Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about the many places I have lived. Eleven homes all told. I have finally reached that place in my life where my husband and I are the older (not oldest) couple in the neighborhood. We get the waves when we are out in the yard, and do speak to several, but now I know the feeling of not totally being with the "in crowd". I feel bad that I didn't pay attention to the nice little lady down the street way back then. I guess this is the way of life, and I am by no means lonely, but in hindsight I wish I had stopped to chat more often with "that nice lady down the street".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Make it a point to walk by the bus stop (elementary school) in the am or pm....you can be exercising or walking the pet. Its the best way to get to know people in your neighborhood. Stop and chat. Trust me this works.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Make it a point to walk by the bus stop (elementary school) in the am or pm....you can be exercising or walking the pet. Its the best way to get to know people in your neighborhood. Stop and chat. Trust me this works.

Thank you, I do make it a point to stop and chat with people.......I love to talk. I guess I was more or less feeling the guilt of not going out of my way when I was younger to get to know the older people, the wiser ones. I could have learned a lot if only I had asked.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Jude, don't get too hard on yourself. Good post.

On one note, yes, we do tend to "avoid" older people sometimes when in fact, we should give them some of our time to talk, listen, etc. On the other hand, we've all been "trapped" by some older folks who seize this as an opportunity to discuss the events of the last 80 years of their life with you - in detail. After a few of those, we tend to assume all older folks are going to corner us in that way and we run from them like the plague. Maybe it's a more common fault that more of us have than we're willing to admit.

Slight deviation of topic: I know a local business owner who actually isn't that old. He's in his early 60s. But he's a talker for sure, and definitely very old deep South in nature. He has driven away many a customer who later I run into and they admit not going to his place, because he'll start chatting and chatting....and when they say, "Well, I really need to get back to work now" and get up to leave, he'll FOLLOW them out the door to their cars and continue to add new parts of the conversation. Finally, they stop coming around altogether to avoid him. So, to any older folks who deep down know they have a habit of this, I say, "Please, enjoy people who stop to talk - but um.. know when to stop, too".

That being said, we need to not avoid older folks when we see them. Stop to say hello, ask how they are, talk about the weather - whatever. Chit Chat a few minutes. Wave. Offer to mow their yard now and then if they seem like they can't get to it, or buy them a newspaper subscription or gift card or basket at Christmas if you know they're on a fixed income, etc etc. If they start the life story thing all the time, just learn the fine art of very politely saying, "I have someone waiting for me at home, I must leave now but we'll talk later...", and just walk away. You CAN be polite and sociable without having to give up half your day and be rude.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Jude, don't get too hard on yourself. Good post.

On one note, yes, we do tend to "avoid" older people sometimes when in fact, we should give them some of our time to talk, listen, etc. On the other hand, we've all been "trapped" by some older folks who seize this as an opportunity to discuss the events of the last 80 years of their life with you - in detail. After a few of those, we tend to assume all older folks are going to corner us in that way and we run from them like the plague. Maybe it's a more common fault that more of us have than we're willing to admit.

Slight deviation of topic: I know a local business owner who actually isn't that old. He's in his early 60s. But he's a talker for sure, and definitely very old deep South in nature. He has driven away many a customer who later I run into and they admit not going to his place, because he'll start chatting and chatting....and when they say, "Well, I really need to get back to work now" and get up to leave, he'll FOLLOW them out the door to their cars and continue to add new parts of the conversation. Finally, they stop coming around altogether to avoid him. So, to any older folks who deep down know they have a habit of this, I say, "Please, enjoy people who stop to talk - but um.. know when to stop, too".

That being said, we need to not avoid older folks when we see them. Stop to say hello, ask how they are, talk about the weather - whatever. Chit Chat a few minutes. Wave. Offer to mow their yard now and then if they seem like they can't get to it, or buy them a newspaper subscription or gift card or basket at Christmas if you know they're on a fixed income, etc etc. If they start the life story thing all the time, just learn the fine art of very politely saying, "I have someone waiting for me at home, I must leave now but we'll talk later...", and just walk away. You CAN be polite and sociable without having to give up half your day and be rude.

You are good person!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,411 times
Hello jude,
I´am an older women too, who´s life is just about to be uprooted and turned about. My daughter is thinking about moving to the Atlanta area and if she does, so do I. Mind you I´am living in Germany now and have absolutely no idea what to expect. I have a granddaughter that lives in Peachtree City and this seems like a wonderful place. Is it????
Please write me a few lines, I would appreciate it very much
Have a nice day Silvie

Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvie1 View Post
Hello jude,
I´am an older women too, who´s life is just about to be uprooted and turned about. My daughter is thinking about moving to the Atlanta area and if she does, so do I. Mind you I´am living in Germany now and have absolutely no idea what to expect. I have a granddaughter that lives in Peachtree City and this seems like a wonderful place. Is it????
Have a nice day Silvie
Hi Silvie,

I love Atlanta, We have lived all over the country. Cold and warm climates. Right now we are having a cold snap, but usually it doesn't last long. I consider our winter to be very pleasant. Spring and fall are wonderful, but the summers are hot and humid. But that is what air conditioners are for.

I am located North West of Atlanta.Peachtree City is south of Atlanta. We looked there a few years ago when we became empty nesters. We were considering an area for 55+, but at that time there was not much available. I have not been there since, but I have heard lovely things about it. You can live in a community and actually get around by a golfcart on their own paths. I am sure there are people who will read this and can add to my comments.

I have never been to Germany. Would love to go sometime. Keep me posted as to what you decide to do.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvie1 View Post
Hello jude,
Have a nice day Silvie

Hello Silvie--

I would say (and I think many would agree), Peachtree City is one of the best cities/places for an "older person." Golf carts, beautiful setting, metropolitan convenience, close to the airport, still "country-like", comfortably suburban, etc.

Peachtree City...excellent choice.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
I live in Peachtree City and many of the older people that are here do think it is a great place to live.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Thank you, I do make it a point to stop and chat with people.......I love to talk. I guess I was more or less feeling the guilt of not going out of my way when I was younger to get to know the older people, the wiser ones. I could have learned a lot if only I had asked.
So true. I will make a point to get to know my older neighbors better! I do power walk with a group of older women who give me the workout of my life!!! I can't keep up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: