Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,599 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently living in Johannesburg. South Africa has really gotten out of control in the last 15 years and we are leaving. My wife got a job in Atlanta, so we are moving there! I am just wondering the best place for a European-American to live, as we would prefer an area that is mostly European-American. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Atlanta is a very mixed bag. You won't find any communities that are primarily Europeans. The question is a little strange. Are you looking for areas with people of European descent (white)?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times
Agreed, Atlanta is a melting pot of people from all over. I can tell you about a restaurant that will keep you connected to South Africa.

10 DEGREES SOUTH::::SOUTH AFRICAN CUISINE::::

I would try to look for a home close to your work.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Atlanta is a very mixed bag. You won't find any communities that are primarily Europeans. The question is a little strange. Are you looking for areas with people of European descent (white)?

Yes. Sorry it is confusing. I just see everyone on American forums saying African-Americans so I thought this was used in common American English to identify white people too! Im sorry. I feel like such a foreigner!

Yes, just wonering where most of the whites in Atlanta live?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,952 times
We probably need to know where you guys are working, whether or not you have kids, whether you like city life or something more low key etc etc.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
I agree with kaday. Atlanta is pretty mixed. However, you'll see a lot of the white's in the northern part of Atlanta and northern suburbs.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM

51 posts, read 163,898 times
Maybe you should move out to Forsyth County, Cherokee, or East Cobb to be around "whites".

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,211 times
just a cultural tip: it's no longer socially acceptable in the US to publicly announce any desire to stay away from those that aren't your race. Granted, people still do it- that's why there are majority white, black, hispanic, asian areas of a city- but asking to live in a white area paintsn a picture of racism and discrimination that most people will fault you for. I don't know if you've ever lived in the US before, but our race relations are tricky here, maybe even trickier than they are in South Africa. Don't be surprised if your comments are taken the wrong way.

PS: There are actually some very nice areas of metro Atlanta that are racially mixed or even majority black! Check them out as well

Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfricanMover View Post
Yes. Sorry it is confusing. I just see everyone on American forums saying African-Americans so I thought this was used in common American English to identify white people too! Im sorry. I feel like such a foreigner!

Yes, just wonering where most of the whites in Atlanta live?
You're stepping into a mine field here. Be careful!

No, as you well know, different cultures have different taboos about referring to these things. And being from South Africa I'm sure you've got stories and experiences to stack up against any American. You'll learn as you get further into this.

Americans typically have indirect ways of getting at the same thing here, being very uncomfortable openly admitting they want to live near (or think they should live near) people mainly of the same race. Generally it's taboo for Americans to claim membership to the group of 'European' descendents per se. Maybe for specific historical reasons, Americans simply think in terms of 'white' and 'black' (or African American).

But you'll get a sense of these as you explore more.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
just a cultural tip: it's no longer socially acceptable in the US to publicly announce any desire to stay away from those that aren't your race. Granted, people still do it- that's why there are majority white, black, hispanic, asian areas of a city- but asking to live in a white area paintsn a picture of racism and discrimination that most people will fault you for.
However, since we regularly have had people coming in asking where nice majority-black areas are, or majority-Asian, or majority-Jewish, etc etc.. we DO allow the "majority-white" question, so long as it is asked in a nice way, without racist overtones. As was the case with the original post, so, no problems.

But yes, America is a vastly large country, and attitudes about how people discuss race openly vary greatly by region from the "hush - we don't talk about that" in the Pacific Northwest, to daily conversations about it in the deep South, to everything in-between. Just remember, it's not necessarily what you say, it's HOW you say it here. The freedoms we have here allow you to seek out a very mixed community if you wish to enrich yourself into a variety of cultures, or, to seek out a more homogeneous area and just "visit" those areas - whichever you are more comfortable with.

Areas to look at depending on where you find a job, as you'll find you want to live as close to work as possible due to our traffic:

North of the City: Alpharetta, John's Creek
NorthEast of the City: Suwanee (suburban yuppie-somewhat)
NorthWest of the City: Kennesaw (upper-middle income somewhat multi-cultural in some areas, white yuppie in others)
South of the City: Peachtree City

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-22-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta