Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
This is a world problem, not just Atlanta's. I'll repeat: it's a WORLD problem. All of the OECD nations are in recession. Consumer spending has halted. There are no capital reserves to back new credit. During the summer, the entire world felt the crunch of overexpanding commodity prices based on speculation. Now, they're crashing down to 2004 levels, back to an equilibrium sustainable by the CPI. Home prices are contracting (BTW, if you have home prices expanding at the rate many US cities did, that's not a sign of a productive economy, especially on easy credit).

And, I'm sorry to say, it ain't over yet. Home prices have a ways to go in those bubble cities before they're back in reality. Credit won't be as easy to get as it was in the last decade. This will cause a lower demand for goods, thus more contraction of the economy. Businesses won't be able to borrow and expand. Again, less jobs. You have at least a year more of this, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were a little longer.

What does this mean for a person who only has a high school education and is trying to finish college? I am not in school now, but I plan to return in the summer. Right now I am trying to save money for an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM

40 posts, read 170,145 times
Stay in school. You're actually better off than a lot of others. By the time you get out of school, you'll have a better perspective on where the world economy is heading. Then you can make adjustments. Life is about adjustments. It's not always easy. I'm impressed that you're asking economy questions at what I assume to be a young age, but on the other hand it shows how bad things really are. Remember, even during the Great Depression there was around 26% un-employment. Someone had a job! Make sure it's you. Position yourself to work in a new or emerging industry and the current market could be a positive for you.

Last edited by tanzall; 12-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Type-0

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzall View Post
Stay in school. You're actually better off than a lot of others. By the time you get out of school, you'll have a better perspective on where the world economy is heading. Then you can make adjustments. Life is about adjustments. It's not always easy. I'm impressed that you're asking economy questions at what I assume to be a young age, but on the other hand it shows how bad things really are. Remember, even during the Great Depression there was around 26% un-employment. Someone had a job! Make sure it's you. Position yourself to work in a new or emerging industry and the current market could be a positive for you.
That is my plan, staying in school. I had a few problems along the way, but I am not giving up on a college education. I known once I have that degree I can work anywhere I want on this globe. I am just worried about now.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubvjt View Post
There's a whole wave of future foreclosure victims just now starting to skip their mortgage payments until somebody comes to kick them out of their houses months from now. They hope to live "rent free" while they can, possibly racking up credit card debit along the way too. This will make it harder for everyone to borrow money, including companies you might want to work for. Their impact on the economy won't be fully felt for a while, but yes it will get worse.
i read somewhere today that 60% of homeowners who had their mortgages renegotiated (i think within the last year it said) are in default status again.

i've been reading a lot of the foreclosure notices in the newspaper; its amazing how many of them are in the low $100k's and under. something is terribly wrong when people can't make a $600/mo house payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: