Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 37,096 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Loganville this year, the small part thats located in Gwinnett County. I wanted to know what people think about this area...how are the schools? My daughter will be starting in Pre K. How is it living in this area??

Please send me any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM

74 posts, read 173,654 times
In Gwinnett we have the largest school system (15th largest in the nation) Gwinnett County School Public School System (GCPS) offer some of the best schools in the country, academically and athletically. With the growth over the last decade there has been more and more school involvement with and by the community. Grayson, Brookwood, South Gwinnett, and Parkview along with Greater Atlanta Christian School are some of the best schools anywhere academically and athletically.

In recent years, GCPS has:
  • 12 Distingushed Title 1 schools
  • Georgia's Economic Education Program of Excellence
  • An Intel / Scholastic School of Distinction
  • Four Georgia Schools of Excellence
  • Industry- Certified Technical Education Programs
  • National recognition for for system and fine arts programs
  • Eight schools on Newsweek's list of top US High Schools
  • National Awards for after school activities and citizenship
  • One of the top sports programs in the country
  • State and National recognition for excellence in Advance Placement in Math and Science
Under the state's new accountability system, 26 Gwinnett schools were recognized for improving and promoting excellence in academic achievement
Investing in a home in Gwinnett County is also an investment in the future, your children and for the rest of the world.

Gwinnett County parks rated #1 in the Nation
This year Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation was recognized as the number one park agency in the nation. The park system recieved the Grand Gold Metal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management from the National Park and Recreation Association (NPRA) and the American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration (AAPRA).
Every community in the county has access to some of the most beautiful, functional parks in the country. Whether you interested in recreational organized sports, hiking, bike riding, and nature walks or just leisurely spending family time in beautiful surroundings, Gwinnett County is the place to live.
If you have children they have the best athletic programs in the metro area. These programs swimming, softball, baseball, football, tennis, etc. all feed into the local schools such as Brookwood, Parkview, Greater Atlanta Christian School and Grayson High Schools which have some of the country’s top rated teams along with being rated as the top academic schools in the country this year.

In Gwinnett we have some of the best schools in the country, academically and athletically. With the growth over the last decade there has been more and more school involvement with and by the community. Grayson, Brookwood, South Gwinnett, and Parkview along with Greater Atlanta Christian School are some of the best schools anywhere academically and athletically.
The Hwy 78 / 124 corridor is one of the best places to live in the metro Atlanta area with great shopping, commute to work, restaurants, entertainment and local social activities. The grid of interstate and rural highways can put you anywhere on the north side of Atlanta within 30 to 45 minutes. The malls are all within minutes, Gwinnett Place is 15 minutes down Ronald Regan Highway; Mall of Georgia is 20 minutes up Hwy 20; Stonecrest Mall is 25 minutes down Hwy 124; and there is The Avenue at Webb Ginn House in the middle on Hwy 124.
If you have children they have the best athletic programs in the metro area. These programs swimming, softball, baseball, football, tennis, etc. all feed into the local schools such as Brookwood, Parkview, Greater Atlanta Christian School and Grayson High Schools which have some of the country’s top rated teams along with being rated as the top academic schools in the country this year.
The housing market is full of homes in great subdivisons built after 1990 and right now is the time to buy with interest rates still low and if you have good credit you can buy with a FHA loan with 3.5% downpayment. There is a 10 month inventory and some great buys. Come and see Gwinnett, I believe you will be glad you did.

Last edited by B Wagner; 01-21-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 01-22-2009, 01:40 AM

171 posts, read 588,331 times
You make it sound like a brochure from the chamber of commerce

Realistically though...I have heard some horrible things about Snellville Middle School and South Gwinnett High School. Apart from that, the area is fine.

We are zoned for JC Magill here in Loganville. I heard it is an okay school, but the EPA has listed it as a school with air quality problems. I think it is mainly because of TomCO2 down the road.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:08 AM

167 posts, read 769,495 times
I've heard great things about Loganville schools. That area of Gwinnett is also very nice. For Snellville, I haven't heard too many bad things, except for the areas near the DeKalb County line. Snellville as a whole is not bad. Like all areas of Metro Atlanta, there are pockets of less desirable areas.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 37,096 times
hi, thanks for the info. Quick questin for you, i see that you are a real estate agent. Im ready to get a house in Gwinnett county, preferably in the snellville/loganville area. Where should i start? Meaning what are the first steps i should take into becoming a home owner?? your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:04 PM

74 posts, read 173,654 times
First thing anyone should do right now is talk to a mortgage broker. Find out how your credit is and what you need to do to be able to get a mortgage. I see too many people just get in the car and start driving around looking at homes and they have terrible credit and cannot buy a home, even if they see one they like. Don't call a bank, they are not lending money, go to a broker who deals with a wide variety of mortgage packages. FHA is one of the most popular; Expresspath is a mortgage package that Fannie Mae is using to get people into home for $100 down. HUD homes you can buy, if you use it for your primary residence, for $100 down. Also deal with one that is in state and stay off the online sites for credit approval.
Go to a local 1st Time Homeowners Seminar and learn how to shop for a mortgage and how to use a professional REALTOR. A REALTOR cost you nothing as a buyer and can be a great asset in buying a home, new or resale. There experience is well worth the call.
A big misunderstanding is that an agent will cost you something, so just bypass them. In a normal listing the price of the closing and the commissions are fiqured into the price of the home sale. In a normal transaction the agent on a sign represents the buyer; the lawyer at closing represents the mortgage company;the appraisal is done for the mortgage company; if you hire an agent, preferably a REALTOR, they cost you nothing; you get their experience, mortgage consultation, contract consultation, negotiation expertise, etc. for FREE. The listing agent splits their commision with the buyer agent and the seller pays for all of it. They are not going to give you anything off the home, because you go in without an agent representing you. It won't save you a penny.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,258 times
Default Getting out of Stupidville.

Loganville, Snellville. Lawrenceville, Lilburn, esp. Norcross unless you come from Mexico or south america, All the villes. Wouldn't recommend moving here. Job loss is very high. This area is prejudiced against certain ethic and family roots. In other words if you ain't a certain color or you don't have a long family history here you could be out of luck.

This is a very ignorant area as is the whole state. The job market here stinks. There is no good base for employment. There are quite a few rip off companies that will take advantage of you. The weather stinks. You have tornados, hail storms with soft ball size hail. The schools suck. Brookwood sucks. They just move students on.

What are any redeeming values here? There are more broke people here than I have ever seen before. Gettin out while the gettin is good. Don't listen to a re agt pushing this area.

Last edited by Equityhunter; 02-22-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 05:37 PM

43 posts, read 118,301 times
The best part of Loganville is on the northern side of 78. Try to stay in either Grayson or Loganville schools. South Gwinnett is okay, but not the best. There are plenty of parks in the area.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,843 times
I live with my family in loganville on the gwinnett county side. We are currently renting a home in an older neighborhood. Love the house and size of yard;it is great because the newer homes don't offer as much yard for the kids to play. The down side is I will not send my children to South Gwinnett or the middle school that is close to us. Because of this we will be homeschooling of sending them to a private school. They are a long way from being in highschool but if they were of age this would be what I would have to do. South Gwinnett has gone completely downhill! Snellville still has some nice parts but for the most part it is way too crowded and has become more of one race than a nice mix of people which makes you feel uncomfortable at times. Gangs are everywhere obviously but I would recommend you really check out the area you move to beforehand. I have lived in Gwinnett all my life (I'm 33yrs) and areas that used to be really nice have gone downhill in a big way. I still like Grayson and Suwanne though. We will be buying somewhere else because this is not the area I want my children to grow up in.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Loganville is fairly nice but is undergoing a lot of growth.
Snellville is a little more mature but still has a lot of traffic. The area north of Snellville is nice. Especially in the Brookwood district. I'm not sure what Equityhunter is talking about. Brookwood is a very nice school as shown by Greatschools.com. (Just search Brookwood High in Georgia)

You can go to the Gwinnett County Public Schools website and search Brookwood to find the map that shows the district boundaries. I would recommend the areas that feed into Crews Middle rather than Five Forks.

That is, of course, if you choose the Brookwood area. If you don't, I recommend that you stay north of US 78.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta