Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM

288 posts, read 959,056 times

Advertisements

Yall are all a bunch of spankwads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Hmm. I see what he's saying now.

So, maybe the people with the real hang-up is not the Southern churchy people who can't see past their next prayer meeting but those who are so uptight about it that they don't dare broach the subject for fear of violating some social faux pas. Or worse, are militantly judgmental about anyone who's benighted enough to go to church in the first place.
Hehehe.

In my case I think it's because I run around at work with people who are not originally from here (either from elsewhere in the US or from outside the US) where such questions are unusual, and I run around at home and in other contexts with people who are somewhat less apt to ask that sort of question than the "average Atlantan" might be.

Spankwad? Heh. Perhaps, depending on the definition.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM

256 posts, read 750,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Actually i was transferred to Atlanta with my company. I actively looked for another job the whole time I was here.

I didn't like the endless driving around from one strip mall to another. I felt the Republican stranglehold on Georgia prevents Atlanta from developing its infrastructure and transportation options. I didn't like being asked "what church I belonged to" everytime I went somewhere. The water crisis isn't going to go away -- again because of underfunded infrastructure and sprawled out subdivisions.
Honestly, all due respect, but I don't know where {Moderator removed} Um - LANGUAGE?? you've been in Atlanta. I've NEVER been asked what church I belonged to. Never. I'm not that religious, but even my religious friends didn't get to ask me what church I went to before they found out I was agnostic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
I have never in 10 years been asked which church i belong to, ever. I have only been asked by friends because they wanted to invite me to theirs so it was a courtesy matter to inquire if im commited elsewhere before they blurted it out.
Exactly. I've never even experienced that much. There is no special importance placed on churches in Atlanta. Church attendance is common in all parts of the country. A lot of people belong to churches to be a part of a community, just like everywhere else in the country.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Don't forget New Orleans. And Charleston. And Savannah. Of course, the last two never developed into great modern cities; they're almost historical cities.
But it's basically right: there is no great modern Southern city, exc. for arguably NO. Or at least, not YET. (I don't think the city is done evolving yet as a historical phenomenon, and I certainly don't think NY/Chicago has the last word on it anyway.)
Correct me if I'm wrong (I might be completely wrong and sound stupid), but isn't Dallas pretty walkable? I know they have a pretty expansive street grid there, similar to a lot of northern cities, but that doesn't necessarily translate into walkability.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-12-2009 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (I might be completely wrong and sound stupid), but isn't Dallas pretty walkable? I know they have a pretty expansive street grid there, similar to a lot of northern cities, but that doesn't necessarily translate into walkability.
Don't know. I'll leave that one to someone who knows Dallas.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Is Dallas walkable? In the core it is, but outside, it's just like any other Sunbelt city (Houston, Atlanta, etc.). Dallas actually doesn't have that great of a street grid (mostly due to topography). Houston has a better street grid.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,520 times
Poor city-planning with no long-term visions. A confusing grid of streets imposed on hilly terrain. A rail system that doesn't serve enough population centers. A slightly interesting city surrounded by most uninteresting suburbs. A populace that is scared of its city center, as there is a dearth of policemen walking-a-beat. A Bible-belt rural mentality in its corrupt state government/legislature. And government enforcement of race quotas on city projects, regardless of who can get the job done best. It's been "doing it all with mirrors" for the past 30 years that I've lived near downtown (Grant Park). I'm surprised that the decline took this long, to be honest. It's all over.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
This crap thread was certainly worth bumping. Good thinking champ.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
^^^ Hahahaha.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumidCity View Post
Poor city-planning with no long-term visions. A confusing grid of streets imposed on hilly terrain. A rail system that doesn't serve enough population centers. A slightly interesting city surrounded by most uninteresting suburbs. A populace that is scared of its city center, as there is a dearth of policemen walking-a-beat. A Bible-belt rural mentality in its corrupt state government/legislature. And government enforcement of race quotas on city projects, regardless of who can get the job done best. It's been "doing it all with mirrors" for the past 30 years that I've lived near downtown (Grant Park). I'm surprised that the decline took this long, to be honest. It's all over.
Have to agree with you here. It's like Atlanta does not care to be urban at all. Just wants to build strip mall after strip mall after strip mall. It's insanity to have strip malls 1 mile outside of the urban core.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I think the biggest thing that led to the decline of Atlanta is that it was a city mostly made of transplants and when the jobs dried up, people had no real reason to stay here because they only moved here for work and left their families and friends behind. So instead of looking for new jobs in Atlanta, they just went back to wherever they were from.

I also think that the killing of Buckhead Village and the loss of much of the midtown nightlife scene to condo development made Atlanta a much less sexy place for young college grads to want to relocate to.

It is also true that the place is too darn spread out. I don't really care if the suburbs expand out, but it is kind of a big issue that there are many job centers around town. That makes it really hard for a lot of people where husbands and wives both have jobs. If one works downtown and one works in Alpharetta, or one works in Vinings and the other in Duluth, it's hard to live somewhere that is convenient for both people.

But the biggest thing is the job market dried up and a lot of people didn't put roots down here deep enough to stay and weather the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta