Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,742 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Myrtle Beach, SC to Atlanta within the next week...I got a promotion from work and that's where it landed me!! Prices are not a concern - My concern is living in a safe area...My office is going to be located in Union City and I will be doing A LOT of traveling! I have no kids, no husband and a puppy!! Any ideas would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Look in the Peachtree City area. It's just South of Union City. Nice area, and not a long commute, though during peak rush hours there will still be some traffic to deal with. You'll be on the same metro side of the area the airport's on too, so that will be helpful. The only disadvantage is that there's no public transit really in that area, so you'll be car-ing it everywhere.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks so much!! I have a company car so that will be NO PROBLEM!!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapetable View Post
Thanks so much!! I have a company car so that will be NO PROBLEM!!
Oh, Grasshopper, remember how traffic is on the beach highway and the by-pass during the season? That's ATL pretty much 6AM-Midnight, any week day...THAT'S why a-greg mentioned transit.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Check out Fairburn too...it's much closer to Union City than PTC and is a quiet mostly residential (not commercial) suburb with an historic downtown.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapetable View Post
I am relocating from Myrtle Beach, SC to Atlanta within the next week...I got a promotion from work and that's where it landed me!! Prices are not a concern - My concern is living in a safe area...My office is going to be located in Union City and I will be doing A LOT of traveling! I have no kids, no husband and a puppy!! Any ideas would be great!!
How often will you be "in the office" I gather from being an experienced business traveler, that it will not be much at all. If you can home office more than office office, then look at some of the condo's in the Peachtree area. If price is not a concern, then you would enjoy it there. You can MARTA to the airport (make sure it is daytime MARTA) and in that area have doggy day care and nice boarding.

I state this because you said you were single with no children. Been there done that, and burb living can prove rather boring. Granted, Peachtree City is a great wonderful area, but it is 99% married families. A single woman on the loose may spur claws from the Stepford wives who patrol the realm in their lavish golf carts (same here for Hamilton Mill) Nothin' beats the downtown scene in any city for the single person. Did my single time in Philadelphia and would not change it for anything!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 AM

That's that complicated thing...I am being promoted to District Manager and my area will include Lagrange / Macon / South Atlanta / Decatur / Convington and Stone Mountain areas...Our zone office is located in Union City and I will have to be there a few days a week, work from home a few days a week and travel a few days...Each week will be composed of a different schedule.

What about the Symrna area? I have inquired about The Village at Lake Park...Or will that be to difficult to travel? I want to buy a home but not until I have been in the area for 6 months...That way I have time to find exactly what I am looking for...

I am not so sure that the "Stepford Wives" area would be good for me...The last thing I need is to be hounded by married women who think I am interested in their "Perfect" little families...I would like an area that is kinda the young professional area if there is such???

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
[quote=Grapetable;7228873] That's that complicated thing...I am being promoted to District Manager and my area will include Lagrange / Macon / South Atlanta / Decatur / Convington and Stone Mountain areas...Our zone office is located in Union City and I will have to be there a few days a week, work from home a few days a week and travel a few days...Each week will be composed of a different schedule.

What about the Symrna area? I have inquired about The Village at Lake Park...Or will that be to difficult to travel? I want to buy a home but not until I have been in the area for 6 months...That way I have time to find exactly what I am looking for...

I am not so sure that the "Stepford Wives" area would be good for me...The last thing I need is to be hounded by married women who think I am interested in their "Perfect" little families...I would like an area that is kinda the young professional area if there is such??? [/quote]

If you like sitting in stop-and-go traffic a few days a week, then Smyrna would be a good idea. The suggestions so far have all been either in the city or south of it, and that is where both your office and your district will be as well. It would not be a smart move for you to live on the opposite side of town from your work area...not in a city with some of the most notorious traffic in the U.S.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Sounds like you need to check out Downtown Decatur. It might be a perfect fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta