Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Are you familiar with the work of Charles Murray?
You are not too bright if you are quoting The Bell Curve as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:58 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not in the least, I'm very proud of it!

The only people getting offended seemed to be those who don't want to recognize that Atlanta is a whole lot more than a black Mecca. We're a city with long, rich traditions that go back way before anybody thought of us a popular place for African Americans.

And we're still evolving in many new directions.

I might've missed it, but I didn't notice anyone expressing that idea.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM

684 posts, read 1,121,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are not too bright if you are quoting The Bell Curve as fact.
Or you cant spot an obvious joke despite the icon.

Damn man, I like Atlanta a lot. Great town. I was just taken aback by the not so friendly vibe towards any non blacks.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
...I was just taken aback by the not so friendly vibe towards any non blacks.

From where are you getting this vibe???

Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Or you cant spot an obvious joke despite the icon.

Damn man, I like Atlanta a lot. Great town. I was just taken aback by the not so friendly vibe towards any non blacks.
If youre non back how can you know how other blacks treat anybody any different than they even treat themselves?In other words why would you assume its "color" and not class,territorial or some other reason.I dont feel a certain welcoming from other blacks when I go to certain places ether.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 PM

684 posts, read 1,121,868 times
I'd a well raised, upper middle class guy. No one in Atlanta can look down at me on that front.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I'd a well raised, upper middle class guy. No one in Atlanta can look down at me on that front.
Ok I may have interpreted what you are saying inaccurately.If you read what I have now since erased,please disregard.My focus was not entirely on C-D.

The point of the mater is that class and color is the same everywhere.In CA you have Asian communities that are from the old guard where money and privileged is a reality of the family in which you come from.Atlanta you have that as well among blacks.The uneducated blacks give educated blacks looks and vice versa but thats hardly everywhere you go in the city.I live downtown Atlanta and have had 2 Korean students live in my house .I was at ones wedding recently.

Anyway race just is not as big as you are trying to make it seem.It less here Id say than most places that get a pass

Old 05-18-2011, 10:41 PM

187 posts, read 403,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Like talking to a brick wall.

Hell, let's just take every bit of meaning from the word altogether. Every city in America is an everybody mecca, apparently.
Are you kidding?! Atlanta is not just any other city. It is one of the most international cities in the U.S.

Welcome to reality:
1.) NYC
2.) LA
3.) Chicago
4.) Atlanta

People! Welcome to 21st century Atlanta: a mecca for Asians and Hispanics. We have room for everyone, so come on down!

Would the old-timers who deny this please realize they are stuck in 96?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Atlanta really has moved beyond bi-culturalism and that's good for everybody. I'm delighted that we continue to attract African Americans but it's even more exciting to see Atlanta becoming truly diverse on a large scale.

I totally agree. While the whole black mecca thing is cool, its novelty has worn off. Atlanta being a black mecca belongs on the cover of an 80s newspaper. Its old news!

Whats exciting is to see Atlanta as an Asian Mecca and a Hispanic Mecca, something new for this city. Its what people are interested in nowadays. Some of the old-timers are slow to see change, but just because they cant see it doesnt mean it will go away. I cant tell you how exciting it is to live in one of the nation's premier international cities.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Not in the least, I'm very proud of it!

The only people getting offended seemed to be those who don't want to recognize that Atlanta is a whole lot more than a black Mecca. We're a city with long, rich traditions that go back way before anybody thought of us a popular place for African Americans.

And we're still evolving in many new directions.

I cant give you enough rep points for this. Will you please run for mayor??? We need people like you who embrace the future of our city instead of denying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta