Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I'm smelling some bitterness.....
It's the truth. Atlanta is the major engine is this state. It's the only major city in this state. Most of the larger states have multiple major population centers(i.e. Texas, California, Florida).

Last edited by Ant131531; 10-16-2012 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
The amount of fail within this thread is off the charts and almost on the same level of fail that the Relationships or Political forums are at.

Keep it coming! It's entertaining.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
They also don't have major traffic issues, multiple events going on within or around the city, the world's most busiest airport, or hold 5/8 of the state's population. There's a reason Atlanta should come first. Transit would go a long way for Atlanta and those living in or around it.

If those other cities had MASSIVE traffic issues, I could understand, but they don't. They for the most part have the infrastructure to handle their relatively small populations. Atlanta does not.

Oh so you mean like D.C.,LA,or Chicago?Those cities have been found to have worse traffic issues than Atlanta.
Where is most of the tax money coming from? The Atlanta area or those other smaller cities? Who generates the vast majority of the state's GDP? Atlanta or those other smaller cities? What would Georgia be without Atlanta? Just another Alabama or Mississippi.
Why wouldnt it be just another Illinois? New Mexico?Arizona?Delaware?Indiana?Virginia?or even Florida?
You obviously have never spent much time outside of the Atlanta metro.
Soon as u drive in those states u mentioned you see terrible infrastructure,more poverty and an obvious different tone in educational achievement.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why wouldnt it be just another Illinois? New Mexico?Arizona?Delaware?Indiana?Virginia?or even Florida?
You obviously have never spent much time outside of the Atlanta metro.
Soon as u drive in those states u mentioned you see terrible infrastructure,more poverty and an obvious different tone in educational achievement.
Wow, so obviously, you didn't understand the context of my quote which really invalidates just about everything you just said. I was mentioning how Atlanta should take priority over the other smaller mid-size cities in Georgia and that if Atlanta wasn't nearly as large as it is now, it would just be another Alabama or Mississippi.

Don't give me that **** that I never spent time outside of the Atlanta metro. I know other cities have traffic, but they also have WIDESPREAD transit so you don't have to deal with that bull****. I lived in LA for 12 years and have been to many of the major cities around this country and even been to big cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, and other asian cities. I've most likely been to more places then you ever have in you lifetime, not only limiting to the united states.

And California's infrastructure is 10x as great as Atlanta. It's obvious YOU have never spent time outside of Atlanta and continue boosting it like it's the best city this country has to offer, yet the majority of people around the world don't even god damn know what Atlanta is other then it's large airport. Most people know L.A. or New York.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Sorry if anyone takes offense to my post, but I'm tired of the assumptions some of these poster on these forums attempt to make. It pisses me off.

Stop treating Atlanta like it's king of this country. It has many, many problems it has to fix.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Wow, so obviously, you didn't understand the context of my quote which really invalidates just about everything you just said. I was mentioning how Atlanta should take priority over the other smaller mid-size cities in Georgia and that if Atlanta wasn't nearly as large as it is now, it would just be another Alabama or Mississippi.

Don't give me that **** that I never spent time outside of the Atlanta metro. I know other cities have traffic, but they also have WIDESPREAD transit so you don't have to deal with that bull****. I lived in LA for 12 years and have been to many of the major cities around this country and even been to big cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, and other asian cities. I've most likely been to more places then you ever have in you lifetime, not only limiting to the united states.

And California's infrastructure is 10x as great as Atlanta. It's obvious YOU have never spent time outside of Atlanta and continue boosting it like it's the best city this country has to offer, yet the majority of people around the world don't even god damn know what Atlanta is other then it's large airport. Most people know L.A. or New York.
Excuse me,it is you that did not understand my point.
I grew up until I was 17 in South Georgia.My parents moved to the Southern suburbs of Atlanta.Im sure I know Georgia better than you.Now about your ridiculous statement.I was referring to you can't have ever really spent much time outside of metro Atlanta in the rest of GEORGIA based on your statements previously.

Why you chose to further go on about how you have likely been more places than I is yours to own alone.One look at my name would be a good guess by most that I was probably in the Air Force at sometime.Military does not tend to stay in one place. Outside of the fact that even before I went with my family on many world vacations.

I mentioned LA and other and CA because it BROKE.It still has much more traffc congestion than Atlanta has ever had,and most agree its public transport is lacking for a city it size.YET..YOU complain about what Atlanta needs because of this and that.
I accept flaws and you obviously have never read my post about my favorite cities and what about them I wish Atlanta had.Don't try yo paint me anything but accurate and balanced.Something YOU are lacking.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry if anyone takes offense to my post, but I'm tired of the assumptions some of these poster on these forums attempt to make. It pisses me off.

Stop treating Atlanta like it's king of this country. It has many, many problems it has to fix.
please get a grip.I never even inferred that it did not, so move on.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 PM

Can we be honest for a second?Some of you are throwing everything in the pot because its fits your arguments. Yet very little is really accurate or even true.

The TSPLOST failed not only in Georgia but in much of Atlanta.In the areas
It failed by a wider margin in the Atlanta area than anywhere else in the state.
It passed in the area i was raised(middle Georgia)

In the Atlanta District it failed 63% to 37%.
In the NW Georgia District it failed 68% to 32%.
In the Georgia Mountains District it failed 75% to 25%.
In the NE Georgia District it failed 65% to 35%.
In the Three Rivers District it failed 69% to 31%.
In the Middle Georgia District it failed 56% to 44%.
In the Central Savannah River District it passed 54% to 46%.
In the River Valley District it passed 54% to 46%.
In the Heart of Georgia District it passed 52% to 48%.
In the SW Georgia District it failed 57% to 43%.
In the Southern Georgia District it failed 58% to 42%.
In the Coastal Georgia District it failed 52% to 48%.

Governors for the most part have supported Atlanta even though some of their rural party constituents in the state house have not.
Next thing is that as much as I dislike Gov.Deal,he gave it his full support.Not to mentioned his corporation with the Mayor on other issues in Atlanta.

Perdue was the only mayor in recent times that has done thing to hinder Atlanta.Before him it was Gov.Roy Barnes who was FROM the ATLANTA. He created GRTA and was a fan of high speed rail.As soon as Perdue came in,he cut it and changed what it was meant to be.

Zell Miller was also not at odds with the city of Atlanta.He was key in helping to secure the Olympics and various infrastructure projects.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Excuse me,it is you that did not understand my point.
I grew up until I was 17 in South Georgia.My parents moved to the Southern suburbs of Atlanta.Im sure I know Georgia better than you.Now about your ridiculous statement.I was referring to you can't have ever really spent much time outside of metro Atlanta in the rest of GEORGIA based on your statements previously.

Why you chose to further go on about how you have likely been more places than I is yours to own alone.One look at my name would be a good guess by most that I was probably in the Air Force at sometime.Military does not tend to stay in one place. Outside of the fact that even before I went with my family on many world vacations.

I mentioned LA and other and CA because it BROKE.It still has much more traffc congestion than Atlanta has ever had,and most agree its public transport is lacking for a city it size.YET..YOU complain about what Atlanta needs because of this and that.
I accept flaws and you obviously have never read my post about my favorite cities and what about them I wish Atlanta had.Don't try yo paint me anything but accurate and balanced.Something YOU are lacking.
I take bi-weekend trips around Georgia so I know what it's like outside of Atlanta in the state of Georgia. I have been to Savannah, Macon, Augusta, and the North Georgia mountains. I have traveled through Valdosta to take trips to Orlando and Miami. What point are you trying to get at?

At least LA has commuter rail, something Atlanta wishes it had. It's rail goes across the the region and you can take rail from Culver City through LA Union Station to the Inland Empire to Orange County to Oceanside and transfer to ANOTHER rail that can eventually take you to San Diego. 50 miles across and 75 miles north to south. How do I know? That's what I used on my trip in LA at the beginning of August that just passed. Their transit FAR reaches Atlanta as far as distance. I'll give it to Atlanta though because of the heavy rail versus the light rail system, but it barely goes past 285 so it's almost meaningless to those outside the perimeter. And what do you expect? The LA CSA has roughly 18-19 million people. It's bound to have traffic snarl.

LA region is 10x as dense and walkable as Atlanta even in the suburbs. The bus systems are incredibly extensive and take up just about every major avenue.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I look at it this way:Atlanta has flourished since the 1960's.So how does all of a sudden ,today,that the state of Georgia has all this "power" to stop from doing so now?
Because the challenges are quite different now that Atlanta is of a certain size. And it's not that the state is going to "stop" Atlanta, but it has significantly hampered it from reaching its fullest potential.

Quote:
GA is not regressive but it is not nearly as progressive as Atlanta.The only reason people call GA regressive is because of lack of public transportation.
The failure of the state to fund MARTA is simply symptomatic of a larger problem. The state doesn't really know what to do with Atlanta because it didn't play a major role in Atlanta's ascendancy over the years.

Quote:
I see it being excuse in other places especially outside of the South.
South Carolina ,Mississippi ,Tennessee are 3 states off the top of my head that seem to be quite regressive.
A regressive state is a state where you dont see minorities in major statewide elected positions.Or a does not have a few municipalities that offer domestic partner benefits.
How can Georgia be so regressive if a city like Savannah and Brunswick are spending millions to continues to ugradr its .Augusta has an influx of infrastructure projects regarding its highways and downtown area plus all the huge jobs centers that have come like the 4000 NSA jobs.
None of those things are especially characteristic of progressive states as they have little to do with actual state policy (road construction excepted). I'm not saying Georgia is the worst of the pack in this regard, but it's not nearly as progressive as it should be with a major metro like Atlanta doing the vast majority of the heavy lifting in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta