Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM

49 posts, read 175,141 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just moved in into US and plan to live here for a year (short-term relocation from my home office back in Europe). I wanted to use this opportunity to let my kids develop English speaking skills and simply immerse a bit in American culture.

I thought the best way to do that, would be to enroll them for some pre-school program (couple hours a day). I thought it would give them good opportunity to get educated in terms of communication in new language and socialize with new friends. It would also give my wife some time to go out and do her stuff.

I am not sure however if and how I could do that. I rent a house in an area West of Murphey Candler park, south of Perimeter mall and 285. I planned to just drive around and see if I can spot some schools here. But maybe you have some suggestions? My kids are 2.5 and 4.5 years old. They don't speak English yet - but I'm sure they'll learn it quickly. I know that in US religious affiliation is an important issue, so I might add that I am Catholic but open to all Christian and non-religious schools.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
You are just going to have to start calling around... not much else you can do... to see who has space and can accommodate your children. It may be difficult to find a school near you that has spaces open for both kids, but in this economy you might get lucky.

Here is a list of most of the preschools in Dunwoody area which I got from an ad about a preschool information session next week.

the ones with the stars may be to far away.

All Saints Catholic Church
Chamblee Methodist
The Day School at Sandy Springs*
Dunwoody Baptist
Dunwoody Methodist
Kingswood Methodist
Montessori School of Dunwoody
Mt. Vernon Presbyterian*
North Atlanta Church of Christ*
North Springs Methodist*
New Hope*
St. Luke's Presbyterian
St. Martin's Episcopal
Sandy Springs Methodist*
Weinstein School at JCC
Winters Chapel United Methodist*

There is this information session about preschools in the area next week...

16 representatives from local preschools and surrounding areas
will be available to talk to parents about their preschool programs.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009
10:00 to 12 noon
St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church
1978 Mt. Vernon Road in Dunwoody

Free Childcare will be provided.

Directions: From the intersection of Chamblee-Dunwoody and Mt. Vernon, head east on Mt. Vernon. St. Luke's will be about 1/2 mile on your left. The Preschool Open House will be held in the church's Great Hall.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
All Saints Catholic Church
Chamblee Methodist
The Day School at Sandy Springs*
Dunwoody Baptist
Dunwoody Methodist
Kingswood Methodist
Montessori School of Dunwoody
Mt. Vernon Presbyterian*
North Atlanta Church of Christ*
North Springs Methodist*
New Hope*
St. Luke's Presbyterian
St. Martin's Episcopal
Sandy Springs Methodist*
Weinstein School at JCC
Winters Chapel United Methodist*
thanks - would any of these be recommended by anyone?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darekk View Post
thanks - would any of these be recommended by anyone?
St Martin's is quite good (my daughter went there), and it's close to you (Ashford-Dunwoody at Windsor Pkwy).

Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
You may have a bit of a challenge if the kids don't speak any English- it's alot to ask of a teacher to just drop a kid into class without any comprehension of the language that's being spoken. Some folks fee such "immersion" is the best way to learn the language, and I might agree for kids who are a bit older, but I'm not so sure about kids at 2 and 4.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You may have a bit of a challenge if the kids don't speak any English- it's alot to ask of a teacher to just drop a kid into class without any comprehension of the language that's being spoken. Some folks fee such "immersion" is the best way to learn the language, and I might agree for kids who are a bit older, but I'm not so sure about kids at 2 and 4.
It's really exactly the opposite...the younger a child is, the easier and more quickly he/she will pick up a new language. As they get older and develop language skills in their native language, it becomes more natural and therefore increasingly difficult to learn a different language.

Teachers have to deal with non-English speaking students all the time...I've had several in my classes over the past 10 years. A strategy like seating the child beside another child who speaks the same language but is proficient in English will help, and the child will pick up words and phrases very quickly by hearing other students and the teacher. The main thing teachers should do with a non-English speaker is to reassure the student and let him/her know not to be afraid. The parents, if they speak English, can let the child know as well.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
I have heard good things about almost every preschool on the list. In your part of town, preschool access is as much as about available space as it is about quality. Does that make sense? It is fairly difficult to secure preschool space in the Chamblee-Dunwoody area. You are just going to have to call around to see who even has space for this year. It won't be simple.

All Saints' program is relatively new and so you might get lucky there. It is just down the road in Dunwoody. Weinstein School at the JCC is a fairly large program and so they might have spaces as well.

Otherwise, I would start with Chamblee Methodist and St. Martins for convenience. Then I would check with all the un-starred schools on the list. This way you are sticking closer to home.

Again, I think you will be fortunate to find spaces for both kids in the same program. Most of the programs are fairly small (ie one, maybe two, classes of the same age groups.)

Let me know how it goes.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's really exactly the opposite...the younger a child is, the easier and more quickly he/she will pick up a new language. As they get older and develop language skills in their native language, it becomes more natural and therefore increasingly difficult to learn a different language.

Teachers have to deal with non-English speaking students all the time...I've had several in my classes over the past 10 years. A strategy like seating the child beside another child who speaks the same language but is proficient in English will help, and the child will pick up words and phrases very quickly by hearing other students and the teacher. The main thing teachers should do with a non-English speaker is to reassure the student and let him/her know not to be afraid. The parents, if they speak English, can let the child know as well.
friends of our were living in Poland for a year or two, put their three year old in the local pre school and she was speaking the language in a matter of weeks. The younger, the better.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM

thank's guys!

i'll be on the phone to those schools today

wish me luck

Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM

okay
so we were lucky to find a place for both kids in the same facility

it will be sandy springs united methodist church preschool

any good or negative comments?

thanks again, guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta