Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,959 times

Advertisements

I bought a home in Smyrna near the E/W connector in November '07 and I just went through a re-appraisal and found out it went up $7,000 from its original appraisal in November ($320k -> $327k). Therefore, that put me in a good situation for the refinance I'm currently going through (4.75% interest ). Has anyone else had similar experiences in metro ATL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Yes, mine went up by 5M in a year (also doing a refi)...however, some friends of mine doing same were shocked to see theirs drop by 30M over the same period, and this after spending 42M on a new kitchen.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,555 times
One thing that we all could agree on is coming.
No matter what appraisal you have had by a bank, with you county tax assessment coming, no matter which, I guarantee everyones home will double in value Kind of a mixed smiley face bag.

All in all, we have to remember that the Atlanta area overall has not taken the appraisal/value hit that many other locations in the nation has, for example Florida, the Northeast, Las Vegas, and California. Even during the boom, Atlanta's overall values increased on average of 4-7% per annum, not the double digit unrealistic amounts of other areas, mostly due to the constant glut of homes.

Even now, we are still experiencing growth of 100k per year, this too will help us recover faster than other areas.

Lastly, an FYI.
If you re-fi and you do not drop your current rate by 200 basis points please make sure your re-fi is closing cost free. If not, unless you do a cost/time valuation it may not be worth the time.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

200 posts, read 983,306 times
We bought our house (unincorported Decatur) in July 07 and refinanced in January 09.

We were worried that the refi appraisal would come in much lower than our previous one. Imagine our happy shock when it came in $15,000 MORE than the last one (after buying, we put in hardwood floors upstairs).

For the prior appraisal, we never saw the appraiser. He/she came by, took photos outside, and a report appeared. This time, the appraiser came inside the house, measured every room, and took interior photos as well as exterior ones.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
For the prior appraisal, we never saw the appraiser. He/she came by, took photos outside, and a report appeared. This time, the appraiser came inside the house, measured every room, and took interior photos as well as exterior ones.
Maybe appraisers are being more careful now that homes are at risk of not continuing to go up in value.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,813 times
I think that intown is faring much better than the burbs in this economy.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,638 times
I've been wondering how closer in homes have done compared to further out...we're intown, and have gained value even through the very tuff economy, but friends out in Forsyth havent fared as well, but not sure this is really the case overall.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
I think that intown is faring much better than the burbs in this economy.
Actually, not the case. The inner suburbs like Vinings and Smyrna are doing much better than many intown locations in Atlanta.

There are a few intown spots in Atlanta that are doing very well, mostly flanking midtown and Buckhead. The rest is suffering just like many suburbs.

Keep in mind that most of the people that work in metro Atlanta don't commute into the city so many don't have a desire to live "intown" if they work in places like the Galleria. Cobb county has 3/4 as many jobs as people, for instance, and considering that kids don't work, that means pretty close to a job for every working person in Cobb.

Cobb County in general is doing well. Even outer Cobb County cities like Kennesaw are doing well. Some areas of West Cobb around Kennesaw Mountain are shooting up big time right now.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:37 PM

381 posts, read 506,788 times
be aware of the closing cost... a good rule of thumb is refinancing if the interest rate is 2% better than current.

i'm in the middle of refinancing as well, from 7.2 to 5.0. i am still renegotiation closing cost. zero closing usually means it is bundled into the mortgage. brokers can give better rates than banks, but be aware that the lender can lock the interest rates, not the brokers. if the broker says he locked the interest rate at 4.7, walk away...

i'm dealing with my bank, they are playing hardball but i still have some leverage over them. fico 820 with the sale of my home in FL, i have $300k sitting in my checking acct. i'm only refinancing $250k on an appraised $395k home.

-a|ex

Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,545 times
if the broker says he locked the interest rate at 4.7, walk away...

i'm dealing with my bank, they are playing hardball but i still have some leverage over them. fico 820 with the sale of my home in FL, i have $300k sitting in my checking acct. i'm only refinancing $250k on an appraised $395k home.

-a|ex[/quote]

I work for a major bank that does Retail and Wholesale Lending, and I have worked on both sides. Brokers do lock rates with Lenders. They are originating the loan for the bank. Also, mortgage rates change like gas prices. You can play "hardball" all you want, but you are not in a position to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta