Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta became a large city simply because of where it is positioned.
Go read Mutiny 77's post above. Geography played an important role, yes, but that is not the only factor by a long shot. You lack a good comprehensive understanding of the history of this city and Mutiny's post is a good primer. Start with it and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Atlanta,New Orleans,Jacksonville,Birmingham were all roughly the same size.Atlanta out grew them all for 2 main reasons:
1)Civil rights.Atlanta and its leaders were more concerned about business than racial politics that plagued the other cities.Why do you think that a person like Martin Luther King could grow up in an area like Sweet Auburn?

2)The airport. Hartsfield from the mayor who created it to Mayor Jackson you expanded it ,made Atlanta take off from being neck and neck with the others.

People stood up and demanded more than what they had because they saw the potential.
Read about these people .They shaped Atlanta in every way.

Henry W.Grady(New South)
Ivan Allen(Only mayor from the South that testifed in froont of Congress in favor of passing the Civil Rights Act of 1962)
William B.Hartsfield
Maynard Jackson
John Wesley Dobbs
Margaret Mitchell
Joel Chandler Harris
Asa Candler
Robert Woodruff
Alphonso Herndon

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM

262 posts, read 789,725 times
Ant, not every region is suitable for everyone. West coast, Northeast, Midwest, Southeast -- I think some people will have a natural affinity for one region over another. If you like density, sunbelt is definitely not it.

Americans Who Like Where They Live Are in Better Health

My feeling about Atlanta and Southeast is that it is an is that it is an OK metro, in an average region, and comes at a reasonable cost. If you feel you deserve better than that, you have to look elsewhere. If cities are your thing,
I suppose the northeast. If weather and lifestyle are your thing, California.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
That's how most large cities work. What is your point?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes,my point exactly.Coca-Cola was created and sold first in Columbus,Aflac,Synovus, TSYS;W.C.BradleyCharbroil and a huge Fort Benning are there today.Imagine what it would be
Funny that RC or Royal Crown Cola also started in Columbus but hasn't fared as well over time. Guess Columbus hasn't played its cards right. Not much of an inland port and has poor connections to the interstates.

Quote:
Georgia cities are just now or in the last 5 years concentrating on growth and improvement of their cores.I suspect that if they had the leadership that Atlanta has had,they would be further along.Again like others have said,those cities would be more because Atlanta would not be in the picture.
In some cases it has to do with gnats. It might not be coincidence that Columbus, Macon, and Augusta are along the Fall Line.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I agree with your history lesson of Atlanta and why it is what it is. The point I was making is if Atlanta never happened, then some of the ingenuity would have happened elsewhere. Henry grady wouldn't have ceased to exist without Atlanta, he would have made an impact elsewhere, same for the Candlers, Woodruffs, Allens and others that have helped Atlanta to be what it is.
Certainly all of those individuals would have existed and probably would have exerted influence elsewhere if Atlanta had not existed, but there's nothing to say that it would be in another Georgia city.

Quote:
The collective experience did aid momentum, no doubt about it, but if Atlanta had never come to be, my point is the great state of Georgia would have risen above its neighbors anyway.
I don't see how that could be said conclusively. There are wayyy too many factors at play for that to be a given.

Quote:
It would look different, yes, but Atlanta is a great city because of Georgia.
Atlanta is a great city primarily because of Atlanta. Had the state of Georgia historically played a more active role in the development and growth of its cities, Atlanta wouldn't be the only game in the state.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Georgia cities are just now or in the last 5 years concentrating on growth and improvement of their cores.I suspect that if they had the leadership that Atlanta has had,they would be further along.Again like others have said,those cities would be more because Atlanta would not be in the picture.
Certainly if they had Atlanta's leadership, they would be further along but I don't see how Atlanta's absence would automatically benefit them. It's not like companies and most people that move to Atlanta are also considering Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
In some cases it has to do with gnats. It might not be coincidence that Columbus, Macon, and Augusta are along the Fall Line.
As are Columbia and, more notably, Raleigh and Richmond, and all are further along than Augusta, Macon, and Columbus. I know the former cities are state capitals, but Montgomery, another fall line city, is also and it's pretty much in the same boat as the Georgia fall line cities so that's not really a factor.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,058 times
Metro atlanta is the 8th largest as if 2013..

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,058 times
No thats not the the problem atlantas bordered by the gulf of mexico and the atlantic and recieves plenty of rain that was just something of a 500 year event fact...

Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 PM

125 posts, read 232,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Or:
This is pretty accurate. I know people who have moved during the past year to Raleigh, Denver, Dallas and part of Virginia from Atlanta. All have moved because of a job offer. Either Atlanta's becoming more of a transient city or the job opportunities are elsewhere. There are a lot of people right now who are kind of stuck in their current career so applying out-of-state increases their chances of advancing. I know people who moved and still talk about wanting to move back to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta