Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That link doesn't work. What controversy existed at the time the mascot was unvelied which would make a question mark appropriate?

I was able to find the backstory on Izzy on another website. Apparently, he was a shape-shifting being that lived in a universe inside the olympic torch. Any kid in kindergarten could come up with a better idea than that.

So, let's keep track:

Izzy
"Every day is an opening day"
"The city too busy to hate"
"The ATL, Yo" (or whatever the name of that terrible Atlanta theme song was a few years ago)

Not a good track record. I propose Atlanta stop trying to promote itself until it can figure out exactly what it's trying to promote.

As evidenced by all the nice monuments and things that people have posted photos of on this thread, there ARE things worth promoting in Atlanta. Unfortunately, we tend to play up the lamest aspects of the city.
The Controversy seems to always have been--'What to Be?'/city of Atlanta has an indentity crisis?

Since we don't seem to know--a question mark is/was appropriate. Poor Izzy-->Olympic Mascots.
I guess we should have gone with the Giant Peach. Certain that some don't like peaches. shrug

I really wouldn't mind seeing a large iron sculpture which incorporates the 'Quilt' theme of the banners. Somebody should do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM

60 posts, read 246,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Bagels.
I'd like to see some bagels in Va-Hi, that's for sure.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
That link doesn't work. What controversy existed at the time the mascot was unvelied which would make a question mark appropriate?

I was able to find the backstory on Izzy on another website. Apparently, he was a shape-shifting being that lived in a universe inside the olympic torch. Any kid in kindergarten could come up with a better idea than that.

So, let's keep track:

Izzy
"Every day is an opening day"
"The city too busy to hate"
"The ATL, Yo" (or whatever the name of that terrible Atlanta theme song was a few years ago)

Not a good track record. I propose Atlanta stop trying to promote itself until it can figure out exactly what it's trying to promote.

As evidenced by all the nice monuments and things that people have posted photos of on this thread, there ARE things worth promoting in Atlanta. Unfortunately, we tend to play up the lamest aspects of the city.
Did you mean "Welcome to Atlanta" by Jermaine Dupri?

What landmark or monument represents other cities? Not that Atlanta should copy another city, but just to get an idea of these grandiose monuments that Atlanta is missing out on. The only things I can think of that are visible as you drive in (which IMO visibility from the highway doesn't make it better) are the Arch, the various space needles, the Washington Monument, the Statue of Liberty, ? Even if something massive were built, it takes a bit of time for something to become iconic.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Did you mean "Welcome to Atlanta" by Jermaine Dupri?

What landmark or monument represents other cities? .
Oh yeah that's the name. That song sucks.

Monuments/landmarks, let's see..:

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-07/eiffel-tower-day.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JPD; 12-11-2008 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
On a smaller scale Birmingham has Vulcan.

Even Huntsville has those Saturn V rockets. Everybody knows it for rockets and Space Camp if nothing else.

Atlanta doesn't engender any particular image. I guess from a historical perspective given that it was founded by the railroad maybe there's something there. Of course, railroads aren't exactly thriving.

It seems to me that Atlanta has always lacked an identity. Or maybe it has too many identities and that's why they have such a hard time coming up with mascots and such. The best statements are simple and basic, otherwise they don't catch on. Atlanta seems to have a habit of trying to mimic others, rather than carving out it's own identity.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
I guess we should have gone with the Giant Peach. Certain that some don't like peaches.
As I recall, and I was only tangentially associated with the Games on the Birmingham end, it was thought that peaches and peanuts were too agricultural. Agriculture=Slavery/Jim Crow. Apparently people still saw Atlanta from a Jim Crow perspective and they didn't want to do anything associated with that. They wanted something more focused on the future. Unfortunately, since the city is not associated with one industry, or even one historical moment not involved with slavery/Civil Rights they were pretty much stuck.

I always thought of Atlanta as 'The City That Wouldn't Die,' but of course, that's a Civil War reference as well. I think it's foolish to try to disassociate themselves from such a pivotal moment in American history, but then that's probably why I suck at P.R.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
On a smaller scale Birmingham has Vulcan.

Even Huntsville has those Saturn V rockets. Everybody knows it for rockets and Space Camp if nothing else.

Atlanta doesn't engender any particular image. I guess from a historical perspective given that it was founded by the railroad maybe there's something there. Of course, railroads aren't exactly thriving.

It seems to me that Atlanta has always lacked an identity. Or maybe it has too many identities and that's why they have such a hard time coming up with mascots and such. The best statements are simple and basic, otherwise they don't catch on. Atlanta seems to have a habit of trying to mimic others, rather than carving out it's own identity.
Respectfully, I take exception to that type of generalization--'Atlanta seems to have a habit of trying to mimic others, rather than carving out its own identity.'

It has been called 'The Gateway to the South'--and if we built an arch --I suppose we'd hear from St. Louis and San Francisco. Other's call Atlanta 'The Athens of the South'--and even more disgruntled opinions if we ever attempted to build a faux Acropolis.

'The Emerald City'-- maybe we should just go with that and let the trees speak for themselves. Simple and basic.

A while back someone suggested replacing the glass tiles in the building that was damaged by a tornado last year with a pine tree design in glass. That might be the best idea yet?

Last edited by TakeAhike; 12-11-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Oh yeah that's the name. That song sucks.
Apparently millions of people disagreed with you about that song...

Do you really expect Atlanta to build an Eifel Tower or a Gateway Arch? Something of that magnitude in Atlanta would simply draw ridicule from residents...and from other cities. Look at the criticism aimed at the Millennium Gate...Atlantans could have embraced it and really made a big deal about it, but most of the comments I've heard have been negative.

I didn't recognize the Bunker Hill Monument - that certainly isn't on the same scale as the others.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
As I recall, and I was only tangentially associated with the Games on the Birmingham end, it was thought that peaches and peanuts were too agricultural. Agriculture=Slavery/Jim Crow. Apparently people still saw Atlanta from a Jim Crow perspective and they didn't want to do anything associated with that. They wanted something more focused on the future. Unfortunately, since the city is not associated with one industry, or even one historical moment not involved with slavery/Civil Rights they were pretty much stuck.

I always thought of Atlanta as 'The City That Wouldn't Die,' but of course, that's a Civil War reference as well. I think it's foolish to try to disassociate themselves from such a pivotal moment in American history, but then that's probably why I suck at P.R.

I remember vividly reading the AJC articles on all of this.

And I recall the Olympic Committee's opinion of the Atlanta Games. The chairman was a Frenchman--no other city has failed to receive a 'Well Done'.

Growth--that is what Atlanta is about to me and I guess the trees represent eternal renewal as well as anything.

Some sort of gigantic water display that recycles the water --that might work. I'm certain there is a city that already has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta