U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 14,330 times

Advertisements

I am working in the CDC/Emory area and my husband works in downtown. We are a young married couple currently renting an apartment in Decatur. Besides for my job, we moved here for my husband who recently moved from Amsterdam. Lifestyle wise it is about as close as we can get. Renting prices are just skyrocketing in this area so we are looking to buy within the next year. I also susupect in the next couple years we will start having children. I think Decatur will be too expensive for us to buy a decent house for two people, 2 large dogs and possibly kids. We are looking for a price range of no more than the low 200's. I am originally from kennesaw but I am not thrilled of the thought of moving back there and having a crazy commute nor do I think my husband would be to thrilled with the american suburbian lifestyle. Is there anywhere closer that is good and not ridiculously expensive or should we just suck it up and move out that way again?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,782,950 times
Tucker.

You can get to Emory/CDC in no time, and downtown quickly without getting on the highway. I live in Tucker (Brockett Road area) and work near Five Points and it takes 25 - 30 minutes to get to work. Tucker is full of nice brick houses with fairly large yards in your price range. In the past few years, we've had several good restaurants open and succeed. Tucker seems to be on the way up (despite the crummy mall). It's the closest town to Atlanta on the NE side that is still affordable. Plus, it's close to Stone Mountain, which is a vastly underrated spot for hiking, bicycling and other outdoor activities (just ignore the tacky laser show).

I can understand your husband wanting to live somewhere within walking distance of restaurants, MARTA, etc., but you have to pay a lot more than low-200s for that. I think he'd be miserable in Kennesaw.

Your other option is a condo or loft intown, but that would be an unhappy environment for your dogs and probably not great for kids, either.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,330 times
how is Tucker, is it a somewhat safe area with decent schools etc.?

Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,782,950 times
Tucker is not perfect (where is?), but is very safe. We walk to restaurants a lot at night, sometimes very late in the evenings, and have not had any problems. The schools are good. We have a brand new middle school and Tucker High is part of the International Baccalaureate Program (one of three schools in Dekalb in the program). We're also getting a new public library in the next couple of years. Dekalb county has been generous to Tucker with purchasing land for greenspace. We also have curbside recycling.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 30,336 times
Don't know if you are still looking for a place or not, but we just looked at a cute home for sale in Decatur on Howard St., really close to the East Lake MARTA station. I think it's listed for around $230K, and it's in the Oakhurst district, so it should be a good value for that area. I can't remember the listing details, but it was a cute, well-maintained home. Either 2BR or 3BR, with a beautiful kitchen and hardwood floors. It's a little too small for us (tiny rooms), but might be a better fit for you guys. It has a cute yard too, can't remember if it's fenced. The only other negative I remember is that it faces the train tracks, so it would probably be pretty loud.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM

23,120 posts, read 37,218,023 times
Check out Briarcliff Heights on the mls...there are some gems in that neighborhood that are listing for the 200's. And, the location is great (off Briarcliff Rd between Clairmont and N Druid Hills Rd).

Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 17,415 times
Hi,
I don't know much about the houses, but I have lived in Midtown/Dowtown for 16 years and love it. However, I will be moving and need to sell or rent my 2 condos. One is 2BR/1.5 BA, 2 level w/single car garage and the other is a 3 level with 2 car garage, 2BR/2.5BA and a den and storage in the basement. Near Atlanta Civic Center. If you know anyone let me know.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 PM

67 posts, read 214,848 times
There are plans in the works to redevelop the downtown Tucker area as well, visit Tucker LCI Study for more info.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 AM

112 posts, read 443,919 times
I'm currently in the Emory/CDC area and my husband works downtown, too. We live in unincorporated Avondale Estates, and it might fit your criteria. (Our house in on the market, too, if you're interested!) It's a straight shot for me to get to Clifton via North Decatur (about 5 miles total), and my husband takes MARTA. He does drive to the Kensington Station, but it's just a mile or so. On nice days he bikes (via the PATH) to Avondale Station and takes the train the rest of the way. We're also biking distance to Decatur, and spend a lot of time there.

The elementary school for our area is relatively good, and improving steadily. The middle school/high school are not so much, but by the time you're ready for that, you'd probably want a bigger house.

PM me if you want more info about our neighborhood.

eta: I forgot to mention that the Avondale redevelopment is starting, too, so downtown Avondale is going to be more walkable and interesting soon.

Last edited by MiriL; 04-14-2008 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: add info about AE

Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,921,345 times
Before anyone else replies to the original post, it's worth noting that it was written more than a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or