Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 PM

118 posts, read 597,359 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were recently in Watkinsville and really took a liking to it. We were just wondering if any of you are from there that might care to comment on your town.

We are from Ca. and while I know that many might be turned off by that, we believe we would be nothing but an asset as we embrace your way of life, religeous beliefs, morals and politics (Christian conservatives).

That's the reason were leaving Ca., we just don't fit in and are not willing to accept "status quo" here.

We have two boys, 10 and almost 6. We're into huntin, fishin, dirt bikes, camping and having a good time with friends.

I've read about Watkinsville here on City-Data but many of the posts are old.

Can anybody give us an opinion on this town?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
I know several people who live in Watkinsville are really like it. The big question is, what will you be doing for work, as it's too far to commute to the Atlanta metro, and there's not a whole lot out that way other than possibly some positions at/around UGA.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks Bob.

I am self employed and in the Insurance industry. I can service my existing book of business from anywhere. We would likely open an agency wherever we land.

We do mostly personal lines insurance, auto, home etc. and a little commercial too.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,429 times
Watkinsville is the place in metro Athens to go if you have kids in public schools. My understanding is that Athens city schools are not as good, so if you are in ACC then you would probably want to go to a private school.

I like Athens better, but with kids in school, Watkinsville is a much better bet!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks. We had heard that too. Oconee schools are supposed to be great schools and that was the first reason we started looking there.

We only spent about 3 days in that area but much of it was in Athens. I love Athens, I think I'm the only Dawg fan in CA. We really need to plan a trip to come back and really start investigating a bit more seriously.

I don't recall seeing much there. Beautiful homes and wonderful people but not much retail. We like that! I don't even recall seeing a grocery store but according to Google Maps, theres a few.

Are there any other small towns like Watkinsville in North GA. that any of you would recommend? I mean strong family oriented communities, safe, good schools etc. Mayberry if you will.

On our last trip there, we went to several small towns: Dahlonega, Dawsonville, Ball Ground, Ellijay, etc. Three years ago we had gone thru Buford and Cumming area's but when we went back this last time, it just didn't grab us like it had before and I'm not even sure I can pinpoint why.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

bump.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Sorry to bump again, just hoping someone from the area can chime in.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,429 times
well, I'm not sure on how family oriented these areas are, but they are wonderful towns every time I go through...

Madison - awsome small town, town square and all...half hour from Athens close to I 20.
Jefferson - nice even smaller town...half hour from Athens, even closer to Gainesville and close to 85
Winder - nice town, but not so sure on the schools..

I'm sure others will chime in on these and other towns around Athens...with schools as a consideration Watkinsville may be best...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,380 times
Monroe is nice, but the schools are spotty.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM

74 posts, read 173,565 times
Winder has some bad schools and is mostly poorer people intown. It is developing on the northside around I85, but In would not want my kids in the schools there.
Jefferson is further out I-85 and is developing rapidly.
You may want to look at Walton County; it is about 20 miles west of Athens and is beginning to grow very rapidly there, but still has that country feel. Monroe is a good town in Walton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta