Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Afonega, before I get into this, I should have clarified that you, out of all of the posters mentioned, are the most intelligent and level-headed. I should not have lumped you in with Aries and AlGreen.

When did I claim to speak for my kind?

None of those things are what makes a poster selfish/self-centered. It's selfish when people come in here trying to claim Atlanta is an Asian Mecca and people respond by saying, "no no no, It's a black mecca." OK, we get it, it's a black mecca, what does that have to do with it being an Asian Mecca? Why is calling Atlanta an Asian Mecca something that needs to be countered/rebutted with Atlanta being a Black Mecca? Is it fear? No one will answer this.

We aren't talking about other cities, we are talking about Atlanta.

I know you think the term "Black Mecca" is entirely innocent, and that calling some place a black mecca is entirely benign, but it's not. Some people are offended and feel excluded by the term. Singling out a race tends to have that effect. I can't help that. People just do not like to see any race singled out, even if it's a positive. Not everyone thinks a black mecca = "everybody from all kinds of backgrounds live here and contribute equally." You need to come to terms with this reality. What you think a black mecca imputes is not universal.

What are you talking about? I have no problem with King Day or Springfest. My problem is when people act like King Day is the only cultural event Atlanta has to offer, or that Springfest is the best or most significant street fest. My problem is when people purposely ignore Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's day. My problem is when people rename streets in honor of Civil Rights heroes because they think that is when Atlanta's history started. Do you see the difference? I'm not against black people. I am against the minimization of other groups.

Black people don't have to answer to me. I only address the ones that agree with each other in their disagreement with me. Don't be so dramatic. Maybe if groupthink and "attack on one of us is an attack on all of us" wasn't so prevalent, this wouldn't be a problem.

Black history and slavery is not glazed over. There is a whole month devoted to it. What school did you go to? It's never glazed over and if you think it is then you have a persecution complex. It shouldn't be glazed over and it isn't. But that's where you get turned around. Just because people want to celebrate Asian-American history, or Confederate American, or whatever, does not mean they are "glazing over" black history. Atlanta is full of black history institutions, and last time I checked, no one is trying to shut them down. We are only asking that you recognize that simply focusing on Atlanta's black history, while a huge part of the picture, is not the whole picture. It should be integrated and treated as Atlanta's history, not just Atlanta's black history.
Ok.Lets all calm down and respect each other as we believe what we SAY we believe.From now on lets not assume one thing said is anymore than what is actually said.Its ok if you dont agree but lets stop accusing each of of some nefarious plan to make ourselves more important than those who are moving to Atlanta today.

When I mentioned slavery.I mentioned it as a joke that is what most whites and even black know about black(American)history.African American history did not start around the Civil War.

Example I told a French(yes Al Green)about Crispus Attucks because of their recent trip to Boston.I even told them about the black governors and legislators in the late 1800's.They were astounded because what history they new was through the epic movie Roots.

Honestly speaking how much did you know about Alonzo Herdon,Pinchback,The Yanceys ,Matwilde Dobbs,etc....or any black history of Atlanta or Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
You make me proud everytime.. talking to him is like talking to a dead rabbit.. The whole black thing really bothers him. He needs to get over it quick. If he doesn't like Atlanta being associated with the term BLACK MECCA tell him to punch it too Portland!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Whats pathetic is your inability and low self esteem that cannot see the world as you see it is not the world everybody wants to be in except you and people who think like you.You say you are not a racist yet all your post are basically centered around how we blacks should make "you and your kind " more comfortable.
So let me get this straight im selfish because i am acknowledging a past where black Atlantans help build this city?If Im wrong please educate me when Hispanic slaves built local Hispanic college when they were not allowed to attend college with whites?Where is the Chinatown which is a symbol of a racist past in most cities where Asian could not live and work in most of the city they lived without we herald those places like its "exotic" and fascinating.
Why dont I hear you vehemently opposing why cities have within there cities where ONLY Chineese and Koreans live,work,and play?WHERE IS YOUR OUTRAGE!!!These are much worse than a city known as a black mecca.At least in a black mecca ,everybody from all kinds of backgrounds live here and contribute equally.
BUT you got an ingrown hair up your ass as because someone said "black".

Saint Patricks Day is a celebration of Irish culture in which every bodies Irish for a day.People of all kinds having fun in revelry.

Cinco De Mayo is celebrated with street parties and days off for many people and cities to celebrate a holiday that is not even and American holiday!!!

As soon as something is associated as "black"(of all things);King Day,You and people who think like you don't want to celebrate because its "for blacks"!Really?What black said so?

BBC you have onesided view of the world and its evident you just dont want to care or' even consider that you may just be wrong.Just because you have other people who agree with you does not make it right.One thing I have always noticed in your post is you question all that what blacks "do" and how "they" make you feel.Why should one race have to answer for everybody or better yet;answer to you?

I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE!I don't need you to tell me how I feel and what I want.I have a culture tied here to Atlanta.I happen to be black.When I travel all over the world I WANT to learn about others culture.They 9 times out of ten want to know about me and mine.Unfortunately black history is often glazed over as if its just slavery in school due to a really racist past and not a superficial one as you suggest happens to you.Today they are doing a much better job but its people like you who feel intimidated that keep these stories that are truly American from being associated a uniquely American.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You make me proud everytime.. talking to him is like talking to a dead rabbit.. The whole black thing really bothers him. He needs to get over it quick. If he doesn't like Atlanta being associated with the term BLACK MECCA tell him to punch it too Portland!!!!!!!!
LOL, for real. In fact when I think of Portland the term "Bizarro Atlanta with water" comes to mind.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, for real. In fact when I think of Portland the term "Bizarro Atlanta with water" comes to mind.
The funny thing is the term black Mecca never stoped any other race from moving to this metro.. The term Chocolate city didn't stop people from other races from moving to DC.. DC and Atlanta are almost identical when it comes to blacks being very successful and more affluential.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
The funny thing is the term black Mecca never stoped any other race from moving to this metro.. The term Chocolate city didn't stop people from other races from moving to DC.. DC and Atlanta are almost identical when it comes to blacks being very successful and more affluential.
True. Then again, there are all sorts of silly things people who think that the whole Black Mecca/Chocolate city thing means hating white people (it doesn't) or white people or others aren't successful (it doesn't either) believe. For example, they are usually the type (not all folks) that believe that if a white person went down to the West End right now and stood on the corner of Abernathy that the mere sight of them by the "locals" would mean they would be raped, murdered, mugged or a combination of all three. Like they seriously believe that. LOL

Sometimes it's more fruitful to laugh at ignorance than to get bent out of shape about it.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Trust me I do get wore out on this site.If business was not slow at the moment I would not even be on here so much.Long as you(not you)can hear me for what I say instead of reading something into what I say and accepting my statements at face value for what they are,we should be able to agree to disagree and move on without bitterness and anger.

As it stands we all want and like the changes in diversity our city has shown so lets not divide ourselves over the small details that really dont matter if you see it or not.Let those who are truly racist continue to hate the fact that we can find some comfort in knowing each of us dont harbor such anger ,animosity and racial bitterness.Compassion toward one another is the only true testament of our commitment to respect each other as individuals in the human diaspora.

I hope that did not sound too much like Glenda the "good witch" from Oz....

Old 05-19-2011, 03:22 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
True. Then again, there are all sorts of silly things people who think that the whole Black Mecca/Chocolate city thing means hating white people (it doesn't) or white people or others aren't successful (it doesn't either) believe.
Says who? I didn't know there was a universal definition of "Black Mecca". Please link me to it, and what it means and doesn't mean. That would really clear the air.

Quote:
For example, they are usually the type (not all folks) that believe that if a white person went down to the West End right now and stood on the corner of Abernathy that the mere sight of them by the "locals" would mean they would be raped, murdered, mugged or a combination of all three. Like they seriously believe that. LOL
How do you know? By the way, if West End is so great, why don't you live there?

Quote:
Sometimes it's more fruitful to laugh at ignorance than to get bent out of shape about it.
The only thing funny is watching you and other black posters get upset when someone calls Atlanta an Asian Mecca. It's also funny to watch the groupthink. Is there some nerve center telling you what to think, or does that just ingrained from years of experience?

How dare I take issue with the exclusion of other groups. In fact, me taking issue is actually an attack on all black people, all over the U.S. Everybody take a shot! Don't let me get away with this.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is the term black Mecca never stoped any other race from moving to this metro..
You know this how? That Asian guy seemed pretty put off by it. Many people find it backwards to single out one race for celebration, and no one wants to live in a backwards city.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
How about some full disclosure. Do you cringe when you think of Portland? Be honest.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:34 PM

I knew I should have just stayed out of this thread.50 pages I did just that.You hope that by giving your honest and sincere opinion would be taken as it is..an opinion!One that is shaped by personal experiences.Those are owned by each individual whether black or white.No one can tell you thr true meaning of whats in your heart.

If someone asked me that and I answered its like a black mecca,then compared to where I may have been before ,this could be a new and positive thing FOR ME.Why does it have to be negative for anybody else because of how I feel.Its not like people are putting up signs saying "black mecca don't come".
Im sorry but I just cant apologize for someone unwilling to see that heaven can be the same place occupied by 2 different people who are happy to be there but with a different descriptions of what heaven means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta