Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:24 PM

9 posts, read 42,880 times

Advertisements

do one have to worry about snakes in their yards in atlanta, i was thinking of moving to dallas but heard about the snakes and changed my mind, so any information will help but this matter to rest thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damarg View Post
do one have to worry about snakes in their yards in atlanta
I never have to worry about snakes in my yard.

(They all seem to be doing just fine!)

Seriously, it is rare to see a snake on the lawn unless it's just passing though. They seem to like hiding in underbrush and cool, dark places, so keep the lawn mowed and remove anything that might attract rodents (a snake's favorite food).

Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Check out this thread for info on snakes. I wouldn't really worry about them unless you're wondering around the mountains in north Georgia.

//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...ghlight=snakes

Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Yeah.. here is a copy/paste from a post I did via that link above:

Copperheads are the most common poisonous snake. You can get them anywhere but they're not "real bad" if you keep your grass cut short and keep things like piles of wood neat or kept in enclosed outhouses.

Cottonmouths (more poisonous) are usually only found near water (streams, lakes, etc), and again, if grass is kept shut it's no prob. Most other snakes are small earth snakes, brown snakes, rat snakes, etc. Some small breeds of timber rattlers can be found in the N. Ga. mountains.

Dallas, GA. is close to where I live (Powder Springs). I have a 1 acre yard in a neighborhood in the town. Actually, until about a year ago I went for years without ever seeing a snake in my yard. I do have dogs, and keep the grass short as well. Two years ago and last year though, I did see an increase in snakes in my yard even with the dogs, but they were limited to Rat snakes and a couple of the smaller Earth snakes (knock on wood).

Even though there is development in these areas we have lots of hawks in the area, too. Cats, other critters, etc... all of which love eating snakes. I've certainly not heard of any "infestations". Snakes can show up anywhere. A few years back a Rattlesnake actually showed up on the Silver Comet Trail right in the middle of built-up Smyrna (some doof actually picked it up), and they're supposed to be extinct in that area of Atlanta. So, they can be anywhere you go, except perhaps Manhattan or downtown L.A., and even then, you never know.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 42,880 times
thank you so much i think now i can put this matter to rest

Old 03-15-2007, 02:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damarg View Post
do one have to worry about snakes in their yards in atlanta, i was thinking of moving to dallas but heard about the snakes and changed my mind, so any information will help but this matter to rest thank you
Snakes? I still haven't seen one down here in two years. :-( Although we have some little lizards that scurry around our porch in the summer and soak up the sun. :-)

Personally, I think the cockroaches have eaten them. :-) :-)

Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM

31 posts, read 158,820 times
Default snakes in alfaretta?

Hi. We are thinking of relocating from El Paso to Alfaretta. What kind of snakes are there and do you see them often? What kind of critters are there too? We have scorpions but we live in an older neighborhood and very rarely see them. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Hmm alpharetta is pretty urban so i doubt you will anything at all.. But ring snakes are common, black widows are a possibility (they always find their way inside your home somehow. Nasty things).

Squirrels, racoons and deer are in the metro but i doubt you will see any.

Green Anoles and house geckos will be your most common friend along with house type spiders, ants (and lots of ants), and various beetles.

We have the small brown scorpions, but they are rare. Chances are you will never see one anywhere, but if you ask around, people have spotted them. They typically make a run for your house when its been raining outside for a few days and they want to avoid that

Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship View Post
Hi. We are thinking of relocating from El Paso to Alfaretta. What kind of snakes are there and do you see them often? What kind of critters are there too? We have scorpions but we live in an older neighborhood and very rarely see them. Thanks for the info.
When you leave El Paso, make sure to put "Alfaretta" into the GPS and let us all know how the trip goes for you!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship View Post
Note that it's "Alpharetta".

And aside from nonpoisonous snakes like Rat/Bull snakes, garden snakes, green tree snakes, and tiny "earth snakes", there are only two others that for the most part are poisonous. The "Copperhead" and the "Cottonmouth". The Copperhead might be found in yards and subdivisions and while poisonous is very very rarely fatal (just painful). The Cottonmouth is found closer to water and is more poisonous and aggressive. North Georgia has Pygmy Rattlesnakes but they're rare to see, and the South/coastal areas have the Eastern Diamondback and Coral snakes - very poisonous but do not come into the Atlanta region - too far North.

Most will say they've never seen a snake, but they ARE around. A neighbor had a friend once who was in the critter removal business and they made a bet. The neighbor said they had never seen a snake and there were none his his yard. The critter friend spent two hours in the guy's yard and found 3 live snakes (all nonpoisonous). The moral - they are there - they just don't want to be around you any more than you, them. Just be in the habit of NOT reaching under things like wood, logs, rocks, etc. without looking carefully, keep your yard mowed, etc., and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta