Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Are you seriously condoning single parent households?

Did you go to college, or recieve an education higher than high school?

Or are you so incredibly liberal/scared to be labled racist/delusional that you cannot see how bad single parent households are, and why 60% of black babies are born into single households is a bad thing?

Please, take a sociology class, a physchology class, an anthropology class, or hell even a health class. The problem with people like you triviliazing it is that it will never be fixed. the cycle will continue for generations. Stop being afriad to call a spade a spade so it can be fixed.
I'm saying that there is nothing wrong with children from single parent homes...if that is condoning it to you, then fine...I'm condoning it. FYI, it's not a "black" problem...you do realize the divorce rate in ALL of the U.S. covering all races - don't you? That website about fatherless homes was a bunch of crap.

I'm not revealing my level of education on this forum...but I assure you it's at least as high as yours, probably higher. I want to recommend some anger management education for you...your replies are always over the top with an unwarranted angry tone.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
"This sexual abuse statistic really caught my eye: "A study of 156 victims of child sexual abuse found that the majority of the children came from disrupted or single-parent homes." Those 156 victims of sexual abuse are VICITMS, and can come from any home at any time with no regard to the number of parents in the home. That kind of nonsense really bugs me." from DeaconJ

I don't really think that's nonsense. Predators generally look for the most vulnerable children, particularly those who have less supervision by adults. Many (I'm not saying ALL by any means) children of single parents go unsupervised, particularly during after-school hours. This is "prime picking" time for predators to groom potential victims. Some single Moms (in particular) are looking for "father figures" for their kids, and may be happy to have an adult male paying attention to their child. Unfortunately, this is the ideal scenario for a pedophile.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm saying that there is nothing wrong with children from single parent homes...if that is condoning it to you, then fine...I'm condoning it. FYI, it's not a "black" problem...you do realize the divorce rate in ALL of the U.S. covering all races - don't you? That website about fatherless homes was a bunch of crap.

I'm not revealing my level of education on this forum...but I assure you it's at least as high as yours, probably higher. I want to recommend some anger management education for you...your replies are always over the top with an unwarranted angry tone.
No, fatherless children is not exclusively black... but when 60% of black children are born to single parent households, it is a problem, for it is too high compared to the rates of whites, asians, and hispanics.

I graduated with a degree in Business Mangement with a 4.0 GPA from UGA, and am currently enrolled in the UGA Law School. I can assure you I am more educated than you.

But in response to the "anger management", I get upset when I see people that undermine the truth. The reason this problem has not been fixed is because of people like you. I want this problem to be eradicated from the black community, and the fact that you lable my passion for this cause as "over the top" again shows your true colors. I refuse to let you put forth the agenda that you are trying to push as normal. I could care less if you think I am "angry."

Old 12-20-2008, 05:38 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
With only a few exceptions, I'm impressed with the quality and thoughtfulness of the comments regarding the problems that exist in the black community. I think we all agree about what the problems are. There is disagreement with respect to the cause and what can be done about them. The problems I have with the slavery, discrimination, oppression argument are:

1. This was the thinking of most people back in the 50's and 60's and was the reason for such things as the civil rights laws, equal opportunity laws and affirmative action. Even if discrimination and oppression were not the cause of the problems, these things are wrong and they needed to be fixed. I was around in the 50's and 60's and this was my thinking at the time. My thinking and that of many others has changed somewhat since then because I have seen much improvement. While prejudice and discrimination still exist, I see it getting better all the time yet the problems in the black community persist. I think discrimination and oppression are at best a contributing factor.

2. If I'm correct yet discrimination and oppression are seen as the only factors then the problem will never be fixed. I will concede that discrimination and oppression are contributing factors but I would like to see consideratin given to the possibility that there may be other factors.

Take education as an example. I would submit the probability that at least 40% of the population, black and white, do not have the ability to graduate from high school. Many do graduate from high school without fully assimilating the material. Telling black people that the reason they do not succeed in school is because of discrimination and oppression breeds resentment that can lead to crime. The feeling that they could have what others have if not for discrimination and oppression is used to justify taking it as well as other crimes of violence.

Perhaps we need some kind of abilities test to identify a student's (black and white) strenghts and weaknesses. This could be used to counsel them as to where they should put their efforts. I think this would be better than telling them that they should be succeeding when they can't and telling them that its somebody else's fault. I don't think anything should be mandated by the use of such a test. I just think it would be best for them to know where they stand and in which direction they might should choose to direct their efforts.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
No, fatherless children is not exclusively black... but when 60% of black children are born to single parent households, it is a problem, for it is too high compared to the rates of whites, asians, and hispanics.

I graduated with a degree in Business Mangement with a 4.0 GPA from UGA, and am currently enrolled in the UGA Law School. I can assure you I am more educated than you.

But in response to the "anger management", I get upset when I see people that undermine the truth. The reason this problem has not been fixed is because of people like you. I want this problem to be eradicated from the black community, and the fact that you lable my passion for this cause as "over the top" again shows your true colors. I refuse to let you put forth the agenda that you are trying to push as normal. I could care less if you think I am "angry."
I feel sorry for whoever you represent in a court of law...you are a very angry person and your responses reflect your anger - as well as your maturity level.

How are you so sure you're more educated than I am? I don't care AT ALL about your educational level - I'm not impressed. I'm still not going to broadcast my level of education across this board. That's just another immature move on your part.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
"This sexual abuse statistic really caught my eye: "A study of 156 victims of child sexual abuse found that the majority of the children came from disrupted or single-parent homes." Those 156 victims of sexual abuse are VICITMS, and can come from any home at any time with no regard to the number of parents in the home. That kind of nonsense really bugs me." from DeaconJ

I don't really think that's nonsense. Predators generally look for the most vulnerable children, particularly those who have less supervision by adults. Many (I'm not saying ALL by any means) children of single parents go unsupervised, particularly during after-school hours. This is "prime picking" time for predators to groom potential victims. Some single Moms (in particular) are looking for "father figures" for their kids, and may be happy to have an adult male paying attention to their child. Unfortunately, this is the ideal scenario for a pedophile.
But you're still blaming the victim by paying any credence to that kind of lame statistic. Predators can look for all kinds of situations that make a person more vulnerable. Several of the statistics on that site were similar - look through it and decide for yourself. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I feel sorry for whoever you represent in a court of law...you are a very angry person and your responses reflect your anger - as well as your maturity level.

How are you so sure you're more educated than I am? I don't care AT ALL about your educational level - I'm not impressed. I'm still not going to broadcast my level of education across this board. That's just another immature move on your part.

Please inform me of how you gained your unique and special ability to be able to tell someone's emotions from words typed onto a computer screen. Your special gift is fascinating to me, I would love to learn how to tell someone's emotional state from typed words.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 PM

50 posts, read 61,078 times
Default mr.

yes in happyland
o thank you all good dialouge

decendent of swamps

Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Please inform me of how you gained your unique and special ability to be able to tell someone's emotions from words typed onto a computer screen. Your special gift is fascinating to me, I would love to learn how to tell someone's emotional state from typed words.
It doesn't take a college degree to feel the anger and resentment coming from your words. I will not inform you of ANYTHING about myself or my education...is that clear enough for you? I don't reveal personal information to random lunatics online, and that's exactly what you seem to be. If you aren't a lunatic, then stop acting like it.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take a college degree to feel the anger and resentment coming from your words...I will not inform you of ANYTHING about myself or my education...is that clear enough for you? I don't reveal information to lunatics online...and that's exactly what you seem to be.
I dont care what your education level is... I have already assumed that it is quite low from your previous posts. The fact that you consider providing statistics and facts to support arguments as "lunacy" further supports my assumption.

You dont know me, and I am not physically speaking to you, therefore there is no way that you can tell if I am angry or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta