Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,382,441 times

Advertisements

Im considering doing their online program to get my bachelors in IT. Im really not up for doing the on campus thing again to be honest. From what I've read the program is accredited by SACS so im wondering has anyone here had experience with an online program and would it be frowned on by potential employers?

Ill probably be picking up a part time job in the evenings so this would be a good move for me but I wouldn't want to waste time or money on it if employers frown on online degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 PM

561 posts, read 774,490 times
How will they know you got it online? Just curious.

I always thought the diploma will just say the school name and major.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:59 PM

90 posts, read 327,117 times
I went to AIU online for my Associates. It was pretty good. I didn't have any problems with them. I transferred to another school for my BS (Bellevue University) because it was ALOT cheaper than AIU.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 PM

It is kind of expensive that's what made me ask before I made the decision.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 AM

90 posts, read 327,117 times
I would look at other options, because if you're like me - you may be able to get student loans but at some point you will have to pay them back....and paying alot less sounds so much better to me. Actually, my employer was the one who made me really look at it from that angle. Because I did receive some tuition assistance from them, they mentioned that the price I was paying for one class was almost three times more than what that same class would cost at an average university. Needless to say after much research, I decided to go to Bellevue University. They also have programs in IT. I was in one of their IT programs (Internet Systems & Software Technology) and it was a bit challenging for me, so I switched my major to Business Information Systems Management. Their program has worked out good for me. As I said, it's cheaper than AIU and it's also accelerated. I think the average for my classes was one class every 4 weeks. Oh, another thing to note - at the time I went to AIU they were on probation. I don't recall “why”, but I do know they were in danger of losing their accreditation. They were evaluated and the next year and was placed back on probation. That didn't sit too well with me - especially after considering the amount of money I had to pay and to think that it may have been a waste?! Naw...that's when I decided to complete my Associates and then transfer. They may be off probation now, though. I don't know. This was almost two years ago. A good place to start when researching online schools is ripoffreport.com. Hope this helps!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
Default Let's maintain the Atlanta frame of mind here so I don't have to move it for you

American InterContinental University is a SACs Regionally Accredited University. Same SACs as UGA, Tech, Oglethorpe, Spellman, UNC, etc.,etc., etc., the brick and mortar is based in Atlanta Buckhead. It is private, it is expensive.
Their online group is based in Hoffman Estates, IL located just past Schaumburg, IL or 30 miles west of Chicago.
Good school with an online program that is tough since it is condensed. Basically, it is a full time program if you want to make the grade.
A BBA program will be north of 30k. Buckhead board and degree is 40k+

http://www.aiuniv.edu/

Old 12-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Also noticed that Christian Siriano aka Fierce or Fiercfe', the winner of Project Runway is an AIU Fashion Grad.
Project Runway » Blog Archive » Christian Siriano Dresses The Pussycat Dolls

Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 PM

421 posts, read 1,719,658 times
I would consider taking online classes at a public in state or even out of state school before I would attend a for profit online institution.

Take advantage of the Hope Scholarship and save your loans for an Masters.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
I would consider taking online classes at a public in state or even out of state school before I would attend a for profit online institution.

Take advantage of the Hope Scholarship and save your loans for an Masters.

Good Point Mommy: Take advantage if your a young student out of high school while it still exist.
IMO on online institutions: Adults only. Online takes needed discipline, which most teens do not have. Also, most adults (speaking 30+) want just and education, thus online is a great avenue.

If your 18-25, you want an "experience" You need groups, it's the age and maturity levels.

So my suggestion - If your 30+ with a family or working adult go online rather it is AIU, St. Leo's, Strayer, University of Tennessee, GA, SC, NC, etc., if your under 30 go to the campus.

Now, I do have to take a lighthearted jab about the so called NON-PROFIT college. They are all profit, inclusive of the state universities. All one needs to do is see the costs, the most commercial based sports teams, UGA alone is enough to make your head spin, multi-million dollar coaches, etc., maybe at one time, education and non-profit, but today if you can play football you could get a PhD by showing up in your 500 school supplied Mercedes

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 PM

im 29 and working full time now... I've tried to see who else offers accredited IT degrees online with not much luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta