PM me if you have questions. Who knows - I might be your TA one semester.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:10 PM

77 posts, read 290,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
Ahh Juniors. (sigh). Cheese 2 side? Anyone?

Stay on campus for two years for the true college experience. Then you'll figure out where to stay off campus.
This also has the advantage that by then you should have some good friends to rent with. I agree with the other posters - live on campus at least one year if you can. It's a nice campus, and as one of the other posters pointed out, the housing options have improved a lot since the Olympics. Memories of Techwood, anybody???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta