Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and the first thing you guys say is you have the busiest airport in the world
Yep, that too.

Texas claiming its more 'diverse' strikes me as fishy too.

Diverse in what? Execution methods? (Sorry, couldn't resist a little jab.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Trust me, if Houston had the busiest airport in the world that would BE ALL WE EVER HEAR!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Trust me, if Houston had the busiest airport in the world that would BE ALL WE EVER HEAR!

God yes. BUT, all the sunbelt boomtowns are always bragging that "we have this and we have that". It's not just Atlanta. Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte are just as guilty too. It smacks of "Hey, we're a big city too! We have to impress people up North! "

It's annoying, but that's the breaks. But remember, a so called "world class" city doesn't have to brag/browbeat that it is world class (Toronto is guilty of this as well). It just is.

Quote:
Texas claiming its more 'diverse' strikes me as fishy too.
To be fair, I will say that yes, Houston is more diverse/cosmopolitan than Atlanta. It is a port city, and has proximity to Latin America, has a large Vietnamese population (second largest in the nation), and with the petroleum industry, attracts a much more international population. Southwest Houston puts Buford Highway to shame. Not to mention the people from all over the nation that have been moving down there.

I can't speak for the rest of Texas, but yes, to me Houston is more diverse.

Last edited by grindin; 01-09-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM

^Oh, I have no problem with Houston being more diverse than Atlanta at all, grindin. I just hate having it shoved down our throats on a daily basis.

And I agree, I really think this is an overall Southern thing, and I understand it too. After living here for quite some time, you get very sick and tired of defending the place after a while. Atlanta has always seeked outside approval, and the reasons are many - but IMO in all comes down to people being sick of the constant bashing. And I'm not just speaking of here at C-D, I'm speaking throughout modern culture, the coastal-centric media, etc.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Oh, I have no problem with Houston being more diverse than Atlanta at all, grindin. I just hate having it shoved down our throats on a daily basis.

And I agree, I really think this is an overall Southern thing, and I understand it too. After living here for quite some time, you get very sick and tired of defending the place after a while. Atlanta has always seeked outside approval, and the reasons are many - but IMO in all comes down to people being sick of the constant bashing. And I'm not just speaking of here at C-D, I'm speaking throughout modern culture, the coastal-centric media, etc.
That is true. I lived in Mississippi for 9 years. You wouldn't believe the STUPID questions people ask me about that place. Like "You have paved roads down there?" "Do you wear shoes?". I knew someone who had to deal with a group of businessmen from Boston who assumed they would have to go to New Orleans or Memphis for jet service. As much as I couldn't stand living there, I didn't take to well to these sort of stupid assumptions.

One year, an aunt of mine came down here to visit, and I did the obligatory 25 Cent Tour of Buckhead, and we were on Peachtree passing Lenox Square. She has lived in California for the past 50 years or so, and she was raised in Mississippi during shall we say, a less enlightened time when it came to race relations. So anyway, we pass Lenox Square, and she says something like, "I heard Black People aren't allowed in that Mall" WTH? Now this was in 2007 when this happened, not 1957. Come on now!

I told her that she needed to get out more.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
God yes. BUT, all the sunbelt boomtowns are always bragging that "we have this and we have that". It's not just Atlanta. Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte are just as guilty too. It smacks of "Hey, we're a big city too! We have to impress people up North! "

It's annoying, but that's the breaks. But remember, a so called "world class" city doesn't have to brag/browbeat that it is world class (Toronto is guilty of this as well). It just is.

To be fair, I will say that yes, Houston is more diverse/cosmopolitan than Atlanta. It is a port city, and has proximity to Latin America, has a large Vietnamese population (second largest in the nation), and with the petroleum industry, attracts a much more international population. Southwest Houston puts Buford Highway to shame. Not to mention the people from all over the nation that have been moving down there.

The reason why people from atlanta brag is because its bashed throughout this whole forum all these vs atlanta threads in here its like people just target Atlanta. people say all kinda untrue statements on here . so we get on here to correct them. But these are opinions at the end of the day. I think atlanta has alot more positve things than negative . The main thing people always say on here is too much sprawl, traffic pollution etc. People are so ready to bash atlanta that they forget that there are alot of positive things here but people love to focus on the negative sometimes i feel like its envy and people going off what other people wrote about atlanta in other forums. And the whole thing about Houston being more cosmo is based on opinions. I had a friend from houston that came too atlanta and he stated the atlanta was smaller but we were more cosmo and we had more things too do monday thru sunday so with that said everything is based on an opinion so it doesnt make it true

Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
That is true. I lived in Mississippi for 9 years. You wouldn't believe the STUPID questions people ask me about that place. Like "You have paved roads down there?" "Do you wear shoes?". I knew someone who had to deal with a group of businessmen from Boston who assumed they would have to go to New Orleans or Memphis for jet service. As much as I couldn't stand living there, I didn't take to well to these sort of stupid assumptions.

One year, an aunt of mine came down here to visit, and I did the obligatory 25 Cent Tour of Buckhead, and we were on Peachtree passing Lenox Square. She has lived in California for the past 50 years or so, and she was raised in Mississippi during shall we say, a less enlightened time when it came to race relations. So anyway, we pass Lenox Square, and she says something like, "I heard Black People aren't allowed in that Mall" WTH? Now this was in 2007 when this happened, not 1957. Come on now!

I told her that she needed to get out more.
WOW! This tops anything I have heard for a long time. Give your Aunt a hug for me, and tell it was from a white guy in Atlanta!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:

Third largest vietnamese population and Largest Nigerian population.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl;6915418... [I
the coastal-centric media, etc[/i].

Yes!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Third largest vietnamese population and Largest Nigerian population.
Interesting. I guess I'm learning from this forum. I really didn't think Houston was necessarily a whole lot more cosmopolitan than Atlanta (I can't speak to Houston as I've only been there once for less than a day). Must be pretty cosmopolitan then. Which is surprising since it really tends to be rather isolated and overlooked when one thinks of major urban environments.

Is that right that SW Houston 'puts Buford Hwy to shame'? If so, then my next question would be that Atlanta has several other "ethnic" areas spread about the city. Is the same true for Houston? If so, then I'd say yeah maybe Houston is considerably more cosmopolitan than Atlanta. But if not, I'd suspect that it's really a matter of Houston having its diverse groups more densely located than Atlanta (which would mean, yet again!, Atlanta is being 'discounted' because of the whole city proper vs. metro pop problem, but it wouldn't be the first time!). But in general, I'm suspecting this is being overstated. I'm aware of Houston's SE Asian pop, and a large Chinese pop too, but don't forget Atlanta's got its own groups: Brazilians, Jamaicans, Indians, and above all, Koreans.

Anyway, if what you're saying about Houston is true then I'd say: Wow! Now THAT's a city that's truly justified in having a chip on its shoulder for sure! I mean, who ever thinks of Houston - other than those who happen to know it well - when thinking of America's most exciting cities? It would be a shame if it were really as exciting an area as is being said here and were simply overlooked just cause of the humidity and the mosquitoes.

Last edited by WilliamM; 01-09-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta