U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 57,050 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Gosh
It is so hard moving from another state. We have briefly driven around this area of "brookhaven" if you will and just not sure what feel to get. There are many rebuilds, great prices, a ton of vacancies (hence market/economy), or is it due the the neighborhood feel...being largely an infill area. Perhaps a great future investment but with young kids I don't really want to be one of the first ones'...but nor do i want to pass up on a solid investment.
We have 3 small children, 2 dogs and desire to be in an area with other young families, parks etc.
From what I recall what I found a bit strange to me was how close the houses were to each other and no yard!! Hard to swallow with kids/dogs.

I would love to hear from people who live here...love/hate and why. Or if you don't live here why you may or may not choose this area.

Perplexed
But still happy to be moving back south from a cool -30F today. yes freezing!!!!!

Thanks your thoughts, advice are greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 04:09 PM

23,122 posts, read 39,357,389 times
The neighborhoods that you cite...Brookhaven, Ashford Park, Lynwood Park...really 'cover the gamut', as they say. The areas of Brookhaven north of Peachtree Rd (with the Capital City Golf Club as its' centerpiece) are quite wealthy, and some of the best in the city. South of Peachtree, and into Ashford Park, the area is 'transitional'...it has become quite popular with infill and 'teardown' developers in recent years, and although it lies adjacent to the sketchy 'Buford Corridor', it is still considered a good buy.
Lynwood Park is a small, traditionally African-American neighborhood on the eastern boundary of Brookhaven...it, too, has been a popular neighborhood for 'teardown' developers and is quickly losing its' original identity.
IMO, both Lynwood and Ashford Parks are neighborhoods whose stocks are rising. I would not have a problem with buying in any of these neighborhoods.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 PM

15,622 posts, read 25,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The neighborhoods that you cite...Brookhaven, Ashford Park, Lynwood Park...really 'cover the gamut', as they say. The areas of Brookhaven north of Peachtree Rd (with the Capital City Golf Club as its' centerpiece) are quite wealthy, and some of the best in the city. South of Peachtree, and into Ashford Park, the area is 'transitional'...it has become quite popular with infill and 'teardown' developers in recent years, and although it lies adjacent to the sketchy 'Buford Corridor', it is still considered a good buy.
Lynwood Park is a small, traditionally African-American neighborhood on the eastern boundary of Brookhaven...it, too, has been a popular neighborhood for 'teardown' developers and is quickly losing its' original identity.
IMO, both Lynwood and Ashford Parks are neighborhoods whose stocks are rising. I would not have a problem with buying in any of these neighborhoods.
Yes...and a most of the area (but not all) attends Ashford Park Elementary...which is good with lots o' community support. Ashford Park students then go on to Chamblee Middle and Chamblee High...also highly regarded.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,778,143 times
Why those neighborhoods?

Where will your employment be and what price range for housing are you looking for?

If a big yard is a priority-- then there are certainly other options...

Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 AM

11,333 posts, read 24,132,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Why those neighborhoods?

Where will your employment be and what price range for housing are you looking for?

If a big yard is a priority-- then there are certainly other options...
Yards in our entire subdivision tend to be between .3 and .5 acres, for example, although most of them are half covered with trees.

Of course, I have no idea at all what the original poster is looking for in terms of location or price range.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 PM

14 posts, read 57,050 times
I am not looking for huge yards...but enough for 3 kids to run around and 2 large dogs and not topple over one another. (guess play catch....throw a ball for a lab to run etc)
As for price range we are between 500-650K.
Employment will be at Emory H and we have driven around all those areas and we prefer something newer, not ranch style, and not a fix it upper.
ps dont mind part of the yard wooded either....(good for those dog piles I may miss)
Although around emory was very pretty and decatur cute, not sure it fits our bill from what we saw or just our personal taste. We did like the oak grove area, but no homes there that fit our bill at this point.
thanks for this info.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 PM

23,122 posts, read 39,357,389 times
Mladyj,
There are quite a few posters on here that know the NW DeKalb area well...why don't you make a 'wish list' of the things that you are looking for in a house and neighborhood (style-wise in particular), and I'll endeavor to give you some direction.
BTW, there is a delightful neighborhood in north Decatur...Parc Manor is on Mason Mill Rd on the east side of Clairmont Rd. The homes are new, charming, close to Emory, in your price range...and not a ranch in sight.

Last edited by Iconographer; 12-23-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,778,143 times
I think it is important that you visit the potential schools. Regardless of what might have heard or think of a certain school-- only you know what is important to you and what you think your child needs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: