Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Home Depot to slash 7,000 jobs | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/01/26/home_depot_layoffs.html - broken link)

I'm sure that people will comment on the (lack of) service in many of that company's retail stores, but my wife still works at Home Depot's Corporate HQ (aka "Store Support Center") in Smyrna, and it sounds like a fairly large percentage of the folks she knows are gone as of this morning, or will be by the end of the week.

These aren't the people who can sometimes make shopping at HD a crappy experience. Many of those folks were underpaid and overworked, and I think not given enough credit for the efforts they made to try to make HD a sane and functional company in spite of outdated processes and other obstacles tossed at them by those who had more rank in the company.

I feel sorry for anyone who works hard and does a good job and gets this sort of thing in return. I realize the economy isn't HD's fault, but I do hope these people are able to find new jobs ASAP.

*Sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
When I worked at Delta, we called HD, Delta North as several people left for there when Delta was going thru bankruptcy. It does suck. Any business consumer driven is going to be hurting. Although, from what I read, I thought the majority were HD option stores like Expo and what not.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Right on, Mr Steiner. The same thing is happening in my company - diligent and effective workers are being laid off because of the financial situation. I myself was nominated for a major internal award in December by my division, after being handed a layoff notice by the same organization in November. My current job (the one in which I'm so great I've been nominated for an award) ends this week. Luckily another division was able to find me a different position, and I start with them next week. In the current job climate, I was grateful not to have to start looking outside this company where at least I'm valued (so as to speak).

Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Pretty scary its becoming as of lately. There are so many people on pins and needles at my job but i just cant even let myself start stressing over work again. Sprint cut 6,000 jobs today also.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Even those who have jobs are stressed to their limit. This is no way to live life. Hopefully, CNN analysts are correct, and the turnaround will start to show by the middle of 2009.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Caterpillar is laying off 20,000 jobs. It is scary out there, period. But it is even scarier our there if you read the headlines. Hiring (granted there is not a lot of it right now but some companies are hiring) never makes the headlines so you only see the bad, even in good times. My spouse is currently looking and it is definitely hard, hopefully things will start to level off before too long and gradually improve.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Home Depot to slash 7,000 jobs | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/01/26/home_depot_layoffs.html - broken link)

I'm sure that people will comment on the (lack of) service in many of that company's retail stores, but my wife still works at Home Depot's Corporate HQ (aka "Store Support Center") in Smyrna, and it sounds like a fairly large percentage of the folks she knows are gone as of this morning, or will be by the end of the week.

These aren't the people who can sometimes make shopping at HD a crappy experience. Many of those folks were underpaid and overworked, and I think not given enough credit for the efforts they made to try to make HD a sane and functional company in spite of outdated processes and other obstacles tossed at them by those who had more rank in the company.

I feel sorry for anyone who works hard and does a good job and gets this sort of thing in return. I realize the economy isn't HD's fault, but I do hope these people are able to find new jobs ASAP.

*Sigh*
Thats honorable Steiner....I never had any hatred for Home Depot, I bought a few tools there, I can say the same for Kroger, Wal Mart, McDonalds or any other business out here man. Some people hate these companies and can care less what happens to the employees that are let go. In many opinions these people deserve to lose their job because of where they work, which is the dumbest thing I ever heard. There once was a time employers did everything in their power to keep you as an employee, but now either they lay you off or cut your pay, which can be quite irritating....I guess the 8.2% just went up.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
When I worked at Delta, we called HD, Delta North as several people left for there when Delta was going thru bankruptcy. It does suck. Any business consumer driven is going to be hurting. Although, from what I read, I thought the majority were HD option stores like Expo and what not.
Yes, I think that's right. She's just unlucky enough to know several people in some of the more vulnerable areas at HD HQ. It sounds like MST got hit hard, for example, which is where she started.

When I worked at Unisys and later at NWA, the two companies had fairly large computer centers literally next door to each other, and there was a lot of cross-pollination back and forth. Including me. Twice, arguably.

I work with some former Delta folks now. Good people.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
HD is closing all the Expo stores, plus they're cutting some corporate jobs.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM

15 posts, read 46,382 times
Oh , that's it only 7K ? Surprised it isn't more, but HD Doesn't have many stores in my area at all anyway. Maybe people will wake up and start to see that there is something fundamentally wrong with Capitalism, eh ? Maybe they wont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: