Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM

340 posts, read 704,401 times

Advertisements

I would be interested to hear exactly what repercussions are feared to be exacted in the mind of the professor of the class - would legislation be passed that any future elected politician must be a certain color? would legislation be passed to prevent voting for certain politicians?

Is this professor trying to manufacture a crutch for the politicians that could 'gasp' lose their seat to a gasp 'white person'?

Is not the purpose of government as we know it to provide an environment of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - and to lend a helping hand when needed?

In line with the professor's class - should everyone who does not have a black parent and white parent be worried about dire repercussions now that Barrack will be sworn in on Tuesday?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShericeForte View Post
To respond, I am not a resident of Atlanta. We are learning about Atlanta (The CITY, not the metro) because the city has been known for the last 35 years as a black political stronghold. There will be repercussions if blacks lose control of the political system in the City of Atlanta, and the point of this was to study if and when it will happen, what is being done about it, and how it will affect blacks.

Atlanta was the first major city to elect a black mayor. It will be a serious blow to the black community across the nation if a city known for black leadership elects a white mayor.
I agreed with you up until you started talking about "repurcussions" and "blows" if African-Americans "lose control" of the political structure of Atlanta.

Is that what you really believe? On the eve - literally - of the nation's first African-American president taking office, do you really think the point of all the struggles that have been undergone for African Americans to reach positions of political leadership is simply for existing black leaders to cynically cling to power?

Wow. If that's the case, that would be a pretty cynical way of viewing things, don't you think?

My whole understanding of what Barack Obama, for example, represents is that with his ascension to the presidency skin color might possibly start having a little less importance. As far as I know, it did not mean that when he gets to the end of his 4 or 8 yrs. or whatever the thought would ever cross his mind that the next president better be black too or else it will be a "blow" to African Americans everywhere.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
To respond, I am not a resident of Atlanta. We are learning about Atlanta (The CITY, not the metro) because the city has been known for the last 35 years as a black political stronghold. There will be repercussions if blacks lose control of the political system in the City of Atlanta, and the point of this was to study if and when it will happen, what is being done about it, and how it will affect blacks.

Atlanta was the first major city to elect a black mayor. It will be a serious blow to the black community across the nation if a city known for black leadership elects a white mayor.

First of all, Atlanta was the first major Southern city to elect a black mayor.

Second, you need to go through and read all of the posts on this thread. "Atlanta" means the entire metro area...the significance of black power/influence that you keep talking about is not going anywhere. Atlanta is still a place with a very large black population that is growing fast.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,806 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. What repercussions? Across the nation? The nation is looking to US to maintain this black political stronghold? The ENTIRE nation? Oh come on! I would love to read this case study or information you all are reading to come to this conclusion!

And Atlanta is not just the city as someone stated in an earlier post...it is SEVERAL zip codes and ranges from the inner city to some of the suburban parts. Here are the Atlanta zip codes:

Atlanta Zip Codes - Georgia

Are any other cities in danger of this?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Am I the only one on here who thinks that these statements are racist? The sad thing is, she is not the only one who thinks like this. I did some research and found some interesting articles on the subject:

Atlanta Mayor: Shrinking Black Population Could Hurt Social Policies

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/mayorhome/blackleaderseditorial.pdf (broken link)

Both kind of old, but scary that our own mayor seems to agree with the OP.

And yes, if demographic trends continue, there possibly could be a white mayor of Atlanta within the next 5 years. And please, dont pretend like a white mayor could have ever gotten elected until the city became more diverse. Take a look at all the mayoral elections since 1973 that had white candidates.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Am I the only one on here who thinks that these statements are racist? The sad thing is, she is not the only one who thinks like this. I did some research and found some interesting articles on the subject:

Atlanta Mayor: Shrinking Black Population Could Hurt Social Policies (http://www.coxwashington.com/news/content/reporters/stories/2007/06/06/BC_FRANKLIN_URBAN02_COX.html - broken link)

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/mayorhome/blackleaderseditorial.pdf (broken link)
In defense of Franklin, I think she has a point. Is there a sense in which she's exploiting a simple-minded fear that blacks losing majority in Atlanta is tantamount to returning to the days of fire-hosing helpless black citizens? Maybe.

But in general her point is perfectly valid that as Atlanta's black population has been the historical 'carrier' of the principles of diversity in the region (and to some extent beyond), principles which to put it lightly have not had many champions in the state leadership including in the doughnut around the city of Atlanta, to see this population drain off into the amorphous surrounding areas w/o an accompanying political structure to carry on that legacy does at the very least bring with it the risk of losing this historical relationship (between blacks and the principle of upholding diversity for all). Maybe you don't ultimately agree with it, but as an argument, it's valid.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,731 times
Quote:
Am I the only one on here who thinks that these statements are racist?
I just saw the thread and I was thinking the exact same thing. Only a racist would be concerned about the color of the Mayors skin. When you step inside the voting booth you cast your vote for the person who you think is best for the job.

Last edited by gvillager; 01-18-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM

340 posts, read 704,401 times
WilliamM --- now that sounds like a college course worthy of a healthy debate - I can only hope that the Howard professor teaching the class in question follows that line of reasoning...

maybe the original poster added her own spin and seeming bitterness and cynicism to the phrasing of the original question...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Quote:
Hello, I am a senior at Howard University in Washington majoring in Sociology. One of my courses deals with contemporary social issues in the black community.

We looked at a case study involving Atlanta and how it is losing its black residents. If this continues, the blacks could lose political control of the city. We also learned that for the first time in years a white candidate has a chance of winning the mayoral election this year!

Atlanta has always been a center of black political dominance. Something needs to be done so we do not lose this asset to the black community.

Are people in Atlanta not worried that the whites could gain political control of the city if this continues?
Seriously, are you actually posing this question? What exactly has Atlanta gained from black political leadership by far?

We've seen the erosion of Fulton county (Sandy Springs, City of of Milton, and John's Creek), hundreds of Atlanta City workers their lost jobs(majority black), thanks to the lack of oversight by many black mayors past over maintenance of the sewer system cost of the repairs will go up to at least 4 billion dollars, resulting in higher water bills and ultimately forcing out many of the older black residents who will not be able to afford it, and finally Mayor Franklin will more than likely leave office with Atlanta's debt just as high as when she came in, if not higher.

This type of stupid, racialized thinking is why Georgia can never become more than what it is! Here I was hoping that this sort of nonsense would leave the world when the babyboomers and the older generation die off, but so much for that. Now a new generation is being is poisoned with this unevolved, unenlightened mindset.

Will us Georgians ever get to a point in the future where we elect people on the content of their character and the skills they bring to the political office?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM

51 posts, read 163,898 times
Quote:

Atlanta Mayor: Shrinking Black Population Could Hurt Social Policies (http://www.coxwashington.com/news/content/reporters/stories/2007/06/06/BC_FRANKLIN_URBAN02_COX.html - broken link)

Both kind of old, but scary that our own mayor seems to agree with the OP.

And yes, if demographic trends continue, there possibly could be a white mayor of Atlanta within the next 5 years. And please, dont pretend like a white mayor could have ever gotten elected until the city became more diverse. Take a look at all the mayoral elections since 1973 that had white candidates.
As if a Mayor of any other color could have been elected before 1973 ?

Anyway, my message to the OP, do NOT consider a Black face, Black power. Blacks have never had power in politics in this country. These people are only bourgeoisie puppets who ultimately answer to the corporate elite of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta