Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 39,866 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning to relocate this summer to Atlanta. I have accepted a job in Vinings, he's a teacher and is currently looking. The openings in his teaching field, (physical education, girls basketball coach) seem to be in Dekalb county. I know this is kind of the opposite direction of Vinings so I was wondering if there were any safe, nice, towns in between the two? If he can't secure a job I think he will try and sub for awhile and start working on his master's.

We are scheduled to take a 4 day trip near the end of March too look around and see some sights. We plan on renting for the first year, are there any complexes or towns you'd recommend driving around in for awhile? Also what are some fun places to eat, or things to do? We got tickets for the Hawks vs Celtics game but other than that we have no definte plans. Our hotel is in Vinings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
Atlanta has a perimeter highway (I-285) around it. Vinings is located just outside the northwest quadrant of the perimeter. DeKalb county is on the east side of the perimeter. There are no "towns" in between -- the area inside the perimeter is called "ITP" (very cleverly for "inside the perimeter"). DeKalb is a BIG county and stretches a long way from north to south. I-285 has horrible, horrible traffic during rush hour. But cutting through town is also extremely slow. My best advice would be for your boyfriend to try desperately to find a job in Cobb county. If you must have jobs in opposite directions, Buckhead is kind of in the middle of the 2 (depending on where he ends up in DeKalb county), but apartments there are very expensive.

Best case scenario, he gets a job close to you in Vinings and y'all can live in Vinings or further outside the perimeter (since the prices are generally much better OTP than ITP).

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Hi.

The latest rumor is that DeKalb may cut middle school sports next year... which means that the coaching jobs at least will be harder to get.)

PE jobs are hard to find in good economies -- harder in worse ones.

As I have said to every one who is consider moving here for teaching jobs, you must aggressively look in every school system in metro Atlanta.

Cobb, Fulton, City of Atlanta, City of Decatur, Gwinnett, Cherokee, Forsyth, Fayette, Cities of Marietta and Buford, Rockdale, Douglas ...etc

Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM

167 posts, read 864,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Hi.

The latest rumor is that DeKalb may cut middle school sports next year... which means that the coaching jobs at least will be harder to get.)

PE jobs are hard to find in good economies -- harder in worse ones.

As I have said to every one who is consider moving here for teaching jobs, you must aggressively look in every school system in metro Atlanta.

Cobb, Fulton, City of Atlanta, City of Decatur, Gwinnett, Cherokee, Forsyth, Fayette, Cities of Marietta and Buford, Rockdale, Douglas ...etc
I agree. Take whatever you can get. Teachers hop over county lines alot around here if something opens up later. There is a state mandate for physical education, so positions for that subject area are still here, but like lastminutemom said- they are making cuts everywhere, including sports (big gasp). If you can, try to find something that is a morning coutercommute. Even if it seems far away by distance, it may take less time in traffic. Douglas maybe even Bartow county up by Cartersville? Just a thought.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Atlanta has a perimeter highway (I-285) around it. Vinings is located just outside the northwest quadrant of the perimeter.
My sincere apologies if this is pedantic, but Vinings is actually located ITP (inside of the I-285 loop) ... the area outside the loop is all Smyrna for the most part. However, Vinings is also on the Cobb County (west) side of the river, which is why it isn't in Atlanta proper. Or Fulton County.

All of the other advice you gave is quite good!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My sincere apologies if this is pedantic, but Vinings is actually located ITP (inside of the I-285 loop) ... the area outside the loop is all Smyrna for the most part. However, Vinings is also on the Cobb County (west) side of the river, which is why it isn't in Atlanta proper. Or Fulton County.

All of the other advice you gave is quite good!
And yet, to those of us in Decatur, it might as well be Alabama.

Sorry, I forget that Vinings is in, Smyrna is out -- It's all Smynings to me.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
And yet, to those of us in Decatur, it might as well be Alabama.
It's right there! See!!

(Pointing out window)

Quote:
Sorry, I forget that Vinings is in, Smyrna is out -- It's all Smynings to me.
True Vinings is the pure essence of Vinings. Most of Smyrna has to get by on the fumes wafting over the border. And Mableton basks in the purity of clean air which is largely free of them both, hehehe...

(Okay, it's not that clean... But...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta