Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I've heard nothing of the sort whatsoever, especially since the two areas have two totally different economic specialties. I'd like to see references if you have them.

Huh? The subject wasn't even about what "Charlotte does better than Atlanta." Where did you even get that from? Now please go check the symphony orchestra, ballet, opera, etc. schedules and attend the next show you're able to make now that you know we have those things, even though the way you posed the questions implied that we didn't.

Just because the Panthers are crappy right now doesn't mean their future isn't secure here any more than the Hawks' streak of lackluster seasons didn't mean their future was in jeopardy. A little guy named Jerry Richardson, who's very committed to this region, will make sure of that.

If BOA's corporate headquarters were to leave, and there's nothing indicating that it will, Charlotte would still likely be home to a regional HQs of the bank, just like we are with Wells Fargo and we'd still have a larger banking sector than Atlanta. We've reached the point now where the industry has reached critical mass and will continue to play an important role in the city's and region's economic future. There are financial firms setting up shop here on a constant basis and there are rumblings of even more to come.

Despite your "concerns" Newsboy, we're doing just fine here in Charlotte and aren't living in the fears that you're subtly implying that we should be living in. I'm sure Atlanta has more than enough concerns of its own for its citizens to work through without worrying about little ol' Charlotte.
I wasn't implying anything, I was simply asking a question about the health of the Panthers franchise because I didn't know. Contrary to what you might believe, we down here in Georgia don't concern ourselves or stay "up to date" on what goes on in Charlotte. And I raised the likelihood of the Tampa Bay Rays relocating as an opportunity for Charlotte to get a franchise. That would probably be a good fit, if perhaps too close to Tampa Bay.

No need to be so defensive -- unless you're Charlotte I suppose. Inferiority complex much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
When I hear of Charlotte being compared to Atlanta, I just wanna tell Charlotte TO SIT DOWN! Charlotte is nothing and lame and on an entire different level than Atlanta. Even though Charlotte may be on the Come-up it will never equal that of Atlanta. We are just far ahead, and far better.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Quote:
How so? I can't wait to see your joke of an analysis here, probably based on something you heard your uncle's sister's cousin's wife's nephew say.
Gwinnett County has more people than Charlotte; better parks; schools; etc....

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM

265 posts, read 330,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I wasn't implying anything, I was simply asking a question about the health of the Panthers franchise because I didn't know.
Hmmm...so now you're just asking an innocent question because you "didn't know." You seemed to know just a post or so again:
How secure are the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte? Because L.A. is lobbying hard to win back an NFL franchise -- even to the point of trying to lure the Raiders down or the Chargers up. The likely team to relocate, if one does, is the Jaguars -- this may be their last season in Jacksonville. But with the pathetic season the Panthers are having, I'm just wondering if it's not a matter of time before they also pull up stakes and move to a more profitable city.

Quote:
Contrary to what you might believe, we down here in Georgia don't concern ourselves or stay "up to date" on what goes on in Charlotte.
This thread concerns Atlanta and Charlotte, not Georgia and Charlotte. I should hope that you guys in Savannah wouldn't concern yourselves with Charlotte. You're trying to keep pace with Charleston and Augusta; Charlotte is clearly out of your league. That's not a diss, it's just the truth.

Quote:
No need to be so defensive -- unless you're Charlotte I suppose. Inferiority complex much?
Like I said, we're doing just fine here. There's a difference between having an "inferiority complex" and defending your city. Just because Atlanta is often on the defensive in many threads, does that mean the city has an inferiority complex also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
When I hear of Charlotte being compared to Atlanta, I just wanna tell Charlotte TO SIT DOWN! Charlotte is nothing and lame and on an entire different level than Atlanta. Even though Charlotte may be on the Come-up it will never equal that of Atlanta. We are just far ahead, and far better.
"We"? Looks like you live in the land of Disney, not Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Gwinnett County has more people than Charlotte; better parks; schools; etc....
The one guy said Cobb County, now you're saying Gwinnett. Is this just a case of throwing any ridiculous notion to the wall to see what will stick? Furthermore, you're comparing a city to a county; even then, the city of Charlotte compares quite well with Gwinnett County in population. Like I said, how about you guys produce some actual statistics? Am I to assume that you're without bias and your claims or accurate? I don't think so. At any case, the whole excercise is ridiculous.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM

265 posts, read 330,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I just moved here so I don't know all the details...but I remember hearing (fairly recently) that maybe 5 or 6 companies were looking at Charlotte to relocate (within different time frames)...but then chose to move to GSP.
I'm willing to meet you a little ways with this one. Via a Google search, I did see where an electric bus manufacturer picked Greenville over Charlotte for a manufacturing facility back in February, but that's because the state of SC and Greenville County whored itself out to get it. It wouldn't have been worth it for Charlotte from an economic standpoint.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:14 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
Basically any of Atlanta's core counties (Fulton, Cobb, gwinnett, DeKalb & Clayton) can each hold its own against Charlotte. Anything you can do in Charlotte you could do with any of these counties. Clayton maybe not as much but still four seperate counties can compete with one city on population, density, school system, amenities, recreation etc.........Charlotte is nothing but a sleepy bank town with city center thrown in the middle. You may not agree but more people do than dont

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
No they aren't in the same tier. Charlotte and possibly Tampa are in a tier above the other cities. None of the other cities GDP comes close to Charlottes($30 billion is a big gap). Plus the everyday amenities(with all do respect to Disney), cbds, of Charlotte and in some regards Tampa put them above the opther cities. I strongly suggest that people stop thinkin that because a city has more people that makes it better than a city with less people. Quite a few companies have moved their headquarters and operations from Atlanta to Charlotte for this specific reason. Big city perks without big city problems(yet). For example: one of the busiest airports in the world is in CHarlotte( can't remember the exact ranking but we are in the top 20). Also Charlotte is ranked # 7 in the country number of Fortune 500 companies located here. We also have plenty of amenities that for some reason some ATL posters think we don't have(amusment parks, animal science centers,jazz clubs, CBDS other than uptown). IF Charlotte was really as bad as some of yall "wish" that it was Mecklenburg County would not be the #1 relocation spot for Atlanta residents(thats not a shot just a fact).

Your a silly poster.. They are classified in the same tier Charlotte leads the tier but there in the same tier. If Charlotte was a good place then why is it Number 1 spot for relocation to Atlanta..... But the Difference is Atlanta is alot more diverse and More people Desire to live in this Metro than Charlotte. (Thats not a shot thats a fact)

Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Poseidon...you need to check the season records for the Hawks - they have had MANY excellent seasons and have often won their division. Before you jump on the uninformed bandwagon toward disparaging the Hawks franchise, you should research it a little bit. I've heard too many times before about the Hawks' woes when it just isn't factual. No, they haven't been past the second round of the playoffs due to little things like Michael Jordan, the Boston Celtics, and other insurmountable odds...but they have had very respectable teams and very good seasons over the years, so there is no need to act otherwise.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...so now you're just asking an innocent question because you "didn't know." You seemed to know just a post or so again:
How secure are the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte? Because L.A. is lobbying hard to win back an NFL franchise -- even to the point of trying to lure the Raiders down or the Chargers up. The likely team to relocate, if one does, is the Jaguars -- this may be their last season in Jacksonville. But with the pathetic season the Panthers are having, I'm just wondering if it's not a matter of time before they also pull up stakes and move to a more profitable city.

This thread concerns Atlanta and Charlotte, not Georgia and Charlotte. I should hope that you guys in Savannah wouldn't concern yourselves with Charlotte. You're trying to keep pace with Charleston and Augusta; Charlotte is clearly out of your league. That's not a diss, it's just the truth.

Like I said, we're doing just fine here. There's a difference between having an "inferiority complex" and defending your city. Just because Atlanta is often on the defensive in many threads, does that mean the city has an inferiority complex also?

"We"? Looks like you live in the land of Disney, not Atlanta.

The one guy said Cobb County, now you're saying Gwinnett. Is this just a case of throwing any ridiculous notion to the wall to see what will stick? Furthermore, you're comparing a city to a county; even then, the city of Charlotte compares quite well with Gwinnett County in population. Like I said, how about you guys produce some actual statistics? Am I to assume that you're without bias and your claims or accurate? I don't think so. At any case, the whole excercise is ridiculous.

Cobb County is huge. 700,000 ++ people. Lockheed is based there.
Gwinnett Coiunty is huge 800,00 people

GET IT?????

Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
How so? I can't wait to see your joke of an analysis here, probably based on something you heard your uncle's sister's cousin's wife's nephew say.

It could compete but Charlotte does have more than Cobb. But the point is one could compare Cobb and Mecklenberg. Or Mecklenberg and Gwinnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta