Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:35 AM

304 posts, read 856,369 times

Advertisements

Is it a bad time to move to Atlanta with this economy? I am an RN my husband is a graphic designer...I don't think i'll have a problem finding a job, but i am not sure about my husband...I need to get out of NYC...We can put 10% on a house---great credit---enough emergency money for 1year ---
Please be honest with is it REALLY this bad in Georgia?
Ps: we have a one year old son too.
thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
GA is a GREAT state for families. It really depends on why you are moving and what you are trying to get out of the place. GA is not for everyone. Have you visited it yet? You can pretty much buy whatever you want for whatever you plan on spending. You can eat at some of the best places in the US (coming from CA I know good food but GA's food is better I think). People are friendly. Homes are big. The nightlife is great. GA is clean and beautiful and you will either like it right away or dislike it right away (or grow to love it). BUT if you do not have a job DO NOT MOVE! I thought it would be easy to find work too in Finance for either myself or my husband (I actually was going to open a business, that was the plan). We were told that there was a shortage of Accountants. When we moved the economy started to take a turn for the worse and the worse progressed. GA is NOT a place you want to be if you have no income REALLY! You better be well connected too, GA still operates under the good old boys system and you better have connections. Do you know people there? After 7 months we had to move. I would recommend GA to anyone that has a transferable job and or if the economy was better I would say oh just move. But in this economy I would strongly suggest to stay put.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
You can get great deals on condos right now in ATL since developers built them too quickly. You could probably rent or sell it in 5 years unless developers start up again (I don't think that's likely except in Cumberland/Galleria at the I-75/I-285 interchange) I'm not sure what you mean by 10% on a house. That depends on the house price and homes range from $100ks up into the $10millions... Did you have a particular home/area in mind?

Sounds like your husband may have to work intown to have best job selection based on his profession. Sadly, as a nurse you could have lived pretty much anywhere in metro ATL and still been near a hospital therefore saving a lot of money.

Make sure you find your jobs first -- it will decide where you live. Imagine almost the NYC city limit population spread over 12 times the area of NYC city limits with only two subway lines... That's metro Atlanta and as you can imagine you can't live too far from where you work since instead of walking they are driving in cars :-)

Last edited by netdragon; 01-25-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
Is it a bad time to move to Atlanta with this economy? I am an RN my husband is a graphic designer...I don't think i'll have a problem finding a job, but i am not sure about my husband...I need to get out of NYC...We can put 10% on a house---great credit---enough emergency money for 1year ---
Please be honest with is it REALLY this bad in Georgia?
Ps: we have a one year old son too.
thanks guys!
Wait. Don't move this year, wait it out, If you were solo Id say yeah, but you have a family so wait it out.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
GA is NOT a place you want to be if you have no income REALLY! You better be well connected too, GA still operates under the good old boys system and you better have connections. Do you know people there? After 7 months we had to move.
Dang Bayarea-girl yall moved?... Where yall at now?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Are you both currently employed in NY?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
You can get great deals on condos right now in ATL since developers built them too quickly. You could probably rent or sell it in 5 years unless developers start up again (I don't think that's likely except in Cumberland/Galleria at the I-75/I-285 interchange) I'm not sure what you mean by 10% on a house. That depends on the house price and homes range from $100ks up into the $10millions... Did you have a particular home/area in mind?

Sounds like your husband may have to work intown to have best job selection based on his profession. Sadly, as a nurse you could have lived pretty much anywhere in metro ATL and still been near a hospital therefore saving a lot of money.

Make sure you find your jobs first -- it will decide where you live. Imagine almost the NYC city limit population spread over 12 times the area of NYC city limits with only two subway lines... That's metro Atlanta and as you can imagine you can't live too far from where you work since instead of walking they are driving in cars :-)

Actually there is 3 lines the North is broken up into 2 lines doraville line and north springs line both are long lines. but the train runs North, northeast, south, east ,and west it bascially covers the main areas of Atlanta like buisnes districts Airport downtown midtown buckhead all the sporting event areas etc. But overall Ga is a great place real estate is 10 times cheaper than NYC Nightlife is good social scene is great But i would recommend staying in cobb/ Vinnings are sandy springs are buckhead maybe of druid hills , But yeah move here with a job are you will be A atl bashers after about 6 months

Old 01-25-2009, 02:18 PM

381 posts, read 506,821 times
my wife is an RN, the hospital that hired her paid for travel expenses. i have a degree in graphic design but i was working as a network admin for Cirque du Soleil in Orlando. graphic design jobs are usually hired internally before it is posted to the public.

we moved to ATL in 2007 to enroll our son in the Bedford School. they were highly recommended for my son's asperger syndrome.

most of the jobs i found were in the north end, the school is located in the south end (close to PTC). unfortunately, i am still unemployed but we are still financial secure.

i would suggest spending some time in ATL and interview for some jobs before making the commitment to move. it's a home buyers market, but first, you need to secure jobs to qualify for a home loan.

i need to mention this, hospitals are also feeling the economy crunch. they have a hiring freeze at some locations and some have even started laying of nurses.

-a|ex

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM

304 posts, read 856,369 times
350k house...Vinings- Smyrna or North Decatur or Fayetteville
We both hsve great jobs in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post

Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 AM

165 posts, read 548,715 times
Nursing jobs pay well down here. You'll land a job as soon as you release resumes to the local market. GL for your hubby though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta