Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to plan a beach vacation for Memorial Day Weekend. Anyone know of a location in Mexico or the Caribbean that typically has reasonable flights from Atlanta? I've only looked up a few places so far (Antigua, Aruba, Cabo San Lucas) but flights are $700-$800. The cheapest seems to be Cancun ($400 on airtran).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Unless you can snag some kind of last minute sale, that's unfortunately about as good as it gets from here Go Blue 99. Keep watching the fares on a daily basis, and you might get lucky.

Every now and then you might just catch a deal to Cozumel (CZM). You also might want to check Punta Cana (PUJ) in the Domincan Republic. Beautiful beaches, not too many Americans and lot's of nice all-inclusive resorts to pick from.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
What do you consider cheap? What kind of budget are you working with?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Unless you can snag some kind of last minute sale, that's unfortunately about as good as it gets from here Go Blue 99. Keep watching the fares on a daily basis, and you might get lucky.

Every now and then you might just catch a deal to Cozumel (CZM). You also might want to check Punta Cana (PUJ) in the Domincan Republic. Beautiful beaches, not too many Americans and lot's of nice all-inclusive resorts to pick from.

Good luck!
Punta Cana is one of my top choices actually. Even the upscale all-inclusives are having some great sales right now. Unfortunately the flights are $700. I'm hoping to keep it under $500.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM

You can't go wrong there, truly wonderful place.

While I hate to say this and would never endorse them, your best bet may be on Spirit. You would have to connect in Ft. Lauderdale, but they are usually the cheapest (in every way). Be forwarned however - they have a horrible habit of mis-connecting their passengers at the Ft. Lauderdale hub. I have at least 5 friends that have been stranded on them overnight with NO acccommodation.

You truly do get what you pay for!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM

239 posts, read 922,500 times
You can also check the vacation package websites. I've found some pretty good deals for vacation plus air on www.applevacations.com. The cheapest deals normally involve a connecting fight if you're willing to do that.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Good advice, DPAT.

We also have a hometown version of Apple, www.vacationexpress.com .Vacation Express has way better customer service compared to Apple, IMO.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
I 2nd the idea on connecting flights...you always have to pay a premium for a non-stop flight. I just came back from Antigua, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Dominica and St. Lucia and can recommend all of those islands. Farther away from most of the American islands flavored and catered to islands and beach locations (Cancun, PR, USVI, Bahamas. Mexico) but well worth it for the natural beauty and beaches and remoteness and people

Punta Cana is nice and for a family on a budget All-Inclusive is the way to go.

Vacation Express is based out of Atlanta and has super deals Mexico, Caribbean and Costa Rica All Inclusive Vacation Packages - Vacation Express.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-08-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
I have a "time share" of sorts in Mexico. It's for all GOURMET inclusive resorts and we have enjoyed it. It is in the Riveria Maya area which is beautiful. Unfortunately we purchased it when we lived in Ft. Lauderdale and have not used it as much as we would like since moving to GA because of the cost of flights. I do believe that Spirit is now going to be offereing non-stop to Cancun from Atlanta.

If you are interested in using one of our weeks, PM me and I will share details.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Ditto all the Previous posters recs. I was going to suggest Spirit also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: