Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Should MARTA Balance The Budget
Raise Fares To $2.50 (1st rise in 7 years) 28 63.64%
Eliminate All Sunday Service 5 11.36%
Eliminate Saturday And Sunday Service 0 0%
Eliminate All Service After 7 PM 1 2.27%
Other 11 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

It just looks worse and worse for MARTA. Obviously the state is not a position to help them nor is any other government. So we are going to have fare hikes or service cuts and probably both. What do you want to see happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
I ride Marta everyday and I'm not sure how I feel about this. Cutting services primarily means cutting bus routes, primarily affecting the lower income riders. On the other hand, raising fares directly affects the same ridership. Does Marta receive any fare from the GRTA buses who transfer to Marta rail, if not there is a place to receive revenue. I don't see how they can transfer on MARTA from the exburbs and not pay the penny tax. All parking from riders outside of Fulton and Dekalb pay an addtional 10 dollars per month to park or ride, I don't know I'm brainstorming. Please don't hate my ideas until you have left your own ideas up for review.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I ride Marta everyday and I'm not sure how I feel about this. Cutting services primarily means cutting bus routes, primarily affecting the lower income riders. On the other hand, raising fares directly affects the same ridership. Does Marta receive any fare from the GRTA buses who transfer to Marta rail, if not there is a place to receive revenue. I don't see how they can transfer on MARTA from the exburbs and not pay the penny tax. All parking from riders outside of Fulton and Dekalb pay an addtional 10 dollars per month to park or ride, I don't know I'm brainstorming. Please don't hate my ideas until you have left your own ideas up for review.
I don't know how MARTA and the suburban bus services divide up fares. Maybe one gets the fare going one way and they other gets it going back. My kids have always used CCT to MARTA and I do know it is one fare.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM

256 posts, read 750,175 times
Other - demand funding from the state. Not having mass transit for 5 million people funded by the state is absolutely absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It just looks worse and worse for MARTA. Obviously the state is not a position to help them nor is any other government.
Why not?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
A fare increase is reasonable.

Base fares:

New York: $2 but the MTA wants to raise it
Chicago $2.25 and they charge $0.25 for the first transfer
Dallas: $2.50

Other cities are cheaper but they are subsidized by their states. With the lack of support MARTA gets I am surprised fares are not higher already.

Cutting service would be killer. Especially train service as that is a good tourist inducement.

Charging non-Fulton/DeKalb people more for parking is an excellent idea. It will never happen since the suburban counties control MARTA's board.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Well, some of the choices in the poll aren't very practical. I'm not aware of any transit system that doesn't run on Saturdays or after 7pm.

That being said, MARTA needs to switch to a zone fare system, where you pay based on distance traveled. The new Breeze Card tap gate thingies they're using now are actually made to handle this type of system, so you can tap the card as you exit as well as enter. Since a ton of suburbanites ride the trains in during the AM hours, a zone system would put them at about $3.00 or so each way, in line with systems like BART (San Fran), etc. Those only riding a stop or two would pay less than the current fares, etc.

The State would have to start contributing money. The Feds some more money, and the MARTA board would have to have several replacements and be streamlined and redone as it's not run very efficiently.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, some of the choices in the poll aren't very practical. I'm not aware of any transit system that doesn't run on Saturdays or after 7pm.

That being said, MARTA needs to switch to a zone fare system, where you pay based on distance traveled. The new Breeze Card tap gate thingies they're using now are actually made to handle this type of system, so you can tap the card as you exit as well as enter. Since a ton of suburbanites ride the trains in during the AM hours, a zone system would put them at about $3.00 or so each way, in line with systems like BART (San Fran), etc. Those only riding a stop or two would pay less than the current fares, etc.

The State would have to start contributing money. The Feds some more money, and the MARTA board would have to have several replacements and be streamlined and redone as it's not run very efficiently.
+1. A system like this would also help eliminate the bums who "live" on the trains.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Marta corp. sucks, I'd like to se their asses in front of the supreme court justifying a bail out. At the same time, I'd like to see those jack ass senators explain their defiicit while they rail CEO's.

All in all, it sucks for MARTA, just proves my point why I don't want Cobb Tax Payers being liable, CCT seems to be OK.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
MARTA will never go away. It's not a business. It's a federally granted project. Hell even paying for the electricity to run the thing is probably more than what rider fees are.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Marta corp. sucks, I'd like to se their asses in front of the supreme court justifying a bail out. At the same time, I'd like to see those jack ass senators explain their defiicit while they rail CEO's.

All in all, it sucks for MARTA, just proves my point why I don't want Cobb Tax Payers being liable, CCT seems to be OK.
Actually MARTA works exceptionally well considering the circumstances under which it has to operate. The state mandates how MARTA spends its money (50% capital, 50% M&O) while not funding it at all. Its tax base comes from only two counties, while it attracts passengers from the rest of the 18 metro counties who park their cars at satellite stations and ride the train into the city. Despite all of this, they have one of the highest levels of ridership in the country.

The problem is that many in the region turn their back on MARTA which is practically insane. For one, people ought to appreciate the fact that we have a heavy rail system (something that most most cities don't have). And last but no least, having duplicate bus systems in surrounding counties is a gross waste of taxpayer money given the high cost in duplicating services rather than having them administered by one regional body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta