Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 20,443 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Maranda. I wanted to know how GSU was like before i attend it? is there anyrhing, i should know, or something like that? i heard that GSU was a very diverse school, i visited it once, and i know it took up half of down town atlanta, so i know the students have a good night life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
It's a really good school, especially if you're a business major b/c you have the city at your hands....The campus is like half of Atlanta, but it's kind of contradictory, b/c you have no campus feel. There are homeless people on campus, and it just seems kinda rough to me in a lot of areas considered "campus". There are a lot of clubs and the AUC and Ga Tech is nearby. The only thing that sucks is Atl clubs close at 2am so it shuts down early... They just built some new dorms, that are really nice, but I don't remember too much b/c I've only been there like twice. Most people rent Apt or townhomes around Atlanta though.... Oh, and the student body is VERY diverse. There are all nationalities present there, and student organizations for all nationalities and groups.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
coolieandre, pretty much hit on the head.

It's right in the middle of downtown so it doesn't have exactly a school feel to it. The homeless folks can get annoying at time but most time, I don't even acknowledge them. I'm in too much of a rush to get to class. LOL.

Most of the folks i know, they attend clubs in North Atlanta etc etc not Downtown. Alot of us go to Atlantic Station too especially for the folks who don't have cars since its so close to the campus.

I love it. Beats the community college that I transferred from....

Oh yea. Expect to walk alot. The buildings are spread out alot. You will get exercise...

If you want to drive, its going to get expensive. As, the slogan goes, Marta is smarter. I just take the train to school. Easier and cheaper. You can't beat $40 a month compared to $100-200 a month for parking even with the early bird special....

Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM

239 posts, read 922,500 times
I agree with both posts above. I graduated from Georgia State in 2005 and had a great experience. As noted, the business school is getting a lot of attention lately - especially the Flex-MBA program. My major was business so most of experience is with the business programs but I have also heard lots of good things about the Policy School and Law Program also.

Also the dorms at GSU are all suite style (private bedrooms with shared common areas).

*** One little known fact about GSU is that it graduates more black students with Bachelors degrees than any other college or university in the country (including HBCUs). ***

If you have any other questions just ask.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,416 times
I agree with everyone! I am a 2002 GSU Grad and it has changed a lot; mainly for the better. It is indeed very diverse, and, even though everything is spread out, there are certain areas, especially the "yard" that have a great campus feeling.

About graduating more blacks? It depends on the field of study because I know in the College of Education we were few and far between!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
I agree with both posts above. I graduated from Georgia State in 2005 and had a great experience. As noted, the business school is getting a lot of attention lately - especially the Flex-MBA program. My major was business so most of experience is with the business programs but I have also heard lots of good things about the Policy School and Law Program also.

Also the dorms at GSU are all suite style (private bedrooms with shared common areas).

*** One little known fact about GSU is that it graduates more black students with Bachelors degrees than any other college or university in the country (including HBCUs). ***

If you have any other questions just ask.
Im not doubting you, but do have a source for that little known fact? Just curious.

If that is true it is something the school should promote more. Its pretty interesting!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 AM

They are in the top 10 for 2005-2006 (#3)

Top 10 producers of bachelor's degrees for African-Americans:
School
FAMU
Howard
Georgia St.
Southern Univ. and A&M
FloridaState
Temple
American Intercontinental Online
N.C. A&T St.
FloridaAtlantic
Tennessee St.

Diverse Top 100 Producers of Minority Degrees 2007 - Undergraduate / Baccalaureate Degrees (http://www.diverseeducation.com/Top100DegreeProducers2007undergraduate.asp - broken link)

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
IAbout graduating more blacks? It depends on the field of study because I know in the College of Education we were few and far between!
I've noticed that too and I'm not even in the program yet...LOL...aww man...

Where is the yard??? Guess I've missed it (I just transferred pretty much)

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the link PK

The top 3 per PK's link:

FAMU ----- 1224
HOWARD -- 1202
GSU ------- 1119

This at least puts Georgia State as #1 NON-HBCU... though I've heard that GSU is now #1 overall (sorry I don't have any hard evidence to support this - just what I've heard). This becomes evident if you've gone to GSU and looked in Panther Place or strolled through the courtyard during the Tues/Thurs break. Sometimes I felt like I did go to an HBCU . I agree this should be publicized more.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
Sometimes I felt like I did go to an HBCU . I agree this should be publicized more.

You ain't never lie...

I know my first week, I had to remember that I had class to get too...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
You ain't never lie...

I know my first week, I had to remember that I had class to get too...
That's so funny because when I was there, the teachers pretty much knew that if their class was after the break most people would be late... assuming that showed up at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta