Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I'm from California and feel the same way...when it comes down to it all most blacks and whites are just guilty of self-segregating themselves. It's hard to compare California to Atlanta because of demographics but the clubs in West Hollywood are more mixed with all races who enjoy Hip-Hop & R&B and Pop not just a white crowd and a black crowd. It's going to take time here in Atlanta to create more of a balace with more Hispanics, Latinos and Asians moving here and growing up as well. Even the Asians/Indians and Latinos have their own nights at various clubs and many Colombians/Dominicans/Mexicans/etc have their own clubs that are great out in Gwinnett. Most times I'm the only African-American in the club but I can fit in wherever I go (I can pass for Dominican/Colombian or even East African) and growing up around all different cultures and races in California jus tmakes it easier more me. But for alot of whites and blacks from the south they simply just feel more comfortable around their own kind for whatever reason...Bottom line is people need to have more of an open mind.

Back to topic a bit it's tons of stuff to do here in Atlanta and downtown and the immediately n'hoods adjacent to downtown. Many surburbanites and out of towners just don't know how to look for the best spots and since their is no Centralized club /bar district people sometimes write Atlanta off. I think it's cool that we have 3 districts and other smaller areas to get around too in visit in various neighborhoods.
Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I'm from California and feel the same way...when it comes down to it all most blacks and whites are just guilty of self-segregating themselves. It's hard to compare California to Atlanta because of demographics but the clubs in West Hollywood are more mixed with all races who enjoy Hip-Hop & R&B and Pop not just a white crowd and a black crowd. It's going to take time here in Atlanta to create more of a balace with more Hispanics, Latinos and Asians moving here and growing up as well. Even the Asians/Indians and Latinos have their own nights at various clubs and many Colombians/Dominicans/Mexicans/etc have their own clubs that are great out in Gwinnett. Most times I'm the only African-American in the club but I can fit in wherever I go (I can pass for Dominican/Colombian or even East African) and growing up around all different cultures and races in California jus tmakes it easier more me. But for alot of whites and blacks from the south they simply just feel more comfortable around their own kind for whatever reason...Bottom line is people need to have more of an open mind.

Back to topic a bit it's tons of stuff to do here in Atlanta and downtown and the immediately n'hoods adjacent to downtown. Many surburbanites and out of towners just don't know how to look for the best spots and since their is no Centralized club /bar district people sometimes write Atlanta off. I think it's cool that we have 3 districts and other smaller areas to get around too in visit in various neighborhoods.

Another black male checking in from Houston and I have to say that your post is spot on. I've visited the West Coast several times within the last few years with hopes of moving there. Whenever I visited, I would go out clubbing with fellow dj's and friends; many who were either white or middle-eastern. The clubs were VERY mixed and people were just enjoying themselves and each others company. I rarely go out in Housotn because of the lack of variety of clubs here. I tend to go for the House/Dance music scene and that's lacking sorely down here, just hip hop/RnB. Not to mention if you enjoy this type of music people tend to look at you as either gay or an Oreo. I've been spinning house since high school (15) and I'm now 25.

I would love to move out west but the salary that allows me to live very comfortable out here will probably barely suffice in San Francisco, etc... Right now Atlanta makes more since career and school wise which is why I'll be moving within a year.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
We REALLY need a new mayor. But that's gonna take a large scale evolution of cultural mindset by many of the citizens of Atlanta, which unfortunately are babyboomers still plagued with the mindset of the 1960's.

At some point my peoples are gonna have to let it go. Jim Crow is gone, buried, never to return. Are there still those wishing for its return? Yes! but that shouldn't stop us from marching headfirst into tomorrow. The future is NOW. Elect someone based on intelligence, common sense with a forward thinking vision.

Quality of life should be the new mantra. Let go of this anger! Who's with me? Anyone?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
what about house and techno music? In DC, you find that you hear that a lot more whereas in Atlanta it seems to be hip hop ad nauseam...
Not in gay clubs it isn't...

Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

AND there are some clubs in Atlanta that play techno and House One comes to mind is MJQ and also there are clubs that play baltimore club music so i Dont know what you are talking about and the white clubs play Hip Hop too

Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,844 times
Ya'll must not venture out to 12th street and Crescent very often. There are tons of clubs and bars there and you can park your car and "bar hop" all night if you want to. Opera, Sutra Lounge, Leopard Lounge, Twisted Taco, and Lava Lounge just to name a few. They're also set to open a Tin Lizzy's in the area which is known for outstanding live music and great cheap margaritas

Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,500 times
Quote:
Well Certain straight clubs play house I know for sure that MJQ does, Now the straight clubs are now starting to play that Baltimore clubs music. I love house but not Techno that stuff gives me a headache. Here are some videos of some nights out in atlanta this is not all just a few. Remember people where saying Atlanta had ugly women in that Atlanta vs San Diego thread from this one of these videos you can see thats clearly not true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPnu0D5RCh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1VpvdlTvVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBtY...eature=related

Some Gay nightlife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQ0hPri6fM&feature=fvw

Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
I responded "not in gay clubs it isn't" to the statement that Atlanta it seems to be hip hop ad nauseam...meaning that Atlanta clubs are much more diverse than simply hip hop music, particularly the gay clubs.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,500 times
Quote:
I responded "not in gay clubs it isn't" to the statement that Atlanta it seems to be hip hop ad nauseam...meaning that Atlanta clubs are much more diverse than simply hip hop music, particularly the gay clubs.

I was agreeing with you adding that straight clubs play it too....

Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
There is plenty of nightlife for everyone's tastes in Atlanta. Just because the clubs don't stay open 24 hours anymore doesn't mean it sucks. I lived in NYC for a short while, and there wasn't a club or bar district, they were spread out all over the city. You had to walk, take a cab, or the subway. Of course Atlanta isn't like NY in terms of walking, but it is getting better.

It's like everyone refers to Downtown Atlanta but they forget about Midtown, which over the years has become a popular place to go out, and it's a short cab ride or train ride from Downtown. I would really like to see the Midtown Mile built out. Then you have Little 5 Points and Virginia Highlands where you can park (or take a cab) and hang out all night. Of course there is always room for improvement, especially for cleaning up Downtown and making it a safer place for everyone, but in the meantime maybe the city needs to do a better job of marketing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta