Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
No police or firemen have been fired in Atlanta either.

Let me explain the projected deficit more clearly. Atlanta like most governments periodically have audits of the city's finances. They look at incoming revenue versus financial obligations and project that over the remainder of the fiscal year. What the $50 million represents is that the current financial obligations for the remainder of the fiscal year is estimated to be $50 million more than revenue coming into the general fund. City revenues are down by nearly 13 percent so far this fiscal year therefore cuts had to be made. IT IS NOT LOSING ANYTHING.
Don't bother to educate these people who insist that the city lost 74 million or 140 millions. They have no idea on the meaning of budget deficit. Now how Shirley handled the mismangement of her CFO is my biggest beef, but no one lost anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Don't bother to educate these people who insist that the city lost 74 million or 140 millions. They have no idea on the meaning of budget deficit. Now how Shirley handled the mismangement of her CFO is my biggest beef, but no one lost anything.
I'm with you. I have a lot of disagreements with Franklin's term in office but some of the criticism that I hear from suburbanites and here is just way off base.

Last edited by J2rescue; 01-10-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
People that wish for Campbell to return must have really lousy short-term memories.

Shirley hasn't been perfect, but she got a standing ovation from the business community the other day at her final State of the City speech. Bill Campbell wouldn't even return their calls, let alone be seen in the same room with them.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as my Mom used to say.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
People that wish for Campbell to return must have really lousy short-term memories.

Shirley hasn't been perfect, but she got a standing ovation from the business community the other day at her final State of the City speech. Bill Campbell wouldn't even return their calls, let alone be seen in the same room with them.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as my Mom used to say.
First I will state, NO to Campbell, but in regard to the business leaders standing. All pomp, no substance. The Queen of the Lapel Flower does not get props.
Heck if it wasn't for the kindness of Bernie Marcus and Art Blank we would have lost Coke's HQ to Charlotte due to her bull headedness in regard to the panhandling. Also, thanks to her tax and spend wonders, BoA announced via the Atlanta Biz Chronicle that they are packing and moving everything out of downtown to Charlotte's HQ. No, this is not due to the current economy.

Wow, the Sewer Queen is "America's Mayor" since she is better than Campbell. Better than a convicted felon now that's an accomplishment. I'm sure if she took better appreciated for our fair city instead of taking tours of Communist China and Africa on the taxpayers dime, along with cleaning up the streets of panhandling etc., the city would be much better off. Let's hope in 09 the general population wises up and actually elect's someone who really does give a damn about the city more than their type of giant flower on their collar. I'm sure she will have the full support of the FOP and Firefighters

Kev, was tired of seeing you take the bullets alone. It's usually this poor pheasant that receives the stone's for daring to comment about our city royalty.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'm with you. I have a lot of disagreements with Franklin's term in office but some of the criticism that I hear from suburbanites and here is just way off base.
Yes, we evil surburbanites just HATE Atlanta. On the contrary, we actually think Atlanta has the full opportunity to be the jewel of the Southeast. Think about all the growth we have and continue to have in the MSA. Atlanta could really be the New York City of the South in regard to identity. I think all folks in Georgia rather city or burb, want Atlanta to be the best it can be. What it has settled for over the last decade has been medocraty.

What Atlanta needs is leadership that LOVES this CITY more than they LOVE THEMSELVES. A leadership group that wishes to place PUBLIC SERVICE and EXCELLENCE over CRONYISM and PERSONAL GAIN.
New York had it with Rudy, Philly had it with Rendell, and Charlotte has it now with Pat McCrory.

Frankly, if you had this the Atlanta board would be more celebration than sadness.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM

So Georgia, who do like for Mayor now that Clark has dropped out of the race?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So Georgia, who do like for Mayor now that Clark has dropped out of the race?
Right now, ugh! I really thought Howard would do a good job as he can transend across party lines along with being a uniter. I did feel that he would back out mostly due to his current celeb status and TV deal.

Now, who do we have.

Councilman Ceaser Mitchell
Councilwoman Mary Norwood
Atty Jesse Spikes
Sen. Kasim Reed

Almost reminds me of the past US Election between Oh God and Oh My God

It will boil down to
Fiscal responsiblity
Love of the City
Strong Business Friendly leadership
and Tough on Crime.

I will wait for my monthly Atlanta Magazine (Wow! a burb guy subscribes to Atlanta Magazine and The Atlanta Business Chronicle) and see word for word where they actually stand. Heck, who knows if we can garner a leader who loves Atlanta I may even buy a pad on Peachtree

Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks! Good response.

I was extremely supportive of Lisa Borders, but she dropped out too. It should be very interesting, that's for sure.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
No police or firemen have been fired in Atlanta either.

Let me explain the projected deficit more clearly. Atlanta like most governments periodically have audits of the city's finances. They look at incoming revenue versus financial obligations and project that over the remainder of the fiscal year. What the $50 million represents is that the current financial obligations for the remainder of the fiscal year is estimated to be $50 million more than revenue coming into the general fund. City revenues are down by nearly 13 percent so far this fiscal year therefore cuts had to be made. IT IS NOT LOSING ANYTHING.
If this was Detroit, I might buy the "revenue down" crap but when I look around everyday and see perhaps a dozen cranes in the skyline and see a booming population and a city that is, when compared to many others, in relatively good shape, revenues should be UP and not down.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Yes, we evil surburbanites just HATE Atlanta. On the contrary, we actually think Atlanta has the full opportunity to be the jewel of the Southeast. Think about all the growth we have and continue to have in the MSA. Atlanta could really be the New York City of the South in regard to identity. I think all folks in Georgia rather city or burb, want Atlanta to be the best it can be. What it has settled for over the last decade has been medocraty.

What Atlanta needs is leadership that LOVES this CITY more than they LOVE THEMSELVES. A leadership group that wishes to place PUBLIC SERVICE and EXCELLENCE over CRONYISM and PERSONAL GAIN.
New York had it with Rudy, Philly had it with Rendell, and Charlotte has it now with Pat McCrory.

Frankly, if you had this the Atlanta board would be more celebration than sadness.
I agree. I actually do care about the city- I work there. And like I said before, I would not object to paying a commuter tax to Atlanta - much like Birmingham has- so long as the city is professionally ran and the money is used for what it is supposed to be used for. I am starting to think that maybe Atlanta should change to a City Manager form of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta