Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Again, proves my point. "You people" start losing the debate about Fortune 500 companies, so rather than admit Charlotte and Atlanta as being esentially equals on that front, you miraculously flip Fortune 500 companies into a debate about nightlife. Like I said before, you guys are hyper sensitive and defensive. The more you keeping coming back at me about it, the more it proves my point, so keep on.
ACTUALLY WHY DONT YOU READ WHAT YOU POST FIRST.Last I checked ILLINOIS is a State not CHICAGO which is a city.Stop getting so defensive and maybe you won't look stupid!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...0/2010/cities/

Last edited by afonega1; 10-16-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
LMAO at you too! A Georgia poster brings up the issue of Fortune 500 companies, I point out that Atlanta and Charlotte have essentially the same number, and now all of a sudden, "Well, that really doen't matter after all" (whiney little girl voice). You people should be ashamed of yourselves. How about this then, Charlotte's largest company, BofA, dwarfs any of Atlanta's Fortune 500 companies in size and clout Is that good enough?

And Atlanta as a city dwarfs all of Charlotte in size and clout. GOOD ENOUGH?

Sheesh ... I wasn't the one who was bragging on Fortune 500 in the first place. I was only pointing out the obvious reality about them. But my gosh, you're funny.

Besides ... HOME DEPOT IS BIGGER THAN LOWES AND OUR BANK OF AMERICA TOWER IS STILL TALLER THAN YOURS! Na-na-na-na-boo-boo!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Now, Fortune 500 HQs certainly have prestige, but they are not the end-all to which a state or city is or should be defined. Houston has the 2nd-highest concentration of F-500 companies in the nation, at 27. Atlanta has 9. But Greater Houston's population is not three times the size of Metro Atlanta -- the difference is less than 400,000.
No, but Houston's GDP is a bit larger than Atlanta's. I'm not arguing for or against the overall point you're making, but I just wanted to point that out. I was actually a bit surprised when I first found that out, but I guess that's what oil will do for your economy.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
ACTUALLY WHY DONT YOU READ WHAT YOU POST FIRST.Last I checked ILLINOIS is a State not CHICAGO which is a city.Stop getting so defensive and maybe you won't look stupid!

Fortune 500 2010: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
Of course I read it. But you obviously didn't read the previous discussions. We were discussing the number of Fortune 500 companies in the "metro" areas. Chicago has over 30 and Atlanta only has 12. Again, when it comes to Fortune 500 companies, Atlanta is on the same level as Charlotte, not its peers like Dallas or Houston who have over 20, and certainly not Chicago with over 30. Maaaaan, you people refuse to give Charlotte credit where credit is due. You keep coming with these overly defensive comments and then wonder why there's 60 pages of this thread...oh, and wonder why other posters supposedly attack Atlanta (sarcastic voice)

Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Again, proves my point. "You people" start losing the debate about Fortune 500 companies, so rather than admit Charlotte and Atlanta as being esentially equals on that front, you miraculously flip Fortune 500 companies into a debate about nightlife. Like I said before, you guys are hyper sensitive and defensive. The more you keeping coming back at me about it, the more it proves my point, so keep on.
I have no idea what you're talking about...I haven't posted one thing about F500 companies, so don't act like you've been arguing with me - and I'm apparently one of the "you people" you were so rudely talking about. There is no need to take it to that level.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
LMAO at you too! A Georgia poster brings up the issue of Fortune 500 companies, I point out that Atlanta and Charlotte have essentially the same number, and now all of a sudden, "Well, that really doen't matter after all" (whiney little girl voice). You people should be ashamed of yourselves. How about this then, Charlotte's largest company, BofA, dwarfs any of Atlanta's Fortune 500 companies in size and clout Is that good enough?
Now see...there are two different tones in these posts between you and Newsboy. Yours is aggressive/offensive. There is just no need for it.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
That would be the case IF it were true. But the fact is, Chicago has around 30 something Fortune 500 companies.

Link: Fortune 500 2010: States: Illinois Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

See, this is what I'm talking about. Why can't you Atlanta people just admit that when it comes to Fortune 500 companies, Charlotte and Atlanta are essentially in the same league? That ain't got nothing to do with nightlife, shopping, etc. It is, what it is. Numbers don't lie. But you guys can't admit it. To continue to argue the case proves my point about you guys being hyper sensitive.

There is not problem with Atlanta having the same amount as Charlotte or more. Even with that the economic output is still greater. The problem we are having is that You guys have a economic come up and think you can compete with the Top 10 metros in USA.. 1and 2 catergories dont cut it sorry.. Talk about hyper sensitivity. Everytime you look around Charlotte is trying to get some type of Validation from Other cities. Its suffers from a Identity crisis. Example: We got light rail now we can compete with Atlanta. Yes Charlotte wants Atlanta global and international status.What you guys need to do and realize is that Charlotte is going to always be in the Shadows on Atlanta period. When you realize that then we wouldnt have these debates

Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
LMAO! Seriously? You still talking about the Luna Lounge? I see you still don't get out much. You been anywhere else yet? Wet Willies, Dharma, 5th Element, The Roxx. Let me guess, you've never heard of any of those places. I've come to the conclusion you may be too old to have an opinion about nightlife.
JUst admit honey Nightlife is dry in Charlotte compared to Atlanta FACT!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:

HOw about this Atlanta Dwarfs Charlotte in

Shopping
Transportation
Global and international regconition
Media
Sporting events
Hotel and Dining options
Housing options
Nightlife
Transportation
Education
Economic Output
City Development

Old 10-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Of course I read it. But you obviously didn't read the previous discussions. We were discussing the number of Fortune 500 companies in the "metro" areas. Chicago has over 30 and Atlanta only has 12. Again, when it comes to Fortune 500 companies, Atlanta is on the same level as Charlotte, not its peers like Dallas or Houston who have over 20, and certainly not Chicago with over 30. Maaaaan, you people refuse to give Charlotte credit where credit is due. You keep coming with these overly defensive comments and then wonder why there's 60 pages of this thread...oh, and wonder why other posters supposedly attack Atlanta (sarcastic voice)

MMMM and you wonder why Charlottes gets belittled, no credit, or recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta