Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Point taken, but the net result is essentially the same.
Agreed...but actually the outcome seems to be one that more people can actually enjoy, rather than just catering to a particular out-of-control party crowd of most college kids and out of towners. Buckhead was not a particularly inviting scene a few years ago, although it was very well known for being wild and crazy. I don't think it's what residents and business owners wanted, and they're the ones with the $.

I still blame it on Ray Lewis...that dude was guilty as hell and somehow got out of it. After that debacle, Buckhead nightlife was never the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Nobody from Charlotte is exagerrrating since we actually live here not just visit for 1 or 2 days(like on a Monday). If anything you guys are exaggerating especially since you guys either have not spent any real extensive time in the city or you guys might actually be feeling a little bit insecure since Atlanta is no longer the only option to move to in the south. And to the poster who said that Charlotte is not creating new jobs or growing:
I can tell Mike that the real reason you do not like Charlotte is because for whatever reason you weren't accepted here and if your post on c-d- data are any indication than it was probably your attitude. You can not like a place and offer constructive criticism without bashing it. The funny thing is I feel like you and some of your negative cohorts are actually finally happy and are being so ugly to us Charlotteans in this thread because yall catch so much hell form the really big cities like New York, Chicago, La,Philadelphia, and Boston and they actually show Charlotte a lot of love. Feel free to check out the Charlotte forum at anytime to see for yourself.
PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CHARLOTTE FORUM. PLEASE POST COMMENTS ON THE CHARLOTTE FORUM. ANYTHING POSTED ON THE CHARLOTTE FORUM WILL BE ATTACKED BY THIS CHARACTER, THE MODERATORS, AND A FEW OTHERS. I have City Data emails from several posters validating this point. IF YOU SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE YOU WILL BE ATTACKED AND YOUR COMMENTS DELETED. THE CHARLOTTE FORUM IS BASICALLY SANITIZED TO TO CONTINUE TO PROMOTE THE CITY. FACT!!

Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Does it really HAVE to be a pissing contest? I know you may not have started the "mine is bigger than yours" thing, but there is such a thing as not continuing it. Atlanta does have a larger downtown than Charlotte, but as far as whether it's "better" or not is completely subjective. Both cities have some great things to offer and both cities have beautiful areas and both cities are great places to live.

Atlanta would win out if someone is looking for a very large (3 million plus) population and all that it has to offer...but not everyone looks for that. Charlotte would win out if someone is looking for a more medium to large (~2 million) population and all that it has to offer. It's really difficult to compare the two because of the size disparity, but each city obviously offers certain advantages that the other just doesn't. Both are great cities in their own way!
You know, I work with a guy who has a house in Charlotte, and he loves Charlotte, and he's originally from Chicago! He's lived in a lot of big cities, including Atlanta, but he raves about Charlotte all the time! I think in another year or two, he's going to find a job that will allow him to be closer to Charlotte so he won't have to commute all the way to High Point! I think he's @ least 10 years older than me, but he still goes out a lot, he's still as active as a 20 something! I think people need to understand that Charlotte is in a growing stage and it is not as established as other cities are! Even with cities such as Nashville and New Orleans (cities that are comparable in size or smaller than Charlotte), they've been more established than Charlotte! I think you're asking a lot of a city that's only been considered a big city in the last 15 years or so to have the same amount of amenities of a Miami, New York or Atlanta, that's almost the same as asking for a city like Kansas City to offer the same amount of amenities as Chicago! I do believe that in time, probably in the next 20-30 years, Charlotte will be where present-day Atlanta is right now, I know ajjam don't think so, but a lot can happen in that period of time! I still remember what Atlanta looked like when I first visited with a church group to go to Six Flags back in 1986 when I was 13 years old (I was impressed with it then), now look @ it today, it's totally a different place!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You know, I work with a guy who has a house in Charlotte, and he loves Charlotte, and he's originally from Chicago! He's lived in a lot of big cities, including Atlanta, but he raves about Charlotte all the time! I think in another year or two, he's going to find a job that will allow him to be closer to Charlotte so he won't have to commute all the way to High Point! I think he's @ least 10 years older than me, but he still goes out a lot, he's still as active as a 20 something! I think people need to understand that Charlotte is in a growing stage and it is not as established as other cities are! Even with cities such as Nashville and New Orleans (cities that are comparable in size or smaller than Charlotte), they've been more established than Charlotte! I think you're asking a lot of a city that's only been considered a big city in the last 15 years or so to have the same amount of amenities of a Miami, New York or Atlanta, that's almost the same as asking for a city like Kansas City to offer the same amount of amenities as Chicago! I do believe that in time, probably in the next 20-30 years, Charlotte will be where present-day Atlanta is right now, I know ajjam don't think so, but a lot can happen in that period of time! I still remember what Atlanta looked like when I first visited with a church group to go to Six Flags back in 1986 when I was 13 years old (I was impressed with it then), now look @ it today, it's totally a different place!
Exactly my point (I think?)...some people are looking for one thing, while others are looking for something else. Someone from Chicago may be looking for a little bit more scaled-down environment that a city the size of Charlotte can offer, but then again Atlanta would also be considered a little scaled-down compared to Chicago as well. It all just comes down to personal wants and needs - and everyone has his/her own.

I hope that people don't expect Charlotte, Nashville, Indy, Memphis, Tampa, etc. to have the same amenities offered in Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, etc. And I hope that people wouldn't expect the same amenities in any of the cities previously listed that might be found in NYC, Chicago, or L.A. You can find many of the same amenities, but in smaller numbers and you might really have to search for them. Again - it all just depends on what is important to you and what kind of environment you're looking for. Neither is "better" than the other!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
DING! DING! DING! DING!

For me, a sidewalk is used to get from point A to point B. That is all.

Exactly

Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Exactly
Booo.

Two words: Jane Jacobs

Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Nobody from Charlotte is exagerrrating since we actually live here not just visit for 1 or 2 days(like on a Monday). If anything you guys are exaggerating especially since you guys either have not spent any real extensive time in the city or you guys might actually be feeling a little bit insecure since Atlanta is no longer the only option to move to in the south. And to the poster who said that Charlotte is not creating new jobs or growing:
I can tell Mike that the real reason you do not like Charlotte is because for whatever reason you weren't accepted here and if your post on c-d- data are any indication than it was probably your attitude. You can not like a place and offer constructive criticism without bashing it. The funny thing is I feel like you and some of your negative cohorts are actually finally happy and are being so ugly to us Charlotteans in this thread because yall catch so much hell form the really big cities like New York, Chicago, La,Philadelphia, and Boston and they actually show Charlotte a lot of love. Feel free to check out the Charlotte forum at anytime to see for yourself.
Your a neverending story my friend. There is so much I could write on this silly post u made.. But I think I'm going to just put u ignore and keep it moving.. I don't know why you seem to think that Charlotte is on the same level as Atlanta.. You are loosing all credibility with us with your rants.. You wonder why you get no respect.. Who cares about what we give from the northeast posters... You don't see us creating threads causing confusion.. Over in the northeast threads are trying to get some type a validation.. Atlanta stands on it's own 2 feet..

Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CHARLOTTE FORUM. PLEASE POST COMMENTS ON THE CHARLOTTE FORUM. ANYTHING POSTED ON THE CHARLOTTE FORUM WILL BE ATTACKED BY THIS CHARACTER, THE MODERATORS, AND A FEW OTHERS. I have City Data emails from several posters validating this point. IF YOU SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE YOU WILL BE ATTACKED AND YOUR COMMENTS DELETED. THE CHARLOTTE FORUM IS BASICALLY SANITIZED TO TO CONTINUE TO PROMOTE THE CITY. FACT!!

I know exactly which moderators u speak of.. Lol your statement is definitely so so true

Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I know exactly which moderators u speak of.. Lol your statement is definitely so so true
I literally have several emails from folks who have posted comments that were thought of as negative on the Charlotte Forum and were given infractions for trolling. I myself have received several infractions from the same Charlotte Cheerleaders. Funny thing is this character qcdreamin recently posted lies on the Charlotte Forum stating that there several clubs, bars, and nightlight in the University Area of Charlotte. When I called him or her on it - because I am in Charlotte a few days a week (in the University Area) - he quickly posted something else basically admitting he lied.

Charlotte is nice medium size city. BUT PLEASE STOP LYING!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,469 times
I don't know who this Posideon704 person is..but i like you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta