Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,037,821 times

Advertisements

No I do not think Southpark comes close to Beverly Hills however I do think that Charlotte is dissed alot by ATL posters but shown alot of love by other posters from other major cities. I happen to be blessed to have lived in both Charlotte and Atlanta and let me say that both cities are wonderful. They are my 2 favorite cities that I have been to in the U.S.(outside of New York and Chicago of course)!! Charlotte has alot to offer when compared to citys a tier above it. of course Atlanta is gonna offer more of these things in quantity, but that does not mean Charlotte does not have anything. Charlotte is by no means a hick town. if you guys were really honest with yourselves you would recognize that Charlotte happens to be in the unique situation where it actually being compared to other more established big league cities thanks to busineess and amenities but yet does not have the population yet of the other big league cities. Its like having big-league positives without having big-league negatives. This should seem EERILY Similar Atlanta natives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 PM

969 posts, read 1,950,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
No I do not think Southpark comes close to Beverly Hills however I do think that Charlotte is dissed alot by ATL posters but shown alot of love by other posters from other major cities. I happen to be blessed to have lived in both Charlotte and Atlanta and let me say that both cities are wonderful. They are my 2 favorite cities that I have been to in the U.S.(outside of New York and Chicago of course)!! Charlotte has alot to offer when compared to citys a tier above it. of course Atlanta is gonna offer more of these things in quantity, but that does not mean Charlotte does not have anything. Charlotte is by no means a hick town. if you guys were really honest with yourselves you would recognize that Charlotte happens to be in the unique situation where it actually being compared to other more established big league cities thanks to busineess and amenities but yet does not have the population yet of the other big league cities. Its like having big-league positives without having big-league negatives. This should seem EERILY Similar Atlanta natives
Nobody is dissing Charlotte in the way you are implying. Charlotte is not for everyone. I found it to be too sterile, corporate, and cookie-cutter for my tastes and I prefer Atlanta. Sorry, but none of your "facts" are going to change my mind or anyone else who prefers Atlanta over Charlotte. People have different tastes, that's all.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM

265 posts, read 327,762 times
Quote:
however I do think that Charlotte is dissed alot by ATL posters but shown alot of love by other posters from other major cities.
Sometimes it's because of threads like these which honestly serve no purpose. Other times it simply boils down to preference, and much of that is a function of size. It is what it is.

Quote:
if you guys were really honest with yourselves you would recognize that Charlotte happens to be in the unique situation where it actually being compared to other more established big league cities thanks to busineess and amenities but yet does not have the population yet of the other big league cities.
If you think that's unique to Charlotte, then I would recommend visiting some other growing mid-sized cities throughout this wonderful nation of ours. Other cities like Nashville, Orlando, Baltimore, Tampa, Austin, San Antonio, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, etc. are in the same situation.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Uhm Meckleburg county has 920,000 people in 530 sq miles. Fulton County has 1,000,000 people in 526 sqmiles. Also Charlottes counted msa is only 3,000 sq miles while Atlantas is over 8,0000. Nobodys cryin MikeandIke just levelin the playin field!!!!
Oh geez.

First off you are assuming a little too much just because the square mileage of Mecklenburg and Fulton counties is similar. First off, the reason why they are those sizes is different.

Mecklenburg is wide and round shaped.

Fulton is long and skinny in the middle.

I'm not sure of the population distribution in Mecklenburg county, but 97% of the people in Fulton County live in the city of Atlanta and the North Fulton suburbs with 60% of the 1,000,000 people living in the city of Atlanta. The majority of southern portion of the county is not even developed. I'm talking completely rural and this area covers about 200 square miles. There are probably less than 20,000 people living there. Since we are talking "what ifs", if Fulton county was the same dimensions of Mecklenburg it would take up a big chunk of Dekalb, Cobb and Gwinnett county and probably have close to 2 million people.

But let's go back to this 100 mile radius thing. There is actually a website where you can find such information (FreeDemographics.com [1.4.18543]). They stop the population count at a radius 95.5 miles, or about 30,000 square miles, but we can truly see the different dynamics at play. I'll set the radius at 10, 30, and 95.5 miles. Each of the below is centered roughly in each city's downtown. Unfortunately this data is based on the 2000 census, so we can't see how it is today until next year, but you'll get a general idea of just how many people live in each respective area at these points.

Charlotte first (remember as of the 2000 Cenus):

10 miles radius from Uptown: 529,325
30 miles radius from Uptown: 1,447,101
95.5 miles radius from Uptown: 5,801,088

Atlanta (remember as of the 2000 census)

10 miles radius from Downtown: 869,937
30 miles radius from Downtown: 3,459,397
95.5 miles radius from Downtown: 6,365,813

Now, since this was just thrown together, I can not get the full scope of Charlotte at the 10 miles range as I did not compensate for it's development, we can already see that just the area inside I-285 in Atlanta which includes the city of Atlanta, Decatur, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, Chamblee, Doraville and a few unincorporated inner suburbs (and half of Dekalb county) was already near 900,000 people 10 years ago and by all estimates is close to 1.2 million today. That's roughly 300 square miles or the size of the city of Charlotte by itself but with 500,000 or so more people today.

Going 30 miles out you get most of Charlotte's MSA and about all of Atlanta's urban area. Already you can already see that Atlanta already has more than double the amount of people int he same space. In that same area for Atlanta in 2010, the population has grown by an estimated 1 million people.

Now for this mythical 100 mile radius position, while I was not able to get it exactly at a radius of 100 miles I highly doubt extended that radius a mere 4.5 miles would change much. As you can see above, Atlanta is still larger than a similar area around Charlotte (and since 2000 this area around Atlanta has gained probably 2 to 2.5 million people) and keeps the radius mostly in North Georgia with only a sliver of Alabama and southern Tennessee. The 100 mile radius around Charlotte as you can see takes up the northern 1/3 of South Carolina, all of the NC Piedmont and Blue Ridge and takes a sliver into Virginia. And, as I said before, the 100 mile area around Atlanta includes a single major city while the same radius around Charlotte includes two large MSAs and 4 others.

So, as everyone has been trying to say, when "level the playing field", Charlotte is still has a much smaller population than Atlanta. This should not even be up for debate.

Can we kill this now?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,037,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Sometimes it's because of threads like these which honestly serve no purpose. Other times it simply boils down to preference, and much of that is a function of size. It is what it is.

If you think that's unique to Charlotte, then I would recommend visiting some other growing mid-sized cities throughout this wonderful nation of ours. Other cities like Nashville, Orlando, Baltimore, Tampa, Austin, San Antonio, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, etc. are in the same situation.
I have been to each one of these cities none of them honestly to me offer everything that Charlotte offers(except maybe San Antonio,without NFl).My reasoning for starting this thread was not to see which city was better but how do ATL natives feel about Charlotte being in the same position it was a couple of years ago(15-30).

Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
QC dreamin, please stop. You're not giving Charlotte a good name here (and it looks like you don't even live here!). Thankfully, I'm more than certain they know that you're the exception here, not the norm. Charlotte has much to offer, and none of the Atlantans have denied that as you claim. However Atlanta is simply in another league and I think you know that.

Thank you voice of reasoning this thread was going fine until she or he steped in as usually

Old 09-17-2010, 03:25 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,825,933 times
Quote:
I have been to each one of these cities none of them honestly to me offer everything that Charlotte offers(except maybe San Antonio,without NFl).My reasoning for starting this thread was not to see which city was better but how do ATL natives feel about Charlotte being in the same position it was a couple of years ago(15-30).

Why do you need to know how we feel about Charlotte.. If we were concerned WE would make threads in Charlotte about how we feel about the place. The posters are the least concerned about your region.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,897,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

But let's go back to this 100 mile radius thing. There is actually a website where you can find such information (FreeDemographics.com [1.4.18543]). They stop the population count at a radius 95.5 miles, or about 30,000 square miles, but we can truly see the different dynamics at play. I'll set the radius at 10, 30, and 95.5 miles. Each of the below is centered roughly in each city's downtown. Unfortunately this data is based on the 2000 census, so we can't see how it is today until next year, but you'll get a general idea of just how many people live in each respective area at these points.

Charlotte first (remember as of the 2000 Cenus):

10 miles radius from Uptown: 529,325
30 miles radius from Uptown: 1,447,101
95.5 miles radius from Uptown: 5,801,088

Atlanta (remember as of the 2000 census)

10 miles radius from Downtown: 869,937
30 miles radius from Downtown: 3,459,397
95.5 miles radius from Downtown: 6,365,813

Now for this mythical 100 mile radius position, while I was not able to get it exactly at a radius of 100 miles I highly doubt extended that radius a mere 4.5 miles would change much. As you can see above, Atlanta is still larger than a similar area around Charlotte (and since 2000 this area around Atlanta has gained probably 2 to 2.5 million people) and keeps the radius mostly in North Georgia with only a sliver of Alabama and southern Tennessee. The 100 mile radius around Charlotte as you can see takes up the northern 1/3 of South ?
Thanks for posting these graphics, this is the interesting metric that I was referring to with the "Urban Region" reference.

I am not from Charlotte, and I wish that all of us could look at this 95 mile radius thing without comparing it with Atlanta's MSA/CSA any further. If we can't analyze real numbers without fudging and using "fuzzy" math, then we've reduced ourselves to the bumbling politicians in Washington.

I admit I was incorrect about Asheville falling within this 95 miles radius.

I do know that moving this circle eastward a little would pickup some of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill's 1.5 million people.

Now, let's look at some of your numbers just quoted, regardless of whether they're included in this radius:

1) You've rounded down one of NC's MSA's to about 1,000,000, when both are conservatively 1,500,000 or greater.

2) But then, you rounded up growth projection for Atlanta's 95 miles radius to 2,000,000-2,500,000.

3) Didn't Atlanta's 28 county 2000 population hit 5.3 million or so people? And while growth has been explosive, I don't believe by 2-2.5 million.

4) I do know that Raleigh and Charlotte have grown significantly also, Raleigh-Cary MSA alone, (not including Durham-Chapel MSA), grew by 40% and currently ranks either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd fastest in the nation, even in the recession. (Note: in %, not absolute numbers).

5) My only point for these trivial statistics, is that NC's growth must be factored in, just like Atlanta's.

6) Georgia DID surpass North Carolina in population in 2000 for the first time in history by about 300,000 residents. The two states have remained neck and neck by a few hundred thousand ever since. The United States census's website has 2030 population estimates with both states still quite close, but NC narrowly taking the lead again:

7) So your saying NC has about 9 million people and Georgia having about 10,000,000 isn't correct.

I only brought this up to point out that Atlanta counts a huge swath of North Georgia as metro Atlanta, and NC's smaller metros all touch each other already, so the only fair comparison is to match the exact same amount of land area.

Atlanta is the clear winner for a big cosmopolitan city, period. It is in a different league altogether, no question.

But, apples for apples, North Carolina's piedmont is about as populated.

Thank you.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM

647 posts, read 1,416,443 times
Quote:
15 to 30 years? Atlanta was Charlotte size in 1970 at 1.7 million. That was 40 years ago.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 PM

265 posts, read 327,762 times
Quote:
I have been to each one of these cities none of them honestly to me offer everything that Charlotte offers(except maybe San Antonio,without NFl).
Stop changing the subject. I mentioned those cities in response to your statement that "Charlotte happens to be in the unique situation where it actually being compared to other more established big league cities thanks to busineess and amenities but yet does not have the population yet of the other big league cities." That's not unique to Charlotte and is true of those other cities I mentioned, which are also compared to larger, more established cities and is competitive with them in some areas. I love Charlotte a great deal (otherwise I wouldn't live here), but stop trying to make it seem as though we're God's gift to the United States. And you don't even live here in the first place, so what does it even matter!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta