Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 AM

102 posts, read 308,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post

interestingly, blacks are portrayed in roughly half of the entertainment shows on television, in commercials, and in the news---good and bad. where is the representation of the largest minority? i have noticed, particularly since obama has been around, that the marketing strategy of america has changed to reflect the light skinned black male and female. suddenly, most major new stations, anchors, and reporters are light skinned blacks w/ perfect teeth, long straight hair, and authorities on everything from politics to finance to dog grooming. from viewing commercials and watching some of the drama-type programs on television, one could easily conclude that blacks are in the majority in a country w/ a total population of around 275-300 million people. it seems most of hollywood believes that every hospital emergency room has, as its director, a black doctor commanding the ship. the hospital usually has a black hospital administrator and generally a hot shot brilliant surgeon, who is only one step under the Almighty. if not this scenario, then we have the crackerjack detective sgt and his lt, who solve the cases that the fbi and cia have been lack on solving. when the case goes to trial---superior, civil, criminal, common pleas, supreme court---the black judge will usually hear the crackerjack black attorney argue for the alleged criminal, and on and on it goes. those who study sociology and, certainly, those who are looking for material to use in writing a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation have rich ground to turn in this current climate. to me, it has become silly and trite, regardless of the city or region.

Maybe you'd be happier if we went back to using white actors with blackface?

Also to the OP and the others in the thread who haven't yet grasped the whole point of reality tv shows. People watch them because their lives aren't as interesting as the ones portrayed on the show. Nobody is going to watch a show about people doing the same mundane tasks that they themselves do, such as, I don't know, whining on internet forums about too many "coloreds" on TV? Certainly not I should I would want to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,006,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i think i'll watch one of the shows when one of them puts on the profile of america's largest ethnic minority, the mexican population. to me, the 2000 census reported about 42-44 million legal mexican residents in the u.s. and its territories, while about 33 million blacks were reported. since the 2000 census, the mexican population in the u.s. has reportedly mushroomed to over 22% over the 2000 census. currently, the largest official legal miniority in the u.s. happens to be mexican.

interestingly, blacks are portrayed in roughly half of the entertainment shows on television, in commercials, and in the news---good and bad. where is the representation of the largest minority? i have noticed, particularly since obama has been around, that the marketing strategy of america has changed to reflect the light skinned black male and female. suddenly, most major new stations, anchors, and reporters are light skinned blacks w/ perfect teeth, long straight hair, and authorities on everything from politics to finance to dog grooming. from viewing commercials and watching some of the drama-type programs on television, one could easily conclude that blacks are in the majority in a country w/ a total population of around 275-300 million people. it seems most of hollywood believes that every hospital emergency room has, as its director, a black doctor commanding the ship. the hospital usually has a black hospital administrator and generally a hot shot brilliant surgeon, who is only one step under the Almighty. if not this scenario, then we have the crackerjack detective sgt and his lt, who solve the cases that the fbi and cia have been lack on solving. when the case goes to trial---superior, civil, criminal, common pleas, supreme court---the black judge will usually hear the crackerjack black attorney argue for the alleged criminal, and on and on it goes. those who study sociology and, certainly, those who are looking for material to use in writing a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation have rich ground to turn in this current climate. to me, it has become silly and trite, regardless of the city or region.
Funny and true...Asian as well.

From TV, it looks like only white and black live in the U.S., and all the asians and latinos are illegals and can't speak English.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,889,625 times
Thanks to Sheree, Kim, and Nene they give hope to the hood rat that they will eventually screw their way into money and upgrade their status. Love Kandi and Lisa for different reasons. Kandi is SELF MADE and has a big heart. Lisa is my hero through. A business woman with smarts and intellect but never overshadows her man....he's still the boss and she doesn't have to act like she's retarded for him to shine. She supports him unconditionally and there is a lot of love and respect in that relationship.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,055,079 times
Three of the housewives were just on the Jay Leno show doing a celeb jaywalking showdown and man oh man are they stupid.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM

210 posts, read 453,018 times
^Something tells me that's an act. But, in all honesty, I've never even seen them or the show.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM

653 posts, read 1,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Thanks to Sheree, Kim, and Nene they give hope to the hood rat that they will eventually screw their way into money and upgrade their status. Love Kandi and Lisa for different reasons. Kandi is SELF MADE and has a big heart. Lisa is my hero through. A business woman with smarts and intellect but never overshadows her man....he's still the boss and she doesn't have to act like she's retarded for him to shine. She supports him unconditionally and there is a lot of love and respect in that relationship.

What successful business has Lisa spearheaded? To me, it seems she uses Ed to bankroll her fantasy, none of which are remotely successful...clothing line, baby line, real estate. It was hilarious when she was on TV stating that she can pull the weight financially now that Ed will no longer be playing...really Lisa? How so????? Lisa's business acumen leaves much to be desired.

Lisa is always badmouthing her ex and she snagged a young baller (Ed) after a long marriage to Keith Sweat..and she doesn't even have custody of the kids.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,349,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
What successful business has Lisa spearheaded? To me, it seems she uses Ed to bankroll her fantasy, none of which are remotely successful...clothing line, baby line, real estate. It was hilarious when she was on TV stating that she can pull the weight financially now that Ed will no longer be playing...really Lisa? How so????? Lisa's business acumen leaves much to be desired.

Lisa is always badmouthing her ex and she snagged a young baller (Ed) after a long marriage to Keith Sweat..and she doesn't even have custody of the kids.
Thanks for taking the words right out of my mouth. She is hardly different from the other wives. IMO I think Nene and Kandi are the only two that arent chasing dollars. I mean really........Greg isnt exactly a ball player/record executive. And we all know Kandi is self made.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM

45 posts, read 142,922 times
reality TV, isnt........ (magicians aren't really magic either)

Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM

135 posts, read 524,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
All of the women on the housewives show illustrate the stereotype of the place the show is about. Look at Orange County - a bunch of skinny, bleach blonde money-hungry women that all had a bunch of plastic surgery, NJ - a bunch of trashy italian women with bad tempers, NY - arrogant, flashy, but more "sophisticated" out of all of the shows, ATL - 4 African American women and 1 white woman. All exactly like the stereotypes of each place. Besides, if all of these people were "normal" there would be no TV show. If you think this makes ATL look bad, then this show makes all the other places look just as bad too.
On the money, I agree.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM

23 posts, read 68,581 times
I liked the Housewife's of Atlanta. The sad part is the reminder that people are people with or without money. Money just allows you to play out more of the real you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta