Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM

33 posts, read 121,096 times

Advertisements

I recently attended an out of state teacher fair in MI and was offered a teaching position with Gwinnett County Public Schools. Looking for an area in Gwinnett that has affordable housing, good schools (our son will be in 4th grade) and diversity. We are a couple of mixed ethnicities, Black/White and Hispanic. I want to make sure we find a place that my son will receive an excellent education and where we will all feel accepted. We seem to have it all in MI but want to leave the winters behind.
MinMI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Do you know which school yet? Will your spouse be working? If so, any idea where.

Gwinnett is huge -- and congestion is awful.

Perhaps a few more details -- including what you can spend, what type of house, etc might help us help you better.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 AM

75 posts, read 324,608 times
You can find it all here , but I agree with lastmininutemom, Gwinnett is huge and congestion can be awful. We need more details.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM

33 posts, read 121,096 times
Default NOt sure which school yet

I am not sure which school yet. That worries me. They could stick me anywhere. Just trying to gather info so i can make a request. Also need to know where to look for jobs for my husband. He has worked on a hog farm for the last 15 years but i have not seen any that there any hog farms in job searches. I am thinking he would have ot find someing else. It is all up in the air. Just beginning to research. Also want an area that is big on sports for my son and some where safe. We could get into a nice home here in Mi for 150,000+ and would like to stay in around there. I am hearing there is not much for that and the traffic is bad and some schools are questionable.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,044 times
For 150,000 to 200,000 range, North gwinnett is probably only option. School districts like North Gwinnett, Collins Hill, Dacula, Grayson and Mills Creek. You probably only can buy existing home for that price. Most of areas are considered newly developing area. So do expect some growing pains.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:13 PM

183 posts, read 1,007,032 times
Try looking into Bethelem or Winder...That's North Gwinnett. Your husband may be able to find work there as well. I agree with the rest of the posts, Stay to the north side! pm me if I can help in any way! Good luck to you nd your family!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:03 PM

85 posts, read 405,766 times
As an Atlanta native you will find alot of bias against mixed couples.
Nothing may be said to you but you will feel eyes boring into your back.
Any red state is the same....stick with blue states for so-called "diversity', whatever that means.
My cousin married a black woman and both were miserable, They finally moved to Michigan where they continue to live happily.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
For 150,000 to 200,000 range, North gwinnett is probably only option. School districts like North Gwinnett, Collins Hill, Dacula, Grayson and Mills Creek. You probably only can buy existing home for that price. Most of areas are considered newly developing area. So do expect some growing pains.

Not going to find much in Dacula or Mill Creek district at 150-200K
The two zip codes 30019 and 30011 each have an average home price for January coming in at $268,000 and $284,000.

Lawrenceville is less in price, Grayson is equal to Dacula.
Things are changing in this area and quickly. There are 3 new approved (as if we need them) developments, starting prices? $350,000.00, $450,000.00 and $600,000.00

Good Luck on your search, but you will need to raise your purchase price if you want a good school district and calm neighborhood to raise the kids.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
Try looking into Bethelem or Winder...That's North Gwinnett. Your husband may be able to find work there as well. I agree with the rest of the posts, Stay to the north side! pm me if I can help in any way! Good luck to you nd your family!
Bethlehem and Winderup! are located in Barrow County not Gwinnett.
Auburn is split. Half Gwinnett, half Barrow.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff30329 View Post
As an Atlanta native you will find alot of bias against mixed couples.
Nothing may be said to you but you will feel eyes boring into your back.
Any red state is the same....stick with blue states for so-called "diversity', whatever that means.
My cousin married a black woman and both were miserable, They finally moved to Michigan where they continue to live happily.

My husband and I are a mixed couple with a three year old child and have not had any trouble at all. I'm sure it depends on the area that you are in though.

Interestingly enough, we had the hardest time living in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta