Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,067 times

Advertisements

This article from Creative Loafing is posted on Mary Norwood's website. Definitely worth a read:

[URL]http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/norwood_s_vision_for_atlanta/Content?oid=515313[/URL]

Begs a very interesting question. I myself am VERY interested in the 2009 mayoral election, mostly due to all the stuff I have been reading about whites moving into the city and so on.

No doubt race will play a part in this election, but I am not sure the City of Atlanta is ready just yet for a white mayor.

But hey, they said that about America in 2008 and look what happened!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 PM

173 posts, read 521,807 times
When are 2009 mayor elections for atlanta? I also heard Mary Norwood was winning the money race, there is a article on it on ajc.com.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Ok, with the creators comments we will be watching this one!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Hmmmmmm...a white woman as Atlanta's Obama...somehow that sentence just doesn't work.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM

15 posts, read 46,384 times
How is it possible that she is going to be a "post racial" candidate, when her only virtue is being a White woman from Buckhead's Old guard? The only way I could even comprehend Atlanta having a "post racial" candidate, or anywhere in the deep south, is if they are neither Black OR White.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
I read the article, and started posting about her positively....until I read the responses below the article. I was about to give her a thumbs up for being independent, not having any corporate ties and so forth, but...Im going to stay on the fence for that one, until further notice. Some poster in the article stated that she has her own group of cronies as well. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I haven't gotten any good feedback about Mayor Franklin from the locals. But from observation, I notice mostly men complain about her...dare I say old, republican, so called "conservative" types that dont seem to approve of her (Nor would they care for Obama or Hilary in a presidential election, so that raises suspicion for me on these types of complainers. To them seemingly that does not fit the pedigree of what they want in any polititican). That's my observation from my Atlanta travels, and seemingly from what I get from some posters here. I'm not naming anyone, not pointing fingers either. It's just my observation.

I dont know, and cant say much about Franklin, except that she is not favored very much by many here.
I have a few questions for posters here:

1.Can she be re-elected or can she run for re-election?

2.Honestly, who would you vote for on the list if you lived in the city of Atlanta?

3.What would you like to see in a candidate?

As much as I appreciate Clark Howard, we know he will not run...so please no Clark Howard rants or replies. I'm talking about those that are actually going to run, based on their credentials and "promises", who would you vote for?

WOW I MUST SAY THE REPLIES CAME IN FAST!! I only clicked to preview my post thinking I was going to be the first reply, just to see everyone reply so fast. I know what it takes to get everyone's attention on the Atlanta forums...

Last edited by MisterNY; 01-29-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
I'm going to laugh my Ass off if Cynthia McKinney runs.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I read the article, and started posting about her positively....until I read the responses below the article. I was about to give her a thumbs up for being independent, not having any corporate ties and so forth, but...Im going to stay on the fence for that one, until further notice. Some poster in the article stated that she has her own group of cronies as well. I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I haven't gotten any good feedback about Mayor Franklin from the locals. But from observation, I notice mostly men complain about her...dare I say old, republican, so called "conservative" types that dont seem to approve of her (Nor would they care for Obama or Hilary in a presidential election, so that raises suspicion for me on these types of complainers. To them seemingly that does not fit the pedigree of what they want in any polititican). That's my observation from my Atlanta travels, and seemingly from what I get from some some posters here. I'm not naming anyone, not pointing fingers either. It's just my observation.

I dont know, and cant say much about Franklin, except that she is not favored very much by many here.
I have a few questions for posters here:

1.Can she be re-elected or can she run for re-election?

2.Honestly, who would you vote for on the list if you lived in the city of Atlanta?

3.What would you like to see in a candidate?

As much as I appreciate Clark Howard, we know he will not run...so please no Clark Howard rants or replies. I'm talking about those that are actually going to run, based on their credentials and "promises", who would you vote for?

WOW I MUST SAY THE REPLIES CAME IN FAST!! I only clicked to preview my post thinking I was going to be the first reply, just to see everyone reply so fast. I know what it takes to get everyone's attention on the Atlanta forums...
No, Mr. she cannot run again, Thank God!
Now, please don't label all anti Franklin folks as OLD Republican Conservative types. I'm not young but Libertarian.
Most folks who are anti-Franklin have a basic grasp of economics and ethics, both of which Franklin lacks. The city is drowning in debt, panhandlers run the streets, we came as close as a hair on a bunny's hiney of losing Coke to Charlotte, BoA has already announced it's departure, and Shirley? Well, outside of taking care of family with city dib's, she devotes her time to touring China and Africa on the taxpayer's dime, of which just breezed by with a doubling of the property tax. Now, is she the worst, No considering our last illustrious Mayor is in the pokey.
Over the last decade in a half the issue with Atlanta is the fact that our leadership is more self serving than public servants.

What am I looking for?
Someone who loves our city
Someone who has zero tolerance for crime
Someone who does not tolerate panhandling
Someone who honestly, truthfully, believes in Atlanta and wants to make it shine.
Someone who has some type of concept about fiscal budgets.

In regard to Clark, he is out and stated such.

As far as Norwood, if she comes out with the above then she will have my support, if not, NO.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Isn't she a California Girl now, let's hope so for our sake How come when I see her I think Al Sharpton with a sex change

Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
LOL, I would laugh too. You would be surpised how much the black intellecutals despise her.

Back to the OP topic, Atlanta is ready for a nonblack mayor, but remember that black folks vote on party lines too. As long as their is a "conservative" supported candidate running against a "liberal" candidate, you can almost assure yourself that the liberal is going to win the black vote, no matter the race.

I think losing a majority population would allow blacks to gain more politically power. I think this city will never have less than 40% blacks. We would virtually choose whatever candidate we want, because no one has been successfull in segmenting black voting power. We could have the political power without the responsibilties. Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta