Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,680 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a senior at Howard University in Washington majoring in Sociology. One of my courses deals with contemporary social issues in the black community.

We looked at a case study involving Atlanta and how it is losing its black residents. If this continues, the blacks could lose political control of the city. We also learned that for the first time in years a white candidate has a chance of winning the mayoral election this year!

Atlanta has always been a center of black political dominance. Something needs to be done so we do not lose this asset to the black community.

Are people in Atlanta not worried that the whites could gain political control of the city if this continues?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM

51 posts, read 163,912 times
Whites have always had political and economic control Of Atlanta. So what are you talking about ?

Don't ever confuse a Black face, with Black Power.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
dont they teach the folly of political systems developing racial bias at howard? e.g. 3rd reich?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
If this is the question than Atlanta is in trouble. We need to elect the person best suited to lead the city without regard for their race. If we elect someone simply because of their race then we are in deep trouble as a city.

It is people who think "Something needs to be done so we do not lose this asset to the black community." that frighten me.

The question needs to be "Who will best lead Atlanta in these trying economic times". Nothing else.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Does it matter what race runs the Atlanta goverment? People keep saying Atlanta is loosing its black they are talking about in the city limits. Most of the Blacks are just moving into the suburbs they're not leaving the entire area

Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM

340 posts, read 704,455 times
I am curious to see the point of the lecture in your class...

Is it a dialog to continue the race debate? Is it a concern about having role models for young people of the same color? Is it about a youth trying to build self confidence by having something bigger than themselves to identify with?

Is this question formed by people who do not live in Atlanta and are concerned about a major city with a high crime rate, worst SAT scores in the metro Atlanta area, inability of politicians elected by the people who cannot manage a budget? the county jail being under Federal supervision due to poor leadership? and is this question formed by people who want to improve this situation that the city finds itself in...AND to raise the collective personal effectiveness and well being of the electorate of the city?

OR is this a tired old argument?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,935 times
I'm black Atlanta native, and honestly, I could care less WHAT race gets elected. As long as they are qualified to do the job, who cares?

As someone stated before, you need to specify city limits, because Atlanta is VERY huge. Do a little bit more research about the particular parts of "Atlanta" you are speaking of. There are so many zip codes that represent "Atlanta" it's unbelievable If you want to know the truth, I don't think whites ever "lost" control of Atlanta. Do a little more research on the topic and you will see that. The only people that will lose control of Atlanta are ignorant people and ignorance goes across race boundaries.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 PM

340 posts, read 704,455 times
I forgot....who are "the whites"?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM

421 posts, read 1,727,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraised atl View Post
I forgot....who are "the whites"?
You know, The Man.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM

421 posts, read 1,727,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShericeForte View Post

Are people in Atlanta not worried that the whites could gain political control of the city if this continues?
Why would any major metropolitan area only want leadership that represents one race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta