Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM

73 posts, read 109,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No argument here. This is one comparison in which Charlotte holds the upper hand IMO.
Yeah there is SOME things that Charlotte does better. But overall No comparison..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Quote:
No argument here. This is one comparison in which Charlotte holds the upper hand IMO.
I agree again

Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,023 times
Charlotte has had the advantage of being able to review the mistakes that Metro Atlanta has made in terms of transit and growth and hopefully will be able to avoid them.

I think both metro areas are nice. I have lived here in Atlanta for 25 years, but wouldn't have a problem living in Charlotte if the right situation came my way. I think Charlotte is more progressive than most other cities in it's size range.

At the end of the day, it's not fair to Charlotte to compare it to Atlanta. Atlanta's peer cities are DFW, Houston, Washington, and Miami.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Charlotte has had the advantage of being able to review the mistakes that Metro Atlanta has made in terms of transit and growth and hopefully will be able to avoid them.

I think both metro areas are nice. I have lived here in Atlanta for 25 years, but wouldn't have a problem living in Charlotte if the right situation came my way. I think Charlotte is more progressive than most other cities in it's size range.

At the end of the day, it's not fair to Charlotte to compare it to Atlanta. Atlanta's peer cities are DFW, Houston, Washington, and Miami.
Thats has been said more than 10 times

Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
A lot of this 'anti-Charlotte' feeling that Atlantans are alleged to have seems to me to be largely manufactured. Most comments, in fact, seem to be a reaction to provocative comments made that try to portray Charlotte as Atlanta's peer (or in some bizarre cases, its' superior) in scale and scope.
It simply isn't. But I, for one, don't penalize a city for it's size...in most cases size doen't matter to me.
This Atlantan thinks Charlotte is a lovely, livable and thriving city with a brilliant future...and I would surmise that most Atlanta posters feel the same way if unprovoked.
Bingo!

I totally agree with everything you state here.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
I truly don't understand this alleged rivalry between Charlotte and Atlanta. We've lived here most of our lives and have never heard of such a thing.

In my opinion they're different but complementary cities. Charlotte is highly admired for its banking industry and the great strides it is making in transportation. As LovinDecatur says, Charlotte is thriving and no doubt has a great future ahead. By contrast Atlanta is known far and wide as a capital of hip hop culture, as the country's preeminent mecca for African Americans and as the home of a world class airport. Why should they compete?

Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Bingo!

I totally agree with everything you state here.
Well John and Lovin,you guys are right and I respect your opinions.Because Charlotte is NO rival of Atlanta's why would anyone be upset that Charlotte is walking in Atlanta's footsteps.Charlotte is definitely a compliment to Atlanta.Its like watching your namesake in college make the deans list.One day after he graduates he will join you in the family business and who knows eventually take over.

I likened some of these "were on the same level as Atlanta"posters as nothing more than Junior who has many gifts but lacks wisdom and experience.Sometime Junior needs to be put back in his place and told "in due time".

Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Charlotte. Wants to be recognized in the same fashion as Atlanta..they don't wanna be in the shadows of Atlanta.. So everytime they gain something they have to run and tell it. Usually they tell it too Atlanta, since Atlanta is the bigger and dominate city in region. Then we have to tell them for every one thing in Charlotte there multiple offerings in Atlanta.. Boils down to size, scale and scope.. Right now Charlotte needs another 30 years to reach the size.scope and scale

Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
When I first saw Buckhead's Peachtree Road makeover, I was floored. It looked more like a fancy shopping district in Chicago or Miami. They did a great job. It's only about 1/3 of a mile long though. And even though this treatment is planned all the way to Midtown (and for Piedmont Road, too), none of us will live to see either road completed. It's going to take decades and hundreds of millions of dollars. But they couldn't have done a better job regarding Phase I.

And remember, private citizens and businesses made this project happen, even though someone said that GDOT eventually chipped in.

Hey Charlotte fans, y'all do realize that Hugh McColl's personal desire for a 60-story tower along with 2 or 3 other singular egos at competing banks are all that's behind this "big city" transformation.

I love Charlotte's skyline, but's it's a bit too tall for the city it represents. Charlotte is very much medium size American city, and until it has mega-freeways spanning 75 miles across, through 3 or 4 area codes (like Atlanta), people might laugh at the mere suggestion of comparing the two.

Last edited by architect77; 10-20-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Hey Charlotte fans, y'all do realize that Hugh McColl's personal desire for a 60-story tower along with 2 or 3 other singular egos at competing banks are all that's behind this "big city" transformation.
Yep, Hugh McColl and Ed Crutchfield and their "friendly rivalry" are what's largely responsible for the Charlotte that we see growing up before our eyes now. If you ask me, it's pretty remarkable what individuals like that have done for the city, taking advantage of the liberal banking reforms that the state and federal governments enacted over time. In this regard, Charlotte's evolution as a large, fast-growing modern metropolitan area isn't too much different than Atlanta's. For Atlanta, the impetus was local leaders regarding the airport and from there, things just took off (pun intended). For Charlotte, it's the two I mentioned earlier and it yet remains to be seen who will come to build on this foundation.

Quote:
I love Charlotte's skyline, but's it's a bit too tall for the city it represents. Charlotte is very much medium size American city, and until it has mega-freeways spanning 75 miles across, through 3 or 4 area codes (like Atlanta), people might laugh at the mere suggestion of comparing the two.
I'm not understand what you mean when you say that Charlotte's skyline is a "bit too tall" for the city it represents. Skylines are driven more by economy and not population. Banks simply lend themselves to tall, attention-grabbing highrises. And I pray I'm long gone before I see the day that Charlotte has "mega-freeways spanning 75 miles across." And metro Charlotte actually does have three area codes (704 and 980 in NC, 803 in SC).

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 10-20-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta