Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM

18 posts, read 60,202 times

Advertisements

Looking for insight into Concord Farms by Ashton Woods & Evans Farms by McCarr in Cumming and Legacy @ Palmetto Farms and Palmer Falls by Silvercreek in S Fulton. I have 2 teens, so the quality of schools is very important, would like a friendly, racially diverse community. Swim/tennis is a must, and need to stay under $275k max. I'd really appreciate any info as we've contemplated this move now for 2 1/2 years and think that with this buyers market this may be the best time to make the move.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,366,182 times
South is not diverse. Cumming and most areas in s fulton are a single race on the other end of the spectrum; take your pick which one you prefer better.

Ashton woods are a good builder so that would sway me to go with their development.

i drive by concord farms often and like the area but some might find it rural. .

palmer falls is in douglas county, not in fulton. palmetto farms are also in douglas county.

i suggest you recheck your bearings as it may help your questions.

cheers

Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 25,636 times
Now is the BEST TIME to buy a house for sure. But it's important to not be too far from work, the drive times can get to be a headache depending on where you live & work.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, the 4 communities I listed were among the 15 - 20 or so that we visited on a 3-day weekend and after a while they all seemed to blend together, so thanks for setting me straight about the 2 in Douglas. From what I've gleaned from other posts ATL may not have any areas that are truly diverse, but I don't want an area where my family may be taunted or made to feel uncomfortable (on a previous trip 2 years ago we visited a nice development in Walton Cty but the drive through saw a few rural homes with giant size Confederate flags posted, which definitely crossed that development off the list).
We weren't able to spend a lot of time in the Cumming area so it was hard to really get a feel for the place, so I was hoping to get some info from others who are familiar with the area.

Again, thanks.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM

I would look at vinnings or the better areas of smyrna and marietta. They are probably as diverse as it gets without being snobbish or just run down. It seems location tends to be flexible for you as you are looking all over the place.

Atlanta suffers from a strong here goes the neighborhood disease.. The peripheral counties vary a lot at times and you might want to skip cumming since even if you dont see it outright, i doubt it is what you are looking for from the sound of it.

Have you looked at powder springs? Its worth a look i would say. But definitely check out marietta. It is huge and generally mixed up and affordable, as long as you stay out of the posh east and west areas (can't miss them with the mcmansions everywhere)

Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 PM

I had not really looked into Powder Springs, that is Cobb Cty, not sure why. I'm not pinned down to any particuler area, because IF the nursing shortage down there is similar to here in the NE, I'm thinking I should be abe to secure employment in any of the areas. (I'm really hoping I'm not wrong on that issue because I do know your traffic down there is horrible and mass transit isn't available everywhere).
I know that Legacy has an community DeFoors Farm I think that's in Powder Springs, we just didn't have the time to go into Cobb. We looked at areas on the drive down that were off 400 and GA20, just to the west as far as exit 36 off 85 (285?) in Douglas and around Campbellton-Cascade-Fairburn (which we found accidentally because we were lost, could not find the subdivs we wanted and just looked at the ones we ran into) and then a few on the drive back to Jersey that were in Lawrenceville.

I digress, but if you know anything about Defoors Farm, or something similar in powder springs, please share. I will have to do a real estate search on Smyrna, Marietta since I know nothing of these areas.

Thanks much.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times
Cumming has easy access to medical facilities. It is fairly diverse...you will be fine there.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:07 PM

It is?

//www.city-data.com/city/Cumming-Georgia.html

cumming city is mostly latino. the rest is all white. population confinement is high.... i go through there at least 4 times a week.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Arrow Is there a gang presence in Cumming?

The area of Cumming you pass through, does it have a gang presence? I recall seeing an episode of "Gangland" on The History Channel that focused on hispanic-immigrant gang activity in Gwinnett I thought, but now I'm wondering was it Forsyth?? I know gangs are everywhere, but I'd like to lessen by chances of living in a known gang area, I do have a teenage son to think about.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,625,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillykat View Post
I had not really looked into Powder Springs, that is Cobb Cty, not sure why. I'm not pinned down to any particuler area, because IF the nursing shortage down there is similar to here in the NE, I'm thinking I should be abe to secure employment in any of the areas. (I'm really hoping I'm not wrong on that issue because I do know your traffic down there is horrible and mass transit isn't available everywhere).
I know that Legacy has an community DeFoors Farm I think that's in Powder Springs, we just didn't have the time to go into Cobb. We looked at areas on the drive down that were off 400 and GA20, just to the west as far as exit 36 off 85 (285?) in Douglas and around Campbellton-Cascade-Fairburn (which we found accidentally because we were lost, could not find the subdivs we wanted and just looked at the ones we ran into) and then a few on the drive back to Jersey that were in Lawrenceville.

I digress, but if you know anything about Defoors Farm, or something similar in powder springs, please share. I will have to do a real estate search on Smyrna, Marietta since I know nothing of these areas.

Thanks much.
CityKat

The nursing shortage is bad, but I don't think all the hospitals pay the same. In fact, I believe the further you go out from the city core, the less the pay gets. We have friends who moved fairly far out a few years ago and now she comes in to work at Northside several days a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta