Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM

12 posts, read 30,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Moonwaxing,

You need to come and visit and spend a few days and see a variety of schools. Unfortunately, the odds of finding a parent with specific experience with special needs (and a specific one at that) are slim to none on this board.

However, next week is spring break here and then we begin state testing and most schools won't have time for visitors then. I recommend you come the first week of May as school will be out three weeks later for summer.

Also, given that your are from MSP, you should know that school starts here around August 9th in most places.
Thank you for the tips on when to visit. I had checked the school calendars to see if we might visit while we are on spring break, but it's the same week! I had been checking school start dates, too, because I know that MSP starts later than most states. Thank you!

I'll plan on visiting in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,176 times
I see you wrote this in 2008 n its now 2010, but did u move to ATL?...n if so, how is the school system for special needs kids? I now reside in NYC n is planning on moving to ATL very soon. I have an autistic son(5yrs old) n i would like to knw wht areas should i look into for my son and my other kids? Thank you in advance!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerKristin View Post
I will check out homes in the Tritt elementary district. I know East Cobb schools would definitely be better for my husbands commute to Vinings- and for my daughter who is soon to be in high school I've heard that Pope is excellent. Thanks- this really, really helps!

I see you wrote this in 2008 n its now 2010, but did u move to ATL?...n if so, how is the school system for special needs kids? I now reside in NYC n is planning on moving to ATL very soon. I have an autistic son(5yrs old) n i would like to knw wht areas should i look into for my son and my other kids? Thank you in advance!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,254 times
Hello Everyone

Ihave a child that has austim and she is speech delayed. We currently live in COlumbus ga where she goes to a good private school for kids with austim. We are considering moving to the atlanta area and I do not know where to start and we do not know anyone in the area. My husband may be going over to the midwest to work. I will be here care giver do you have any ideas

Thanks,
THawkins

Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 39,374 times
I realize you are looking for a public school, but I just thought I would mention a private school I found in Georgia. Pathways Academy in Marietta, Georgia is a school for dyslexia and other language based learning difficulties. I am looking into sending my son here. I have heard amazing things about this school from other parents too. Their philosophy is excellent and they also run a support network for dyslexia also. Here's the information. I wish you the best of luck with your search to find the right school.

Pathways Academy website: http://www.pathwaysacademy.org/
Dyslexia Support Network: http://pathwaysdyslexianetwork.com/ (broken link)

Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM

15 posts, read 36,058 times
Default Marietta or Peachtree city for 13 year old boy with autism

Hi,

I am planning to move into Atlanta area with my 13 year old son with autism. I would say he is moderately autistic with some skills, but very delayed in speech and social skills. Since my job location is about one hour to the west from Atlanta, I am looking into either Marietta or Peachtree city as possible areas to settle down. Could you give me ideas about schools in those areas, especially for students with low to mid functioning autism? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
Where are you moving from?
Where town will you be working in?
We moved here last spring with a ninth-grader with some of the same issues that you described. He is doing quite well at Roswell High School, although Fulton County Schools have had severe budget cuts that have limited some support staff. Social skills are always difficult for these kids and there are several private programs in the area. He has been thriving in a local church group, called Inside Out, which has a small group component to it.
I would try to find a school that is fairly close to your job location- I take son to school early at least 2-3 times a week for extra help and to complete tests (he gets extra time per IEP). I have to pick him up from school to get him to his after-school activities, too.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 AM

I am moving from California and will be working at Carrollton. It seems like there are some private schools in Alpharetta and nearby cities. But I guess it is too far from my work, even though I will only commute three days maximum.

I wonder what kind of programs Marietta schools offer for my son. Do you know if they have good programs for non-high functioning autism? Here in California, my son is going to a county program that is designed for students with autism. This school supports him pretty well in terms of behavioral or sensory issues. But in terms of other areas including academics, I am not quite happy about what they do.

Do you know if Marietta offers special programs or school specifically targeting autism? Or all special needs students are mixed together? How about speech therapy and OT? Do schools provide those services?

Reading from previous posts, I am a little afraid to move to GA now. Many messages said the services are pretty bad, and I wonder how bad they are.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
We moved here last year from New York where my son received OT/Speech/Social Skill's Lunch and weekly counseling. Here he got speech once a week. He is in classes with special needs students doing the regular curriculum at a slower pace; required to take state exams. He is mainstreamed for health, pe, etc. It is working but he struggles. The teachers have been wonderful and offer extra help before school. There is no special program for his level of autism. I do believe he is in the least restrictive enviornment for him and that he is getting FAPE which is really all the law requires.

Are you thinking Cobb County schools?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 AM

My son has been in many different programs so far: a regular preschool, special need classrooms for K-5 with some mainstreaming, and programs for students with autism. For the past two years, he tried three different private schools with no success and is now in a county school that is designed for students with autism. They have good behavioral support, but I found that their expectation for students are pretty low. My son can learn when he is taught individually, but he does not learn in a group setting, especially in academics.

Honestly, I don't think the least restrictive environment works well for my son. He just can't stay focused for long period time and he needs lots of sensory breaks. So ideal classroom might be low teacher student ratio, focusing on speech and social skills, individual assistance for academic growth, and behavioral support.

Do you think I can find these components in only private school setting? If so, what private schools might provide programs like that?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta