Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,961,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704rep View Post
Actually those who say Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte are wrong! Charlotte has twice the urban population of Atlanta. In a way Atlanta sort of cheats accepting the small towns and counties out side of the city to be Atlanta when it is actually not!! Yes Atlanta is a bigger tourist attraction and overall a more important city than Charlotte it is still considerably a much smaller city than Charlotte! So pleasse get your facts straight. And I do have sources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uh oh. They have sources.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

997 posts, read 4,632,207 times
I've lived in both. I think you can't compare the cities in terms of population, imo. Charlotte is more spread out where areas that have a Charlotte address are really suburban. Example: South Charlotte etc. To me its a suburb and shouldn't be classified in the "city" population just like the metro shouldn't be considered part of Atl's. Take both these out I think Atl is still larger.

I'm not bashing Charlotte. It's a nice place. Different than Atl. They both have their pros and cons. It's just a matter of what someone is looking for and suits them best.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM

631 posts, read 1,222,546 times
Quote:
Actually those who say Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte are wrong! Charlotte has twice the urban population of Atlanta. In a way Atlanta sort of cheats accepting the small towns and counties out side of the city to be Atlanta when it is actually not!! Yes Atlanta is a bigger tourist attraction and overall a more important city than Charlotte it is still considerably a much smaller city than Charlotte! So pleasse get your facts straight. And I do have sources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol are you serious !!!! This doesn't even deserve to be debated

Old 01-12-2010, 03:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Actually these are the facts:

Atlanta Urban Population: 3.5 million Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charlotte Total Metro Population: 1.7 million Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now how is it that Charlotte has "twice the urban population of Atlanta"??? Surely you aren't talking about the city limits population, as that is an arbitrary number within totally arbitrary boundaries.

The urban area population of Atlanta is twice as large as the total metro population of Charlotte. The total metro population of Atlanta is more than 3 times the total metro population of Charlotte. Atlanta doesn't "cheat" in any way...the Census Bureau sets the metro boundaries of Atlanta, Charlotte, and every other U.S. metropolitan area - Atlanta has nothing to do with it...the small suburban towns are included in the Metro area of Atlanta just like they are in Charlotte (Albemarle, Mooresville, Lincolnton, etc).

I really like Charlotte and have spent a lot of time there...but there is no reason to make silly claims about the city.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM

57 posts, read 142,895 times
I am jealous of your light rail...

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,932 times
what the HECK you been smokin mexico city has like 27 million people the A will never get that big. NUFF SAID.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,675,980 times
Charlotte's Urban-LIKE AREA is a BLIP. PERIOD. I am in Charlotte often.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,974,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncallday View Post
what the HECK you been smokin mexico city has like 27 million people the A will never get that big. NUFF SAID.
That's probably a good thing. 27 million people is a lot.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
ATl people how do you really feel about Charlotte??
Fine, you caught me. I secretly hate Charlotte. Every morning when I wake up I write down ten things Atlanta does better than Charlotte which include but are not limited to:
skylines
public transit
airports
rap
taking a street name and running with it
existing

Charlotte is the bane of my existance.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM

10,732 posts, read 13,267,526 times
In my opinion, Charlotte is a very nice city with beautiful residential areas, a nice downtown and friendly people. It's surrounding areas are generally very pretty as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta