Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Still not the popular cultural capital for mainstream America that cities like San Fran, New York, LA, etc. are. Atlanta's growth (like the rest of the Sunbelt) is largely due to affordability and jobs. Most of the transplants that move there are going straight to the suburbs. So Atlanta is a "white mecca" the same way every other second tier city is.

For black Americans, on the other hand, Atlanta is a much more significant spot on the map.

Now wait a minute -- nearly 100% of all blacks are also going straight to the suburbs. Aren't they drawn by affordability and jobs just like whites are?

If blacks came because of Atlanta's unique history of African Americans in government, education, and business, they'd settle where that history actually exists -- namely, in the city of Atlanta.

However, that's not the case. The city's black population has dwindled, while nearly all African American growth has been in the suburbs.

Since the burbs (a) really don't have any tradition of unique opportunity for African Americans, and (b) that's where virtually all black migration occurs, it's hard to say it's driven by factors different from those that drive Atlanta's other migration.

That's why it seems clear that the things make Atlanta a black Mecca are the same things that have made it a white Mecca. And increasingly, a Mecca for Asians, Hispanics, and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This is how you come off with statements like this:

It's all about US! How dare those Hispanics try to steal Atlanta's spotlight. 700,000? That's nothing! 5.7% Asian, above the national average? Pooh-pooh! Nothing comes close to US! We run this town!
Like I was saying before, I have no control over how you perceive my posts or whatever underlying statements you think are there. That's not my problem. I know that's not what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Now wait a minute -- nearly 100% of all blacks are also going straight to the suburbs. Aren't they drawn by affordability and jobs just like whites are?

If blacks came because of Atlanta's unique history of African Americans in government, education, and business, they'd settle where that history actually exists -- namely, in the city of Atlanta.

However, that's not the case. The city's black population has dwindled, while nearly all African American growth has been in the suburbs.

Since the burbs (a) really don't have any tradition of unique opportunity for African Americans, and (b) that's where virtually all black migration occurs, it's hard to say it's driven by factors different from those that drive Atlanta's other migration.

That's why it seems clear that the things make Atlanta a black Mecca are the same things that have made it a white Mecca. And increasingly, a Mecca for Asians, Hispanics, and others.
You have a point about blacks going to the suburbs, but there's still strong interest in the city. I'm sure you'll argue this to the ends of the earth, but Atlanta is simply not a major cultural destination for most of the nation. It is for blacks.

The city is a major hub for black culture and entertainment. Don't forget the countless popular recording artists and other black household name celebrities that reside here. Major record labels, black owned businesses, conventions and other events that cater to the entire nationwide black community. Even Chris Rock jokingly stated before that Atlanta was where "all major black decisions are made".

Atlanta is a cornerstone of the African American community. Can you honestly tell me it's the same way for whites or any other minority group in the area?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You have a point about blacks going to the suburbs, but there's still strong interest in the city. I'm sure you'll argue this to the ends of the earth, but Atlanta is simply not a major cultural destination for most of the nation. It is for blacks.

The city is a major hub for black culture and entertainment. Don't forget the countless popular recording artists and other black household name celebrities that reside here. Major record labels, black owned businesses, conventions and other events that cater to the entire nationwide black community. Even Chris Rock jokingly stated before that Atlanta was where "all major black decisions are made".

Atlanta is a cornerstone of the African American community. Can you honestly tell me it's the same way for whites or any other minority group in the area?
With all due respect I think you're looking at things through far too a narrow lens.

Atlanta IS a major cultural center for whites. It has been for many, many years. The city has deep connections with whites going back 170 years. That includes the city's major residantial districts, its commerical centers and countless buusinesses, its colleges and universities, libraries and museums, and countless other cultural amenities. We have homegrown companies like Delta, Coca Cola and Home Depot that have global footprints. Atlanta's white population has a great legacy of stadiums, pro and college sports teams, golfers and golf courses, parks, and international expositions and events. NASCAR has deep roots here and ties to Atlanta's white population, along with a rich legacy of auto manufacturing and service industries. Hip hip currently dominates the local music scene but you'd be mistaken if you thought that was the alpha and omega of Atlanta's role in popular music. Atlanta's white folks put cable TV on the map and have produced scores of leaders in business, education and the arts.

I could go on but suffice to say that Atlanta has a profound relationship with its white population. Atlanta is home base for white people all around the world. Put up the city's iconic images -- Coke, Stone Mountain, our skyscrapers and magnificent urban forest, the Braves, etc., -- and I guarantee you that white folks all over the world will instantly know where you talking about.

And if you've followed some of the other threads, you know that Atlanta is fast becoming a destination for Asians. We have a huge Hispanic population. We're increasingly a destination for others from all around the world.

So sure, Atlanta has been a beacon for blacks in the past few decades. But it would be way off target not to understand that it has also been a major destination for whites and other ethnicities as well. You simply can't appreciate the fullness of what Atlanta is if you look at it thorugh the blinders of "black Mecca" alone.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Well, just like I was sure you would, you managed to take every last thing I was saying and completely twist it around. We'll just have to agree to disagree, because I really have no interest in going back and forth with this when it's clear that all you and BBC will continue to do is accuse me of suggesting that blacks are somehow the only group that has contributed to Atlanta. I've stated my points as clearly as I know how, so if you don't get it, then I can't help you.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM

...maybe you have to be African American to fully comprehend what is trying to be said. Just a musing...

It's not so much about what blacks are to Atlanta as it is what Atlanta is to blacks.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:

The line between city and suburb in every metro across the nation has been majorly blurred over the years, so that's really a moot point. We live in a metropolitan nation now so for all intents and purposes, the entire metro area is Atlanta. Plus at least one particular suburb--Dekalb County--has been a place where a lot of the Black wealth in the metro area has been concentrated for some time now. That's not exactly a recent phenomenon. It's all about access, and not necessarily being in the exact center of the action. For instance, people who move to the West Coast who want to make it in Hollywood don't all actually settle down in Hollywood. They live all over the Greater Los Angeles area because they'll still have that access to resources, contacts, etc. to make it in the business.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
...maybe you have to be African American to fully comprehend what is trying to be said. Just a musing...

It's not so much about what blacks are to Atlanta as it is what Atlanta is to blacks.
Well, I do appreciate that.

And as someone who loves and is proud of their city, I am sure you can appreciate that for many of us of other ethnicities Atlanta also means something very special. Like you, it's where we came of age, found our inspiration, raised our families and reached for our dreams. And that includes our dreams of working to create a place where everyone could live together in with respect and dignity.

Atlanta is a town a lot of people love to bash, and no it is not Paris or New York. But for a scrawny hillbilly kid with hopes for something better it was the shining city on the hill. Always will be.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The line between city and suburb in every metro across the nation has been majorly blurred over the years, so that's really a moot point.
I think the line is blurred, too, but AlGreen is the one who argued that "Atlanta's growth (like the rest of the Sunbelt) is largely due to affordability and jobs. Most of the transplants that move there are going straight to the suburbs. So Atlanta is a 'white mecca' the same way every other second tier city is."

My point is simply that if moving straight to the burbs because of jobs and affordability is what undercuts Atlanta as a beacon to whites, then it obviously undercuts the notion of Atlanta as a black Mecca as well, in that blacks are doing the same thing.
Quote:
We live in a metropolitan nation now so for all intents and purposes, the entire metro area is Atlanta. Plus at least one particular suburb--Dekalb County--has been a place where a lot of the Black wealth in the metro area has been concentrated for some time now. That's not exactly a recent phenomenon.
Actually DeKalb's status as a majority black county and a center of black wealth is fairly recent. In 1980 DeKalb was 71% white and 23% black. The big demographic shift didn't take place until the following decade. By 1990 DeKalb had become 42% white and 54% black -- a pretty dramatic shift.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree, because I really have no interest in going back and forth with this when it's clear that all you and BBC will continue to do is accuse me of suggesting that blacks are somehow the only group that has contributed to Atlanta.
Er, I haven't suggested that at all. To the contrary, I've many times written about the great things Atlanta's black citizens bring to the city. Atlanta wouldn't be what it is without the countless contributions of its black residents over the years.

And I've certainly not twisted around anything you've said. What you asked me was:
"Atlanta is a cornerstone of the African American community. Can you honestly tell me it's the same way for whites or any other minority group in the area?"
And that's exactly what I did. If you've been here any time at all, you know the things I mentioned are 100% true. So it's a little perplexing why you would call that "twisting" or insist that Atlanta is not as important to its many white residents as it is to its black citizens. Just like you, we've also made our lives here for a long time and poured our hearts, talents and resources into helping make Atlanta what it is. Just like anyone else, we could have gone elsewhere but this city called to us so we decided to stay and try to make it better. And like others, we've ridden it out through thick and thin.

If that's a problem for you, I don't know what to say. It's reality.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 PM

You still don't understand what I'm saying. I know you think you do, but trust me, you don't. If you truly did, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Right here is where you slipped up:

Quote:
So it's a little perplexing why you would call that "twisting" or insist that Atlanta is not as important to its many white residents as it is to its black citizens.
Not once did I say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta