Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times

Advertisements

I read it as meaning 250-400 per grade. For high schools, I don't know of many public schools in the north metro area that would fit that criteria. All of the schools are large. Sprayberry and Wheeler, both in East Cobb, are probably the closest, but each is larger than that -- about 1800 students at each, IIRC, and neither is considered in the top tier of north metro schools academically (though both are well above the average for the metro area as a whole). Dunwoody, Chamblee, and Lakeside are close, at 1300 or so for each, but they're DeKalb County, which gives some folks around here heartburn (though those schools are fine, albeit a notch below some of the North Fulton/East Cobb schools). Centennial (our local school), in the Fulton County system, is right at 500 per class (approx. 2000 total), as are Pope and Lassiter in East Cobb.

Sequoyah and Creekview in Cherokee County, as well as West Forsyth (in Forsyth County, naturally) are small enough (albeit barely) to fit your criteria. They're not the highest rated schools in the area (i.e., they don't have the reputation of the East Cobb and North Fulton schools), but are generally quite good. Living out that way, however, would mean a long and probably ugly commute for someone working in Duluth. Forsyth Central is just a hair over 400 per grade, and is located in the town of Cumming, just a bit farther north and west from Duluth, and might be worth considering. West Hall High is in Oakwood, just south of Gainesville, and is small enough, but may not be as strong academically (test scores on Georgia-specific stuff are above average in some areas, below in others -- ACT scores are within a point above or below the state and national averages), and the commute might get more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
The N. DeKalb schools have now exceeded that class size.

To the OP, what/why are you looking for a smaller high school. In GA, due to our funding system, that generally means less academic opportunities especially when it comes to AP courses and electives. I can totally understand the desire to have a warm and fuzzy feeling for your student, but here it means less opportunity.

Any chance you could swing private school?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
OP,

I recommend looking into Buford City Schools with Buford High School. I think you might like.

Good school system. Small class sizes and small schools. Close to Duluth. Good commute. Buford is a nice place to live.

*Note: If you go this route, make sure you look for homes/neighborhoods within the city limits of Buford (incorporated). There are large areas in Gwinnett County with a Buford address, but are not within the actual city limits (unincorporated). Incorporated Buford means Buford City Schools. Unincorporated Buford means Gwinnett County Schools (huge class sizes, huge schools).

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 16,875 times
Sorry for the confusion I will try it again. I am looking for high schools that have a total enrollment size of approx. 1,000-1,600 students which would mean individual grade level enrollments (9,10,11,12) would be about 250-400 per class. Based on what I am reading, it seems it will be difficult to find smaller high schools in this area. The district in which we currently reside is quite large and while there are many advantages to large sized schools there are also some drawbacks. Just thought we might have a chance to find top notch smaller schools in the Atlanta area.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 16,875 times
Thanks for the info. I will check out the district you mentioned. We would prefer not to have to pay for private schools.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buckeye View Post
Sorry for the confusion I will try it again. I am looking for high schools that have a total enrollment size of approx. 1,000-1,600 students which would mean individual grade level enrollments (9,10,11,12) would be about 250-400 per class. Based on what I am reading, it seems it will be difficult to find smaller high schools in this area. The district in which we currently reside is quite large and while there are many advantages to large sized schools there are also some drawbacks. Just thought we might have a chance to find top notch smaller schools in the Atlanta area.
Buford City Schools!

www.bufordcityschools.org

*(To add to the information concerning Buford City Schools and Buford High School in my previous post...many people {who live outside of the Buford city limits} pay tuition for their children to attend Buford City Schools--this shows the high-quality education that is available there...plus the small size(s) that you want!)

*(Check out Buford High School on greatschools.net: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/ga/241 )

Last edited by aries4118; 12-12-2008 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 PM

153 posts, read 380,692 times
I teach in Gwinnett (elementary) and the school sizes for us run from 1000- under 2000. Im in what would be consider a slightly smaller or close to average size school with over 1300. The high schools have well over 2000 to 3000 children. One of the schools I know has over 4000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta