U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 PM

313 posts, read 1,058,863 times

Advertisements

I want to know what the commute would be like if one worked at the perimeter and lived in east cobb...I also would like any info regarding the house and/or townhome rental costs for the east cobb area that is in the lassiter HS district. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If there are nice apt/condo/townhome communities in this area I am targeting...please indulge. The rental would need to be in a family friendly area. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM

15,103 posts, read 24,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I want to know what the commute would be like if one worked at the perimeter and lived in east cobb...I also would like any info regarding the house and/or townhome rental costs for the east cobb area that is in the lassiter HS district. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If there are nice apt/condo/townhome communities in this area I am targeting...please indulge. The rental would need to be in a family friendly area. Thanks!

There are no apartments, townhomes, or condos in the Lassiter High School district whatsoever. There is one (and only one--the first!) brand-new townhome community (very small) in the nearby Pope High district at the corner of Lassiter Road and Johnson Ferry.

You can find nice apartments, condos, townhomes in the other districts that border Lassiter High--Sprayberry High, Sequoyah High+Woodstock High (in Cherokee County especially along Hwy 92), and in the Roswell High district in neighboring Roswell.

I also recommend looking for apartments, condos, or townhomes in the Wheeler High District (nice!). You can try the Walton High area as well (it's the closest part of East Cobb to the Perimeter area, but the apartment, condos, and townhomes in the Walton area will be pretty expensive!).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Thank you...I had a feeling there wouldnt be much in the way of that kind of housing. If that is the case then...what is the average rent of a home in those neighborhoods that are zoned for Lassiter HS. I am not talking cream of the crop home...just maybe an older neighborhood where the homes are average sized...but decently maintained.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

15,103 posts, read 24,168,407 times
Quote:
Thank you...I had a feeling there wouldnt be much in the way of that kind of housing. If that is the case then...what is the average rent of a home in those neighborhoods that are zoned for Lassiter HS. I am not talking cream of the crop home...just maybe an older neighborhood where the homes are average sized...but decently maintained.
I'm not sure of rental prices for a modest home in that area...but I'm sure you find out pretty easily. And there are definitely plenty of modest-like homes in older neighborhoods to rent. Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,865,114 times
Commute should be acceptable. Roads like Johnson Ferry, etc... Just don't commute any farther East from Marietta/East Cobb than Dunwoody.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Thank you guys...I am researching for friends here in CA...I am GA native hoping to get my family back home as well. These folks have had such a meager existence out here in southern CA because in CA average folks work very hard to have so little and it can be very tiring. I am hoping I can help them with my previous knowledge of the area and my connections. This forum is one of my great sources for current info on the area.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:57 PM

If they have no money saved up then they may be a little better off because of lower cost of living, though depending on their jobs pay won't be as high as out in Calif so it's all relative.

However, they will probably be able to cash in on a stable increasing real estate market which isn't as easy to get into in Calif due to the already high housing prices.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,286,906 times
Quote:
Go to Craigslist, select Atlanta, select apts/housing for rent, type Lassiter into the search field and press the button.

When I did this just now I got 38 results. Rents started at $1000 and the majority seemed to be in the $1000 to $1300 range. (Others ranged all the way up to $2500).

If CL is a reasonable guide, I'd say rents have declined some since we moved to this area (we're in the Lassiter zone) in 2002 and rented a modest home for $1350. At the time, that was pretty much the rock bottom rent around here. I presume declining rents are another effect of the recession.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM

If I were them, and they have the credit, I'd buy a condo (not a townhome). They are really good deals right now b/c the market is saturated mostly due to new condo developments. When inventory clears out, they will most likely go up.

They should check out the new glass-building condo towers along Power's Ferry. I have heard they are having difficulty selling them.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:04 PM

I dont know...they will probably have to keep their real estate (they have condo) and rent it out until the market picks up....it is still very high out here and still not alot of buyers...especially in the condo market. I ahve no idea what their equity is in that property either.

I am imagining...they could rent a modest, older home...or a condo...for nearly the same as their mortgage or cheaper....and they would be even. I am merely guessing on their behalf right now. Anything would be an improvement over what they have in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta