Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
qcdreamin - This Atlantan thinks that Charlotte is a terrific city that the entire region should be proud of! Like Atlanta, it's a very nice place. Perhaps you now have at least one answer to your original question... :-)
I agree - and I am not willing to post exaggerations (pro or con) to make that point!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It saddens me to see someone so desperate and lonely for any kind of interaction with another human being, as evidenced by bold red attempts to spark any sort of debate... Oh puhlease!Low blow but if that is what you think,then you own it but it aint me.

1) I mentioned Savannah's port only because it had been cited previously by someone defending all of Georgia.

2) Georgia's port is a huge success, but the nation's deep water ports were shaped by topography, accessibility of the waterways, and strategic points serving different regions of the country. Georgia is smart in building up it's ports, especially since the Panama Canal is being widened, and Louisiana's ports are falling 3) Comparably sized ports won't ever be needed in North Carolina, with Norfolk being so close.Actually combination of inland ports,air cargo and traditional water ports are what is revolutionizing the biz which is exactly what is fueling the Growth in Georgia's port along with its location

4) NC does have two deep water ports however, Morehead City and Wilmington which is being doubled in size.

5) If Georgia's successful port is proof of Georgia reigning supreme in the Southeast, then countless billion dollar industries unique to North Carolina are equally important like:

6) NC's multi-billion dollar tourism industry in its mountains and coastal areas with property owners including Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Al Gore, Linda Lavin, Burt Reynolds...WOW.So impressive. You must really know nothing about Georgia?Tourism is MUCH bigger in Georgia.Atlanta beast RAL and CHT combined in tourism dollars alone.Not to mention Savannah.
Top 10 States Cashing In On Tourism | TOP 100 Lists

7) The U.S. Military's past and long-term commitment to NC for its biggest bases. None are ever closed, rather they grow bigger and bigger.Untrue.Nice try.You should look at Fort Stewart,Robins AFB,,Ft.Gordon and especially Ft.Benning.
Ft.Bragg is getting several large commands due to Ft.McPherson closing in Atlanta; but guess what?They already have planned for that prime piece of Atlanta property.
Fort McPherson̢۪s biotech makeover moves forward - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Dollars to ripple from new U.S. Armed Forces HQ at Fort Bragg - Triangle Business Journal (http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2008/05/19/story3.html?q=fort%20mcpherson%20atlanta%20busi - broken link)

You forget we had more bases than we ever needed thanks to Richard B.Russel,Carl Vinson and Sam Nunn.Some of the most powerful senators of all time

Former Bases Dot Com Home Page

8) The Film and Television industry with Screen Gems studios in Wilmington was flourishing before Tyler Perry was born.So silly!You really think Tyler Perry is the only thing that happened as far as studios?LOL!Screen Gems?You mean this?
Quote:
EUE Screen Gems has agreed to terms of an offer. It's ready to lease the fairgrounds for $250,000 a year to start, and make an initial $6 million investment -- replacing old metal sheds that are currently on the property with a Hollywood-type soundstage to make movies and rebuilding much of the infrastructure on 30 acres of land.(ATLANTA)

Movie Studio Planned For Atlanta - News Story - WSB Atlanta
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movi...m.productions/

9) RTP is unequivocally the Silicon Valley of the East coast, home to IBM, Cisco, Glaxo Smithkline, SAS, Red Hat, all from local leaders planting a seed back in the 1950's.TRUE

10) North Carolina's furniture industry stills plays host for the world's most important furniture show twice a year.Yes and Dalton Georgia is the flooring capital of the world.Its suffering to like High Point

11) Higher education in North Carolina speaks for itself, UNC the nation's 1st public university, Duke Medical School, Wake Forest, NC State's Centennial Campus is nation's largest and most successful public-private partnership leading in solar research, textiles, bio medical, engineering, etc.That title it contentious with UGA.Oldest public university in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12) NC's 80,000 miles of roads and bridgesgetting old and deteriorating because 50-75 years when it was built, Georgia outside of Atlanta proper was wilderness.WRONG!Where do you gets this stuff. Savannah,Augusta,Columbus were all bigger than Raleigh,Durham,Winston-Salem all the way up until 1960

13) FOR THE LAST TIME: Georgia is always cited for having the nations' smoothest interstate highways, nothing else.I gave links to two different studies and they say otherwise.Almost in every category Georgia surpassed North Carolina.

14) North Carolina is working to provide a 4-lane divided highway within 10 miles distance to 96% of the state's very spread out population. Quite an undertaking, but over the last 20 years NC has completed hundreds of miles of new highways all over the state, not to mention the countless bypasses, alternates, etc.How would the downtown area of Charlotte do if it were to have a major interstate run nearer or through its core?:smack:

15) Since 1990 metro Atlanta has doubled in population, and virtually no new roads at all have been built to serve the area. Except the dinky Ga400 connector thorugh Buckhead and Ronald Reagan Parkway. Surburban counties having only Atlanta and 285 to travel anywhere is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. The Northern Arc is so desperately needed for travel in the Northern counties, and an alternative route for the 75/85 Downtown Connector should have been COMPLETED 15 YEARS AGO.

16) Georgia's economy and livelyhood statewide being funnelled through one clogged, over-capacity, "at a crawl" , highway through downtown proves Georgia just recently rose from it's "Hee-Haw" past. No other state would have allowed this negligence for so long. The entire state's future prosperity and success is at stake, and the 75/85 connector has been congested 24/7 for the past 10 years. GDOT had to seek advice from a private consultant just to get the ridiculous 18 mile underground tunnel proposal. Double-decking the downtown connector is the best, easiest, cheapest, solution unless a 2nd loop around atlanta is possible.
Quote:
The Freeing the Freeways program is a project which involved widening some of the freeways in Atlanta, Georgia. The project took 17 years to create, cost $1,500,000,000, and doubled Atlanta's interstate lane miles from 900 to 1,851. One freeway that was involved in the project was the 75/85 Downtown Connector. Another project was the construction of the Tom Moreland Interchange

Youre really stretching what has been done to come to a solution for an admitted problem and as to how much of an impact it creates.
1)The 75/85 and 285 interstates are part of the reason Atlanta has boommed.
2)The instate widening to what is now did not occur until the early 1980's.So the tone in which you are implying as if they waited rather than Atlanta just grew too fast is ridiculous.The state was actually ahead of the curve.It was a massive project that disrupted commerce and peoples everyday lives.It took many years to complete.There were other routes proposed but people in the city were against tearing up more of Atlanta's historic neighborhoods.

3)ALL state agencies pay for private consultants often more than not.The downtown connector is NOT congested 24/7.That is such a lie and not even close to the truth.I live downtown.Other than rush hours and occasionally on Saturdays when a lot is going on in the city,I have no problems AT ALL.

4)The tunnel you speak of is because of this:
Quote:
Nonetheless, the northern portion of the inside-the-Perimeter route remained alive, and after lawsuits by residents that spent numerous years in court, GDOT was able to force the extension through Buckhead. Dozens of homes were taken through eminent domain or the threat of it, and the highway was built right though the middle of formerly-secluded and forested neighborhoods. Many remaining residents now live on dead end streets with significant noise pollution or unsightly metal barrier walls

Your whole rant was garbage filled with b.s.Go back and try some facts next time.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
And that's all I'm arguing. And it shows when you drive throughout the state. Yes Atlanta is huge, but all of the development throughout the metro area is all Atlanta's. The entire Piedmont Crescent is less populous, but that still consists of three separate 1 million+ metro regions.
But that's the thing just because NC has more medium metros doesn't mean the devolpment is alot more spread out through out the state. I'm not talking about population the Piedmont Crescent: Charlotte, The triangle and the triad together isn't much more in area then the Atlanta CSAs alone. It's fraction 1/3 and 3/9 is the same thing One is just more broken up pieces of the same sum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
like wise MSAs to the census
  • Anson, 537 sq mi
  • Cabarrus, 365 sq mi
  • Gaston, 364 sq mi
  • Mecklenburg, 546 sq mi
  • Union 640 sq mi
  • York 696 sq mi
  • Charlotte MSA 3,148 sq mi
  • Franklin County 495 sq mi
  • Wake 857 sq mi
  • Chatham 709 sq mi
  • Raleigh-Cary 2,054 sq mi
  • Guilford 649 sq mi
  • Rockingham 572 sq mi
  • Randolph 790 sq mi
  • Greensboro-High Point 2,011 sq mi
  • Forsyth 413 sq mi
  • Stokes 456 sq mi
  • Yadkin 337 sq mi
  • Davie 267 sq mi
  • Winston-Salem 1,473 sq mi
  • Durham 298 sq mi
  • Person 404 sq mi
  • Orange 401 sq mi
  • Chatham 709 sq mi
  • Durham-Chapel Hill 1,812 sq mi
The Piedmont Crescent Together 10,498 sq mi

------------------------------------------------------------
  • Metro Atlanta 8,376 sq mi
  • Hall 429 sq mi
  • Troup 446 sq mi
  • Polk 312 sq mi
  • Putnam 361 sq mi
  • Atlanta CSA part Together 9,924 sq mi
What got me is when you said this
Quote:
NC has three metro regions over 1 million people spaced somewhat evenly throughout the central part of the state, and smaller metro areas towards the ends. After Atlanta, the next largest metro area in Georgia is ten times smaller. That is a dramatic difference. Driving along I-85 in Georgia, all you've got is metro Atlanta. Driving through I-85 in NC, you've got Charlotte, Greensboro, and Durham. Driving along I-20 in Georgia, you've got Augusta and Atlanta. Driving along I-40 in NC, you've got Wilmington, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Asheville. Yes there is a lot of rural expanses along those interstates in both states, but you drive through more urban areas in NC than in Georgia. I don't even see how that can be debated. The contrast is evident when looking at these two maps:

Again, that's all largely due to Atlanta which is primarily where it is today as a city because of progressive local leadership.

I'm not faulting Georgia for having Atlanta as its only real major city. I'm just saying that the policies of North Carolina have helped to spread the wealth around the state in a way that Georgia's hasn't.
Metro Atlanta by itself is about as much spread out though the state of Georgia as the North Carolina's 3 largest metro areas are. Your confusing the ideal that North Carolina has more medium metros as North Carolina having more urban areas across the state. Saying After Atlanta is saying after 8,376 sq mi of Georgia compare to Charlotte’s 3,148 sq mi of North Carolina. That only real major city in Georgia is a lot bigger than anything in North Carolina. Yes Georgia has a lot less outside of Atlanta the full metro CSA is bigger than Massachusetts in area. The development outside of Atlanta in GA is about the same as the development in NC outside the piedmont crescent I say the piedmont crescent again because that’s how big Atlanta is by itself. My point is the only way you can make a fair trade to take Atlanta out you most take the Crescent as whole out as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
No, my argument still stands due to spatial patterns. Remember, my argument is that development is more spread out in NC, not that NC has more total development. Now like any metro area, the bulk of the development is going to be located within the core counties, and from there it will taper off. Within Atlanta, you've got Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, and Gwinnett as the core counties, all bordering each other, that contain the bulk of the development. The further you go out, the less intense the development is and those outlying counties (Rockdale, Coweta, Carroll, etc.) aren't much different than, say, a Glynn or Lowndes county so there's not much that they add in terms of development from a metropolitan aspect. The difference here is the obvious: the Piedmont Crescent is three separate metropolitan regions that are spaced out from each other. So once you leave Charlotte (Mecklenburg County), development will taper off and then will pick up once you enter Forsyth or Guilford counties. Then it will taper off once more until you hit Durham and Wake counties. These areas are spread out and aren't literally bordering each other as they are in Atlanta's case.

Quote:
The development outside of Atlanta in GA is about the same as the development in NC outside the piedmont crescent I say the piedmont crescent again because that’s how big Atlanta is by itself. My point is the only way you can make a fair trade to take Atlanta out you most take the Crescent as whole out as well.
Let's see. The MSA's over 200K in Georgia outside of Atlanta are Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, and Macon. Those in NC outside of the Piedmont Crescent are Asheville, Wilmington, Fayetteville, and the Unifour (Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir metro area). So that's four for each state, but the difference is that Georgia is 5,500 square miles larger than NC. I think that's about the size of the ten counties that make up the Atlanta Regional Commission, so that's not exactly a small area.

In light of all of that, I think my argument still stands.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Aren't Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, and Macon MSA & Urban Area populations bigger? Compared to Wilmington, Asheville, Fayetteville, and Hickory. Augusta's Urban Area is larger than Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem.

2009 Urban Areas
1. Augusta 340,146
2. Fayetteville 280,540
3. Columbus 246,572
4. Asheville 243,370
5. Savannah 203,256
6. Hickory 192,288
7. Wilimington 191,577
8. Macon 129,827

GA
1. Atlanta 4,183,353

NC
1. Charlotte 946,237
2. Raleigh 688,448
3. Winston Salem 339,681
4. Durham 320,283
5. Greensboro 285,511

Last edited by nortonguy; 10-04-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm not sure what Augusta in particular has to do with this. And if my argument was based on size alone, I would have lost that argument a long time ago since Atlanta is bigger than anything in NC. I spelled out what I'm arguing pretty clearly in my last post.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what Augusta in particular has to do with this. And if my argument was based on size alone, I would have lost that argument a long time ago since Atlanta is bigger than anything in NC. I spelled out what I'm arguing pretty clearly in my last post.
''Let's see. The MSA's over 200K in Georgia outside of Atlanta are Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, and Macon. Those in NC outside of the Piedmont Crescent are Asheville, Wilmington, Fayetteville, and the Unifour (Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir metro area). So that's four for each state, but the difference is that Georgia is 5,500 square miles larger than NC. I think that's about the size of the ten counties that make up the Atlanta Regional Commission, so that's not exactly a small area''.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Did you actually take the time to see what I was responding to or did you just see your city's name and decided to throw in an irrelevant plug for it? Context matters, my friend. As I said before, Augusta in particular has nothing to do with this particular argument I'm making. Urban area population rankings are really irrelevant.

Again, for the record: "My argument is that development is more spread out in NC, not that NC has more total development."

Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
No, my argument still stands due to spatial patterns. Remember, my argument is that development is more spread out in NC, not that NC has more total development. Now like any metro area, the bulk of the development is going to be located within the core counties, and from there it will taper off. Within Atlanta, you've got Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, and Gwinnett as the core counties, all bordering each other, that contain the bulk of the development. The further you go out, the less intense the development is and those outlying counties (Rockdale, Coweta, Carroll, etc.) aren't much different than, say, a Glynn or Lowndes county so there's not much that they add in terms of development from a metropolitan aspect. The difference here is the obvious: the Piedmont Crescent is three separate metropolitan regions that are spaced out from each other. So once you leave Charlotte (Mecklenburg County), development will taper off and then will pick up once you enter Forsyth or Guilford counties. Then it will taper off once more until you hit Durham and Wake counties. These areas are spread out and aren't literally bordering each other as they are in Atlanta's case.

Let's see. The MSA's over 200K in Georgia outside of Atlanta are Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, and Macon. Those in NC outside of the Piedmont Crescent are Asheville, Wilmington, Fayetteville, and the Unifour (Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir metro area). So that's four for each state, but the difference is that Georgia is 5,500 square miles larger than NC. I think that's about the size of the ten counties that make up the Atlanta Regional Commission, so that's not exactly a small area.

In light of all of that, I think my argument still stands.
Nope! ) because you did it again Your confusing the ideal that North Carolina has more medium metros as North Carolina having more urban areas across the state. Again same area more names that basically what your trying to say. For having more metros over a million but at the same time have about the same or less development I don't see what's to brag about. It's playing fraction.

Considering the fact Coweta, and Carroll are over 100,000 and Rockdale isn’t far off from. If you chose to dismiss them you have to dismiss most counties in North Carolina’s piedmont crescent and then North Carolina won’t have any metros over a million. If Coweta, and Carroll aren’t develop enough to you LMAO then so isn’t most of the counties in Metro Charlotte, Raleigh and the triad area now to me by same standard just saying. Yes Atlanta core is denser what your forgetting Metro Atlanta is more populated then north Carolina’s top 3 metros combine. The bulk of metro Atlanta maybe in the five core counties but I posted the population of counties over 100,000 earlier it's comparable. The Greater Atlanta area has 16 counties over 100,000. It’s beside the point they're not as develop as Cobb the point is they're just as develop as an North Carolina suburban county though.

Georgia is 5,500 square miles larger than NC, true but Georgia is also 400,000 more people than NC. But I don’t see the relevance of this. Then actually the CSAs of the Piedmont Crescent do abut each other.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But that's the thing just because NC has more medium metros doesn't mean the devolpment is alot more spread out through out the state. I'm not talking about population the Piedmont Crescent: Charlotte, The triangle and the triad together isn't much more in area then the Atlanta CSAs alone. It's fraction 1/3 and 3/9 is the same thing One is just more broken up pieces of the same sum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
like wise MSAs to the census
  • Anson, 537 sq mi
  • Cabarrus, 365 sq mi
  • Gaston, 364 sq mi
  • Mecklenburg, 546 sq mi
  • Union 640 sq mi
  • York 696 sq mi
  • Charlotte MSA 3,148 sq mi
  • Franklin County 495 sq mi
  • Wake 857 sq mi
  • Chatham 709 sq mi
  • Raleigh-Cary 2,054 sq mi
  • Guilford 649 sq mi
  • Rockingham 572 sq mi
  • Randolph 790 sq mi
  • Greensboro-High Point 2,011 sq mi
  • Forsyth 413 sq mi
  • Stokes 456 sq mi
  • Yadkin 337 sq mi
  • Davie 267 sq mi
  • Winston-Salem 1,473 sq mi
  • Durham 298 sq mi
  • Person 404 sq mi
  • Orange 401 sq mi
  • Chatham 709 sq mi
  • Durham-Chapel Hill 1,812 sq mi
The Piedmont Crescent Together 10,498 sq mi

------------------------------------------------------------
  • Metro Atlanta 8,376 sq mi
  • Hall 429 sq mi
  • Troup 446 sq mi
  • Polk 312 sq mi
  • Putnam 361 sq mi
  • Atlanta CSA part Together 9,924 sq mi
What got me is when you said this

Metro Atlanta by itself is about as much spread out though the state of Georgia as the North Carolina's 3 largest metro areas are. Your confusing the ideal that North Carolina has more medium metros as North Carolina having more urban areas across the state. Saying After Atlanta is saying after 8,376 sq mi of Georgia compare to Charlotte’s 3,148 sq mi of North Carolina. That only real major city in Georgia is a lot bigger than anything in North Carolina. Yes Georgia has a lot less outside of Atlanta the full metro CSA is bigger than Massachusetts in area. The development outside of Atlanta in GA is about the same as the development in NC outside the piedmont crescent I say the piedmont crescent again because that’s how big Atlanta is by itself. My point is the only way you can make a fair trade to take Atlanta out you most take the Crescent as whole out as well.
I think if you're going to use the area of Atlanta's CSA then you need to use the CSA's of the NC cities. Charlotte CSA alone includes 15 counties and is a tad larger than Atlanta's CSA in area: Charlotte metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Triad of NC has 13 counties in it's CSA: Piedmont Triad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (you only listed 9 for the MSA). IMO that would be a better comparison and give people a better idea of the actual size of these metros. Other than that it was good information.

I'm not taking sides or anything because, as I've stated before, I grew up near Charlotte and love it like my hometown...and that opinion hasn't changed at all in my 20 years of living in Atlanta. But let's be fair in our comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta