Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Decatur certainly offers a high quality of life but the commute to/from the Northside Hospital area would probably not be worth the bother, jmo.

From what I read in the threads it sounds like Cobb County, particularly Smyrna, Vinings and beyond is going to have most of what the OP wants.

He could probably find a house in his price range in the Northlake/Henderson Mill Rd area of DeKalb County and have a 45 minute commute but the school system has its strengths and weaknesses.
I was just imagining a 20-30 minute stress-free Marta ride to work in the morning rather than a stressFUL 45 minute frolick in traffic hell. That seems like a positive moreso than a bother.

Northside being near Marta does allow for other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I was just imagining a 20-30 minute stress-free Marta ride to work in the morning rather than a stressFUL 45 minute frolick in traffic hell. That seems like a positive moreso than a bother.

Northside being near Marta does allow for other options.
Maybe so.

Medical professionals work at odd hours --or so I have heard--so it seemed they might need several options for transportation. There might be housing within the OP's budget in East Atlanta but from what I gather more than 3 BDR's are rare in Decatur.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 AM

42 posts, read 162,309 times
I assume you mean "integrated" community. Normally, I would say try to live inside the 285 perimeter, but you may not be able to find a 4br/2ba house in a safe neighborhood for under $1200. Since Northside Hospital is on the MARTA line, you have many more options on where to live. First, I would suggest that you ask someone at the hospital for local housing information. Your location will be a balance between distance and cost. The further that you drive, generally, the cheaper the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomover View Post
As I posted before, my family and I will be relocating to Atl. area soon. I will be working at Northside Hospital (Atlanta). I was given some helpful information from a member on nice areas with good schools. Now as I read through some of the post I am a little disheartned about these areas. I had looked into the Peachtree City, Dunwoody, Buckhead, and Marietta areas. Somewhere that my commute won't be more that 30 minutes. I know racism still exists, but not as openly as I have read in some of the post.

I am not phrasing my question to be racial at all, I come from a family of blended ethnicities. I am an african american that is looking for areas that:

1. don't have alot of crime

2. good schools

3. lots of things for kids to do close by

4. good communities within certain areas that have a nice amount of school age kids

5. no more that a 30 minute commute to Northside Hospital Atl.

6. looking to rent a 4 bdrm house no more than 1200.00 per month

all suggestions are greatly appreciated, I will be there right after christmas to look around.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 PM

43 posts, read 117,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Maybe so.

Medical professionals work at odd hours --or so I have heard--so it seemed they might need several options for transportation. There might be housing within the OP's budget in East Atlanta but from what I gather more than 3 BDR's are rare in Decatur.
Don't get me wrong, I love East Atlanta, but if I had kids I probably wouldn't want to raise them there

Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorelandWalker View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love East Atlanta, but if I had kids I probably wouldn't want to raise them there
I had originally suggested the east side of Atlanta, not East Atlanta. I love EAV and wouldn't have a problem raising kids there, but I had suggested Decatur and that vicinity.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
I would recommend Smyrna also. I live here and its very diverse and I haven't had to deal with any crime here. As far as the racism you won't have to worry about that. About 95% of it is what I call computer courage. Being anonymous gives some the courage to say things they'd never say if they ever saw you out in public.
Half of them are still the same types that could see me in a business suit and a briefcase and still clutch their purse tight or lock their car doors when I get too close. Having lived here for a while trust me when I tell you that should be the last of your worries.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 PM

52 posts, read 212,006 times
Try the Roswell/Alpharetta area. I have seen many older homes for around that price range throughout my travels. The commute to Northside Hospital from there is under 30 mins. The schools are some of the highest in the rankings. It is a diverse area. And you have access to everything, off of the GA400, which is an artery leading to I285, I85, leading into downtown.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 AM

360 posts, read 1,011,177 times
Would Grant Park fit the bill? I have friends raising two boys there, and they love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta