Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Doubt that, this is the normal review or opinion of how it was in ATL during the Olympics.
No, it is not. It is the normal opinion of how it was in Atlanta during the Olympics from people who weren't here for the Games. They, like you, have paid attention to hearsay and apparently think everything in the news is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You'd probably have to say that about a lot of cities in America. Blame Corporatism. It takes something natural and pristine and corrupts it into a mockery that has to make money in order to justify it's own existence. We are all tainted by this process, and that is what contributes to Atlanta's lack of character.
What REALLY contributes to a lack of character is a sheltered existence in which a person doesn't fully comprehend and appreciate his surroundings. I suggest you find out more about Atlanta before you make anymore comments like the one above. It makes you come across as angry and bitter...and not very bright.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No, it is not. It is the normal opinion of how it was in Atlanta during the Olympics from people who weren't here for the Games. They, like you, have paid attention to hearsay and apparently think everything in the news is true.
The Olympics in Atlanta was considered one of the worst olympics ever. Just get over it, for once stop trying to make up an excuse for everything and just take it how it is. Many people will say ATL was not prepared or ready to host the Olympics, and even today it wouldn't be.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,886 times
Quote:
The Olympics in Atlanta was considered one of the worst olympics ever. Just get over it, for once stop trying to make up an excuse for everything and just take it how it is. Many people will say ATL was not prepared or ready to host the Olympics, and even today it wouldn't be.
But to steal a line from a great movie, "Best in Show", about Shoeless Joe Jackson: He may have been crooked, but hey, "we're still talking about him today!". The same is true of Atlanta. You may not think Atlanta belongs among the majestic cities of the world, the Barcelonas, Beijings, Sydneys, and whatever. But Atlanta got the games. And put them on. And basically pulled them off. And has been catapulted by the experience to a different level.

So, what you say about Atlanta not having been "ready to host" them might even be true, but still, it doesn't matter because if they were held today Atlanta most certainly WOULD be (at least, all things equal). THAT is the true significance of the games in Atlanta's case. It catapulted a city onto a new level (leaving aside what your judgement of that is or whether it's really worthwhile. The point is, it happened.)

What to make of your snarky, troll-like tone. This is the second thread where I've seen you post tonight, and I have to say, it doesn't seem as though you're much interested in actually discussing things but just in delivering drive-by putdowns. Am I right?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
But to steal a line from a great movie, "Best in Show", about Shoeless Joe Jackson: He may have been crooked, but hey, "we're still talking about him today!". The same is true of Atlanta. You may not think Atlanta belongs among the majestic cities of the world, the Barcelonas, Beijings, Sydneys, and whatever. But Atlanta got the games. And put them on. And basically pulled them off. And has been catapulted by the experience to a different level.

So, what you say about Atlanta not having been "ready to host" them might even be true, but still, it doesn't matter because if they were held today Atlanta most certainly WOULD be (at least, all things equal). THAT is the true significance of the games in Atlanta's case. It catapulted a city onto a new level (leaving aside what your judgement of that is or whether it's really worthwhile. The point is, it happened.)

What to make of your snarky, troll-like tone. This is the second thread where I've seen you post tonight, and I have to say, it doesn't seem as though you're much interested in actually discussing things but just in delivering drive-by putdowns. Am I right?
I was going to respond to his lame posts, but it's really no use. We have to bow to his knowledge and expertise of the Atlanta Olympics...and actually every other possible suject as well. Some people see their perceptions and ideas as absolute. The sad thing is that when others attempt to educate and enlighten people like this, they become more obnoxiously certain that they are completely correct.

It's strange how residents of certain cities often get schooled on their own city...there is just not much possiblity of a positive discussion on Atlanta (or several others) in this forum without someone like this person jumping in to tell us how wrong we are and continue to argue - usually without any real knowledge of the subject. I chalk it up to immaturity, and it is rampant on City-Data.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
I was going to respond to his lame posts, but it's really no use. We have to bow to his knowledge and expertise of the Atlanta Olympics...and actually every other possible suject as well. Some people see their perceptions and ideas as absolute. The sad thing is that when others attempt to educate and enlighten people like this, they become more obnoxiously certain that they are completely correct.

It's strange how residents of certain cities often get schooled on their own city...there is just not much possiblity of a positive discussion on Atlanta (or several others) in this forum without someone like this person jumping in to tell us how wrong we are and continue to argue - usually without any real knowledge of the subject. I chalk it up to immaturity, and it is rampant on City-Data.
I live on the outside of ATL, so I'd think I know if people were talking about ATL or not. No one does and the olympics there is never brought up.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I don't want to judge whether the Olympics were unsuccessful, but I can tell you that my experience getting back and forth to events on MARTA was absolutely horrible. Imagine standing at the Five Points station for up to 30 minutes waiting for a train while hundreds and hundreds of people continued to stream down the escalator and add to the crowd. I'm sorry, but that's unacceptable. It's not like they weren't informed as to which events were going on where and when they were expected to end.

That is why I am very leery of taking MARTA to any large-scale events downtown. They stubbornly refuse to run trains more often at times of large demand. I honestly don't understand it.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
At least we had a Chance to host such and event No where in texas will have that chance they saw fit to bring and if they didnt think they were prepared they would have never hosted in atlanta. And I have notcied that an every topic in Atlanta you make it you buisness to talk negative about atlanta. Is there any reason why

Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I don't want to judge whether the Olympics were unsuccessful, but I can tell you that my experience getting back and forth to events on MARTA was absolutely horrible. Imagine standing at the Five Points station for up to 30 minutes waiting for a train while hundreds and hundreds of people continued to stream down the escalator and add to the crowd. I'm sorry, but that's unacceptable. It's not like they weren't informed as to which events were going on where and when they were expected to end.

That is why I am very leery of taking MARTA to any large-scale events downtown. They stubbornly refuse to run trains more often at times of large demand. I honestly don't understand it.
They Run Every 7 to 10 mins its only on Sundays that it runs Slower I ride Marta Everyday

Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Quote:
What REALLY contributes to a lack of character is a sheltered existence in which a person doesn't fully comprehend and appreciate his surroundings. I suggest you find out more about Atlanta before you make anymore comments like the one above. It makes you come across as angry and bitter...and not very bright.
Your opinion. I am actually very supportive of Atlanta and would like to see it become more than what it is. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to insinuate something about someone without conversating with them a little bit more. I noticed that a lot of people do that these days. That's MY suggestion to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta