Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 AM

265 posts, read 329,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Where Atlanta got an early head start on Charlotte, Charlotte is starting to get some traction and it is pretty much behind everyone else in terms of development, amenities, etc.!
Who is "everyone else"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,971,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Who is "everyone else"?
I guess you can say Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, Phoenix, etc., cities, that Charlotte can reasonably catch up to within the next 15-20 years!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 PM

265 posts, read 329,833 times
Quote:
I guess you can say Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, Phoenix, etc., cities, that Charlotte can reasonably catch up to within the next 15-20 years!
Well that's stating the obvious. Of course Charlotte is behind other cities that are larger, but that's not literally "everyone else!"

I think Charlotte ranks rather favorably when compared with other cities across the South. If one includes the states of Texas and Florida, then the undisputed top dogs are Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami. After that comes cities like Tampa, Austin, San Antonio, Orlando, Norfolk, Nashville, and, yes, Charlotte. Considering that there are lots of smaller cities below these two groupings, I wouldn't say that Charlotte is behind "everyone else." Choose your words carefully!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Well that's stating the obvious. Of course Charlotte is behind other cities that are larger, but that's not literally "everyone else!"

I think Charlotte ranks rather favorably when compared with other cities across the South. If one includes the states of Texas and Florida, then the undisputed top dogs are Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami. After that comes cities like Tampa, Austin, San Antonio, Orlando, Norfolk, Nashville, and, yes, Charlotte. Considering that there are lots of smaller cities below these two groupings, I wouldn't say that Charlotte is behind "everyone else." Choose your words carefully!
Those were the words that came to mind when I posted, I probably should have said established cities or cities that Charlotte aspires to be in the same league with! And I do agree with you in that compared to other similar sized cities, Charlotte does rank favorably or better than!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Hey Charlotte Boosters, the rest of NC wants Charlotte to succeed and become a big city. Calm down. Great cities speak for themselves, you don't have to defend the Queen city all the time.

Raleigh doesn't even participate in these discussions, it's not trying to be anything other than the laid back, college town and capital. It's an overgrown country town, the perfect capital for NC.

The whole Atlanta vs. Charlotte comparison is only known to Charlotteans. Atlanta has compared itself to Los Angeles for at least 20 years, because that's Atlanta's desired next level of recognition. I moved to LA in 1996 and quickly realized I was in a world city, another league all together.

Charlotte and all of NC seem plagued with a small-town feel. I've never lived in Charlotte, but I do know that Atlanta is truly a big city, with anonymous monster traffic 24/7, multiple area codes, and 75 miles across of solid suburbs.

Charlotte should be proud of its elegant skyline, I'll be the first to admit that Atlanta's skyscrapers are by themselves, full of meaningless motifs and borderline tacky. None are as spectacular as the BofA Tower, the Hearst Tower or the new Duke Energy masterpiece.
Ill take 1180 peachtree

191 Peachtree

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2598/2/92/22608885/n22608885_35658828_2119419.jpg (broken link)

Not to mention I would take even just Midtown Atlantas Skyline over Charlotte's entire one,anyday.

You have your opinion ,but to say NONE or as Spectacular as those buildings you mention is a bit of a stretch

No body wants to be L.A.Not that L.A. is bad but...um..NO.If anything New York is what so many people in this city would make references too although admittedly the ATL is closer to the L.A.model.

But I think people are beginning to realize that Atlanta is becoming a "model" itself.There are not major large cities that are built like Atlanta.In not that it is and has become way more dense,the type of neighborhoods and housing stock within the close confines of it interior is kind of unique.Charlotte will forever be in the Atlanta model because of the similarities in growth patterns.Atlanta has certainly made some mistakes that Charlotte will definitely benefit for,but the decisions like the Beltline,Atlantic Station,Marta,The Airport are all huge decisions that will in the future be looked back on as phenomenal undertakings because it added to the vitality of the cities continuing prominence on the world stage

Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ill take 1180 peachtree

191 Peachtree

Not to mention I would take even just Midtown Atlantas Skyline over Charlotte's entire one,anyday.

You have your opinion ,but to say NONE or as Spectacular as those buildings you mention is a bit of a stretch

No body wants to be L.A.Not that L.A. is bad but...um..NO.If anything New York is what so many people in this city would make references too although admittedly the ATL is closer to the L.A.model.

But I think people are beginning to realize that Atlanta is becoming a "model" itself.There are not major large cities that are built like Atlanta.In not that it is and has become way more dense,the type of neighborhoods and housing stock within the close confines of it interior is kind of unique.Charlotte will forever be in the Atlanta model because of the similarities in growth patterns.Atlanta has certainly made some mistakes that Charlotte will definitely benefit for,but the decisions like the Beltline,Atlantic Station,Marta,The Airport are all huge decisions that will in the future be looked back on as phenomenal undertakings because it added to the vitality of the cities continuing prominence on the world stage
You are so right! FWIW, Atlanta really is the standard for the rest of the fast-growing cities in the south, excluding Texas and Florida cities! Of course, each city is doing their own thing, however, it is only natural to measure their success and see how it measures up to Atlanta b/c Atlanta really has set a pretty high bar, almost like a sibling thing, where the younger sibling usually measures their sucesses to that of their older sibling(s)! Charlotte is doing an excellent job in their growth and development, I'm amazed at the strides it has made in the last 10 years, and I'm certain the next 10 years are going to be even more phenonemal!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Yes atlanta is big, as is the airport, aquarium, dome, etc. atlanta is the one real city of the south and is centrally located as if it belongs to all surrounding states, not just Georgia.

Atlanta's size is partly due to this role of being the one mecca for the southeast, where countless have flocked for decades chasing whatever jobs or dreams they're after.

But, considering that Georgia threw all its eggs in this one basket, metro Atlanta is very lacking, rough around the edges, and primitive. NC probably has 5 times more interstates/highways per capita than Georgia, close enough to use regularly

City and state governing bodies operate at basic level leaving Georgia, its populace, and its future without the conscientious oversight and stewardship enjoyed by North Carolina.

North Carolina doesn't favor its cities, neglecting the rest. Every square mile across the state is valued equally, as together they comprise the east coast's most revered state, if only by its citizens.
Absolutely wrong.

Savannah,Augusta(1733&1735) are both older than Atlanta and at one point were the most important cities in Georgia.Both were former state capitals.Savannah the cotton capital of the world when cotton was king.

Atlanta came along much later(1837).The railroads made Atlanta.Then the airport.After Atlanta was burned during the civil war.The federal government had to rebuild.After the demise of the agrarian nature of the Southern economies.Georgias former power house cities fell.Atlanta,Birmingham were just a few Southern cities that had a strong northern type of manufacturing base.Agriculture was not the dominant means for growth of the city.thats why the Battle of Atlanta was so important in the ending of the Civil War.It was a major contributer to the production of weapons,gunpowder etc.

That growth of rebuilding along with Atlanta railroads being the hub for the entire South,led to rapid growth during reconstruction through today.Atlanta funds its own transportation(MARTA),runs the Airport(for now) and pretty much operates as an autocratic community.The state of Georgia is not really responsible for Atlanta being what it is.

None of Georgia's cities never had desire until I say in the last 10-20 years to to become.Augusta and Savannah are the main ones.Columbus is trying as well ,but seems somewhat behind mainly because of its location.

It should also be noted that the State of Georgia has spent millions in Savannah.The airport,the shipping port(also the port of Brunswick) and the interstates and roads in Augusta.

Savannah Ports have been constantly widened and dredged for over 20-30 years.Thats why they are booming now

Even in Macon the state tried moving many of it offices their.They built various state museums that are located downtown Macon.

North Carolina does not have one major shipping port.No major city in its coast.
The gdp of GA and NC today almost identical.From 1992 Up until 2006 Georgia's was more than a 20billion more than NC.

While the GDp was dwn in Atlanta it.It has steadily grown in Savannah,Augusta,Columbus,Warner Robins,Athens etc...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM

21 posts, read 58,786 times
I've thought about moving there....lots of young professionals. Have several friends that have re-lo'd there and they love it. One manages a pretty neat sports bar there and they have some nice night life with a more relaxed feeling than Atlanta....but therein lies the rub. I've been relaxed for seven years NORTH of the ATL so I am really interested in seeing how living ITP will change my perspective on Atlanta. Also, I love the ability to travel so easily with the Atlanta the hub for so many places.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,128 times
Quote:
Yes atlanta is big, as is the airport, aquarium, dome, etc. atlanta is the one real city of the south and is centrally located as if it belongs to all surrounding states, not just Georgia.

Atlanta's size is partly due to this role of being the one mecca for the southeast, where countless have flocked for decades chasing whatever jobs or dreams they're after.

But, considering that Georgia threw all its eggs in this one basket, metro Atlanta is very lacking, rough around the edges, and primitive. NC probably has 5 times more interstates/highways per capita than Georgia, close enough to use regularly

City and state governing bodies operate at basic level leaving Georgia, its populace, and its future without the conscientious oversight and stewardship enjoyed by North Carolina.

North Carolina doesn't favor its cities, neglecting the rest. Every square mile across the state is valued equally, as together they comprise the east coast's most revered state, if only by its citizens.

This is how does Atlanta feel about Charlotte not NC vs GA

Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,128 times
Quote:
I agree with you! What a lot of people need to understand is that Charlotte is kind of late in the game sort of speak! Where Atlanta got an early head start on Charlotte, Charlotte is starting to get some traction and it is pretty much behind everyone else in terms of development, amenities, etc.! I am under the belief that in time, Charlotte will definately get there, every place got to get a start somewhere! Atlanta was in the same boat 30 years ago, but most people aren't going to care about that, they just look at the here and now, so in time, Charlotte will get the same prestige and acclaim that Atlanta currently enjoys now!

Right I agree with you also. Charlotte has come along way from its past also. Trust Atlanta is lacking too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta